SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#41335 - 07/09/03 10:00 PM Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
MusicMan0075 Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Hi,
First thanks you'all, I really appreciate all the info posted here.
I currently own a kn3000 which I use for one man band kinda gig's. Recently having looked around at other keyboards I realized that I must've been sleeping because technology has moved way beyond the kn3000.
Having looked at the Yamaha, Roland, Solton/Ketron and korg keyboards I decided to stick with Technics because
1. It's user friendly
2. Features are easily accessible (during live gig's)
3. And most of all, because you guys in this forum are just the greatest!

So now I'm considering to buy either the kn6500 or the kn7000 after reading your post I wonder if you can clarify for me which one to buy.
It's my understanding that on both keyboards you can store up to 20 user styles (20 x 4 variations + fill-ins, intro'd and endings) which would be enough for me. So my question is, is there anything else on the kn7000 that would be advantageous to the one man band user over the kn6500?

Thanks again
Mike

#41336 - 07/10/03 02:01 AM Re: Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
As a gigging musician I can assure you that the 7000 has one overriding advantage over the earlier models and that is the SD card which enables infinitely faster loading of registrations without the constant changes of floppies. There are other advantages as well , not least the better sound qualities, the new organ sounds, if you are into those, and the 128 polyphony.
The only disadvantage, to my mind as an advanced wrinkly is the greater weight so a little extra work in the gym may be necessary but believe me, it's worth it.

Trevor

#41337 - 07/10/03 02:04 AM Re: Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
trevorjohn Offline

Loc: Cambridge United Kingdom
I forgot to mention the much more impressive appearance of the 7000 which wows audiences especially if you play facing them.

Trevor

#41338 - 07/10/03 02:05 AM Re: Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
And most of all, because you guys in this forum are just the greatest!

Mike, that one touched me, especially from a guy from brokklyn. ha ha

No contest, the KN7000. I have played professionaly with Technics keyboards since the KN1000. I have owned every new keyboard since the KN1000.
Reasins for the KN7000

1-It's great to look at. ha ha
2-It has a SD memory card. I would buy it just for this reason alone.
I have always carried a mini disk player for songs I do not play myself. Songs that I could no justice to. Now there is no need for the mini disk player, all the songs, mostly audio, are on the SD memory card.
3-Loading time is much faster.
4-No searching for a disk.
5-I can have hundreds of songs instead of the limited amount the diskettes hold.
6-The keys have a better feel.
7-Intermissiom music is now played using my keyboard in song play mode. I can put the lid/cover down and play the songs, and it looks great.
8-Mike, some have compared the sounds and rythms of both instruments to help make a choice. I think of a keyboard as one thought, and the KN7000 is much BETTER.
9-At home, I use the KN7000 as my entertainment center. I get to play my sequences, and the sequences of the generous people on this forum. Life is good.
10-It will pay for itself. You will play better---perform better with the extras--and that means more jobs/gigs/dollars.

Take care Mike, John C.

PS, I was born in Brooklyn. Moved to Queens when I was nine years old.

[This message has been edited by bruno123 (edited 07-10-2003).]

#41339 - 07/10/03 02:23 AM Re: Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
Sandgroper Offline

Loc: Busselton, Western Australia
Hi Mike
here's my opinion, admittedly by one who doesn't play keyboard.(Mel, my wife, plays the k/bd, I blow sax and molest a few vocals, also do some tweaking of rythms, sound edits etc. )BUT, for live gigging, which we do also, there is really no contest ! We only had our KN 6500 for about 10 months before we saw the KN7 and it was love at first sight( and sound ) The speed which the SD loads compared with the floppy is awsome, the SD cards themselves are more durable and are not subject to magnetic interference.
This is before you consider the sounds, which are greatly improved in most sections, especially the organs. I think the speakers are also upgraded. Then you have the expanded 128 note polyphony and you can see there is quite a difference. Hope this helps Mike.
Eddie
OK Technics, just email me and I'll tell you where to send the cheque !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by MusicMan0075:
Hi,
First thanks you'all, I really appreciate all the info posted here.
I currently own a kn3000 which I use for one man band kinda gig's. Recently having looked around at other keyboards I realized that I must've been sleeping because technology has moved way beyond the kn3000.
Having looked at the Yamaha, Roland, Solton/Ketron and korg keyboards I decided to stick with Technics because
1. It's user friendly
2. Features are easily accessible (during live gig's)
3. And most of all, because you guys in this forum are just the greatest!

So now I'm considering to buy either the kn6500 or the kn7000 after reading your post I wonder if you can clarify for me which one to buy.
It's my understanding that on both keyboards you can store up to 20 user styles (20 x 4 variations + fill-ins, intro'd and endings) which would be enough for me. So my question is, is there anything else on the kn7000 that would be advantageous to the one man band user over the kn6500?

Thanks again
Mike

#41340 - 07/10/03 09:26 PM Re: Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
MusicMan0075 Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY, USA
Hey,
I really appreciate all the replies.
I think I'm suffering from analysis paralysis. One of these days I'm just gonna make the decision and purchase the keyboard.
About a dealer, does anyone know a good Technics dealer either in the NY area or online who'll give me a good deal?

Thanks all,
Mike

P.S. John C, being born in Brooklyn is not something you can easily shake off.

#41341 - 07/11/03 06:24 AM Re: Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
P.S. John C, being born in Brooklyn is not something you can easily shake off.

.... And why would he want to ?!?!? ...I'm a native Staten Islander, living in Rhode Island for the past 19 years... I go back a couple of times a year, just to keep the accent fresh!!! ...

'bruno from Brooklyn' (gotta love it!!) ... just one question ... you moved from Brooklyn to Queens???? .. I thought the natural migration was from Brooklyn, over the V - N Bridge to Staten Island (The Rock)
t.

#41342 - 07/11/03 06:34 AM Re: Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Quote:
About a dealer, does anyone know a good Technics dealer either in the NY area or online who'll give me a good deal?

mm ... I don't know about NY dealers, but I bought my kn1000 (11 years ago, and my kn6000 from Caruso Music in New London CT. www.carusomusic.com
t.

#41343 - 07/11/03 12:17 PM Re: Live gig kn6500 vs kn7000
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
'bruno from Brooklyn' (gotta love it!!) ... just one question ... you moved from Brooklyn to Queens???? .. I thought the natural migration was from Brooklyn, over the V - N Bridge to Staten Island

Hi Tony, Yes it was Queens, then Huntinton, Long Island. In 1985 I moved to Central Florida. After moving in, I took some clothes to the local drycleaner. As the clerk started to write my name she asked, "Cintorino, that's IIItalial(with the big long I) isn't it". I replied yes. She returned with, "Well, we don't have many of those around here". I smiled and thought to myself, I hoped I moved into the right place.
The next day I told one of my N. Y. style jokes.
Weeeeeee, right over their heads. Ouch. OK,
Take care Tony, John C.

PS, Bruno is my little 14 pound dog.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online