SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#412588 - 12/05/15 03:15 PM Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style
rosetree
Unregistered

I recorded the same Big Band style ending from E-A7, then BK-9 (from two high-quality demos). (Already posted in a recent thread). If the recording quality was really the same, the BK-9 sounds richer. Both demos were line-recorded.

Attachments
ComparisonRolandE-A7-BK-9.mp3 (465 downloads)

Edited by rosetree (12/05/15 03:32 PM)

#412604 - 12/05/15 11:39 PM Re: Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
I recorded the same Big Band style ending from E-A7, then BK-9 (from two high-quality demos). (Already posted in a recent thread). If the recording quality was really the same, the BK-9 sounds richer. Both demos were line-recorded.

Seems like the effects section makes all the difference here.. But where the BK-9 sounds indeed much richer, the style on the E-A7 actually is programmed a bit tricher as there is clearly a trumpet in the background thats not there on the BK9...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#412605 - 12/05/15 11:46 PM Re: Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I don't know whether the muted trumpet was played manually by Sudclavier or of it was part of the style (player was not shown).

#412608 - 12/06/15 03:25 AM Re: Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Assuming Sudclavier has really used a good recording quality, the difference could in part be due to better effects (as Bachus says), but it could also be a different degree of how the samples are compressed. In some forums users also attribute such differences to different quality of the digital-analogue converters. I remember a magazine review in which the differences in sound between Juno Stage and GW8 (despite largely identical waveROM) were explained that way.

Edited by rosetree (12/06/15 03:26 AM)

#412614 - 12/06/15 06:11 AM Re: Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style [Re: ]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Yes, I would agree. The differences are from the recording attributes and the onboard processing to the style, from the style settings itself or the overall keyboard settings. Definitely Yamaha tweaks the settings to optimized demos. I doubt Roland would degrade the quality in their latest model. Each model is state of the art, and could work out perfectly to one's needs and required features.

I know there was a fairly significant differences from the Tyros 4 to Tyros 5 styles of the same name. Overall Yamaha lowered the default DSP effect levels for a less processed sound. A lot of styles were reworked with the newer programming and improved or added voices. The biggest differences in the Tyros 5 styles was the added guitar amp effects and newer DSPs added to certain guitar style parts. Huge upgrade to the realism of the style part and the overall style. I was blown away by the huge improvement in the Country style category, especially the reworked intros/endings.

I am sure there are plenty of improvements in Roland's latest model, but as most pointed out, geared mostly for the Eastern market.

Marcus

#412615 - 12/06/15 07:22 AM Re: Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I'm not sure. I fear it is possible that Roland has reduced sample or AD/DA quality as the BK-9 was aimed at a higher market given the original price of 2,000 euros. And here Roland squeezed a total of 4,700 waveforms into the E-A7. Hope Roland will have their own demos on the website or Soundcloud (or is there a reason they don't?)

#412623 - 12/06/15 11:40 AM Re: Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

I've compiled another comparison audio here, this time I selected two E-A7 Youtube demos, one from the Budapest tradeshow, the other one from Sudclavier (the Jazz and Latin demo), both clearly recorded via line cable. BK-9 recordings coming from Roland's official Soundcloud demos again.
Various pieces, starting with E-A7, then followed by BK-9 after a short pause, then E-A7 again etc.
In all cases I am sorry to say that, whereas the other sounds seem ok, the brass samples of the E-A7 seem to be compressed with little stereo width compared to the BK-9. I think the BK-7m sounds better, probably like the BK-9.

Attachments
Comparison2-E-A7-BK9(2).mp3 (140 downloads)

Edited by rosetree (12/06/15 11:51 AM)

#412636 - 12/06/15 03:52 PM Re: Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style [Re: ]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: rosetree
I've compiled another comparison audio here, this time I selected two E-A7 Youtube demos, one from the Budapest tradeshow, the other one from Sudclavier (the Jazz and Latin demo), both clearly recorded via line cable. BK-9 recordings coming from Roland's official Soundcloud demos again.
Various pieces, starting with E-A7, then followed by BK-9 after a short pause, then E-A7 again etc.
In all cases I am sorry to say that, whereas the other sounds seem ok, the brass samples of the E-A7 seem to be compressed with little stereo width compared to the BK-9. I think the BK-7m sounds better, probably like the BK-9.

Well, if that is the case, hold on to your BK-9s. Someone would have to get a hold of the E-A7 and compare directly to their BK-9 or module model. Would be interesting to know for sure. I for one would not give up on the better sound quality over just a few new features or styles.

Marcus

#412854 - 12/10/15 02:51 PM Re: Direct comparison of E-A7 & BK-9 same style [Re: ]
rosetree
Unregistered

Meanwhile, I asked Sudclavier about the recording quality of the video, and their answer is:
"Bonjour et merci de votre message. Le son de cette vidéo est du MP3, cependant le son que vous pouvez entendre dans la vidéo est tout à fait identique aux sons proposés par l'instrument. Cordialement"
They say the video has normal MP3 audio quality and what you hear is practically identical to what you would hear directly from the E-A7. So, I strongly suppose that some sounds like brass and sax sections are implemented in a compressed way compared to the BK-9, you shouldn't expect the same sound quality throughout all the sound range. Pianos, drums and other sounds seem perfectly ok to me, but with others Roland obviously saw the necessity for compression in view of the thousands of sounds implemented. More quantity than quality, I fear.
Anyway, as long as there are not even official audio demos on the global Roland website or by Roland Corporation on Soundcloud, my doubts about the sound quality will be further nourished. 

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online