SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#414144 - 01/04/16 03:54 PM Korg PA4X initial impressions
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I've had it a few hours.
I played it as it was for an hour or so, and loved the new guitar, sax and piano sounds. It had a few glitches, like changing styles without my telling it to.
I stopped and installed the new Operating System. It took about four minutes and went exactly as it was supposed to.
This stopped the glitches, and it appears to be working perfectly in all aspects now.
I have slightly altered the e.q. settings. I plugged in mic and set everything to automatic. It analyses your voice and adjusts everything for you, just as the 3X did. Mic sounds great, and harmony does too. Default reverb is awesome. I haven't even checked to see what it is set to.
There are some differences in the way it does things regarding Registrations. For one thing they aren't called Registrations, but rather Set Lists. On first glance I like the way it works a lot. I have not tried to use my old Songbook entries; I'll just start over. It takes only about a minute to find settings, and save an entry. I only had about 50 or so set up in the last 3X I had.
There are lots of things that are saved automatically in the Global mode, so no need to do extra steps. The PA900 had gone in that direction as well. For example I plugged in my EC5 foot controller, went to the screen, assigned everything the way I wanted and it was done. No Save step needed.
I put locks on the Split Point, Fingering Modem Mic settings and a couple of other items.
I set one of the programmable buttons for Text/next. I can lift my finger to scroll text. I left the other two buttons to do the sound nuances in the DNC voices. There are lots of new ones and they sound great.
I plugged a Yamaha FC7 into the Damper port and it works fine. Not sure if I will even need the other programmable pedal slot since I have the EC5.
I will have to make changes to the factory Set Lists if I want to use them, and delete the ones I don't want. They are calling up left hand voices I don't want to use for one thing. A matter of seconds! It uses the same menu as the Songbook, so no new learning curve there.
It's a truly great operating system.
More later when I need another break. I'm writing this while eating leftover Gumbo. It gets better the second and third day. The Gumbo I mean. I hope the 4X does too! I'm a happy guy right this minute. Maybe nothing bad will pop up.

#414146 - 01/04/16 04:28 PM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Excited for you Don look forward to hearing more you have peeked my intrest I might look to play one if i can find one I might need to wait for Namm.

#414147 - 01/04/16 04:34 PM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Great on the spot reporting news from the trenches Don....
R U recording tonight also?...best way to get used to a new Kb is out on stage and just go for it...learn as you play live!!
But seriously all the luck in teh world with it can't wait to you REALLY get into the OS and give us the Real pro Lowdown ....

give em hell......eatin' Gumbo at Earnest's Oh man I'm jealous!! cool2

#414151 - 01/04/16 06:27 PM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I'm at home tonight, playing and setting up. Gumbo was HOME MADE.

#414152 - 01/04/16 06:30 PM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

All the better Don... Gives you time to get set up..

#414156 - 01/04/16 07:12 PM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
musicforyourday Offline

how is the Piano compaired to 970 Piano demo sounds great but want first hand report of course when you have a chance.

#414161 - 01/04/16 09:05 PM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I'm not a piano player, but I can definitely tell it sounds better than the PA3X, and I was happy with that. It is different from Yamaha, but that's because it was sampled from a different piano. Yamaha pianos don't sound the same as Steinway, or Kurzweil, or Busendorfer. . I probably spelled those wrong...
I think you could not tell by listening whether it is an arranger or a recorded grand piano.

#414182 - 01/05/16 09:02 AM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
musicforyourday Offline

don did you get 61 0r 76 keys

I would if I got one it would be 76 I think I could put it in my 61 note case but not sure

the sounds from videos sound good bit first hand info is the best .

hope to here more

RJ

#414183 - 01/05/16 09:06 AM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Mine is 61 note.
I was up until 3 a.m. working with it. Making great progress. I will use it tonight at the job and see if I can get some decent recordings of it.

#414185 - 01/05/16 09:22 AM Re: Korg PA4X initial impressions [Re: DonM]
musicforyourday Offline

korg claims 10 times more power for much better sounds after all that is the bottom line

midi file player with lyric and chord read out is a big one for me .

but styles also becoming important too me as well this time of the year I try to make songs and build inventory of all the songs requested to keep tips coming if you know what I mean .

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online