SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#411041 - 11/08/15 04:49 AM pa900 or psr-970
ItsMikeE Offline

About to buy my first ever arranger keyboard

Planning to do some duo work with vocalist and/or trio work with vocalist and bassist

Shortlist of these two keyboards based on reading online and watching YouTube demos.
Got to try them out a couple of days ago

Both only single microphone input, and no separate vocal output

PSR in-built speakers sounded far better than the Korg, but not much difference through headphones.

Based on a quick play I got more out of the Yamaha, but I was wondering if after taking time to get to know the Korg and how to tweak it I could get more out of it in the long run.

Can anyone with more experience than me advise on the differences? the pros and cons of both?

#411045 - 11/08/15 05:09 AM Re: pa900 or psr-970 [Re: ItsMikeE]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
There is a ton of information to be had here, most of it helpful; BUT, music being the subjective thing that it is, you need to factor in the personal preferences (weight, styles, ergonomics, etc.) of the responders. Both of those two keyboards will do an excellent job. All other things being equal, you need to choose the one that SOUNDS the best to you and that meets your musical needs (ie. the TYPE of music you'll be playing).

I wouldn't worry too much about the single mic input. From what you describe as it's intended use, you should definitely use a separate mixer/PA system. If you can find one, you may also want to check out a Roland BK9. It would (IMO) be competitive with the other two. Good luck on your search. BTW, a cute, talented female vocalist is much more important than which keyboard you use smile smile.

chas

#411046 - 11/08/15 05:16 AM Re: pa900 or psr-970 [Re: ItsMikeE]
shueymusic Offline

Loc: Lebanon, PA
Both are great choices for your first arranger!!

My take... Like the ever flowing river of technology, at some point, you have to dive in!

PSR-970 - Newest... Lot's of features from Tyros 4 & 5.
Pa900 - Older... Light weight.

Again, both are worthy!
Yamaha Genos - RCF M20x - RCF HD10A (Stereo) - Jupiter Pocket Trumpet - Sennheiser e935 - Neumann KMS-104 plus-N

#411050 - 11/08/15 06:16 AM Re: pa900 or psr-970 [Re: cgiles]
ItsMikeE Offline

The reason I mentioned the single mic input is because I would like to use the TC-Helicon / Yamaha equivalent vocal processing
Ideally both for myself and for the vocalist, but looks like this won't be possible.
I intend to use a mixer, which is why a separate out from the vocal processor would be useful.
No doubt you could do this with things that are out of my price range

#411097 - 11/09/15 11:37 AM Re: pa900 or psr-970 [Re: ItsMikeE]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Had the PA 600 for a quite a while and now have the PSR-970.
Korg: Still struggles with out of sync left hand chord triggering.
Electric pianos still based on Fender Rhodes...boring.
Korg...time to get rid of the trash can toms!
Electric guitars, especially in left hand styles are not realistic.
Right hand sounds are OK.
Yamaha: Chord triggering is right on. Electric and Midi Pianos are superb. Electric guitars in both left hand styles and right hand solo work are extremely believable. With the addition of new Live Drums and new midi drums, I no longer have to replace drums with computer VST's. Overall I am blown away by the 970. No wonder dealers are having a hard time keeping them in stock. I've also had good luck with VH-2 harmonizer. The addition of the arpeggiator adds the ability to create some nice contemporary styles as well.

Jingleman

#411107 - 11/09/15 02:20 PM Re: pa900 or psr-970 [Re: ItsMikeE]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
They both have strong points.
PA900: Great vocal harmonizer, really good live sound. Great Musicfinder. Good price and weight.
PSRS970: Easy to just turn on and play. Great variety of styles, terrific guitar sounds.
I like most of the sounds on both instruments. There is no bad choice.
If you like to do really deep editing, go for the Korg.

#411111 - 11/09/15 03:01 PM Re: pa900 or psr-970 [Re: ItsMikeE]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
It seems as though Korg has shot themselves in the foot with the marketing of the pa 300, 600 and 900.

The 600 came out first at what seemed to be a reasonable price. The pa 900 came out after with additional features for a reasonable price upgrade.

Then along comes the pa 300 which is priced more than a gently used 600.

This did not help the value of this whole series of keyboards as their used value dropped like rocks. As opposed to the Yamaha's...which seemed to have held their value much better in the long run.

Maybe the 600 was a dog...as Frank wouldn't even take mine in on trade.

Jingleman

#412831 - 12/10/15 04:08 AM Re: pa900 or psr-970 [Re: jingleman]
ItsMikeE Offline

PSR-S970 it is
Arriving tomorrow

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online