SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#411522 - 11/16/15 04:51 PM Performing with more than one arranger
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I have the S970 and Tyros 4. My S970 has become my main gigging board. But I still use the Tyros live from time to time.

When I transfer gigs/sets from one board to the other, I have to make sure that all the styles, voices, multipads etc. transfer correctly for each song in the gig. Where the voices/styles/multipads etc. don't match up, I have to go through each song in each set, for each gig.

Thing is, for me, there's lots of programming for each song in a set...styles, voices, tempos, multipads etc.

I literally 'arrange' all my songs for a gig.

So, if I decide to take my Tyros to a gig with a set arranged on my PSR S970, I have to double check each song.... and vise/versa.

This all makes me wonder how those of you that own different arrangers, and especially, different brand arrangers...make it all work?

Thoughts?

#411548 - 11/17/15 04:00 AM Re: Performing with more than one arranger [Re: guitpic1]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
In my case there is no transferring as I use all different brands plus vArranger. My wife is using my KN7000 so I am left with:

Nord2 and Korg Micro, used together mostly in my band, as I do all the organ work but need other voices.

Audya 76 is my main board for larger gigs, but have coupled it with my S910 for variety in longer, larger engagements.

Roland BK-9 could actually pull off most jobs once I get it set up more. This board is very under appreciated BTW.

My Yamaha S910 is a sweetheart and used for many smaller, quieter gigs, and plays nice with others, but I usually like a little more punch without being intrusive.

In general, I program each board to be gig ready on it's own
and it depends on many factors, including laziness, as to which ones I choose.

#411553 - 11/17/15 07:02 AM Re: Performing with more than one arranger [Re: guitpic1]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
i do the same thing. i have had up to 4 arrangers and all are gig ready on their own. now down to 2 and still do the same thing just in case one would break.

#411557 - 11/17/15 08:35 AM Re: Performing with more than one arranger [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ron, if you are using registrations for both the T4 and S-970 for your songs, and store the registration information (styles, voices, etc...) on a USB drive, they should transfer without any problems. Just plug the drive in a play. Additionally, there are FREE programs available from Michael Bedesem, Jorgen Sorensen and others on the PSR-Tutorial forum that provide for onscreen editing of registrations that make the transition very easy. Now, there will be a problem using onboard styles and voices that are in one keyboard and not in the other, again, those programs will make these problems very easy to cope with.

Hope this helps,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#411561 - 11/17/15 09:12 AM Re: Performing with more than one arranger [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I use a Korg Micro arranger, an Audya 5, and a Yamaha 950. Usually I just use one keyboard, but occasionally I pair two of them up.

Each one has it's strong points and I take the keyboard that is the best fit for the job. I use the Audya if I'm doing lots of salsa and merengue or when a more raw/live sound for other styles such as country and blues/rock. I use the Korg Micro when I need something compact like when I travel abroad, or during the summer months when I don't want to leave my keyboard in the hot car all day-I just bring the KMC into my office, put it under my desk, then when I'm done working it goes with me straight to the gig. The Yamaha is probably the most versatile so that's my first choice on most of my gigs but it's nice to have the variety and freedom to change things up. If I weren't married, I probably have several more keyboards!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#411563 - 11/17/15 09:15 AM Re: Performing with more than one arranger [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
While I understand the logic of having two of the same brands such as a Tyros and PSR, that just seems so boring... Variety is the spice of life!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#411567 - 11/17/15 11:08 AM Re: Performing with more than one arranger [Re: montunoman]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: montunoman
If I weren't married, I probably have several more keyboards!

If I were not married, I would likely be dead broke, sailing around somewhere in the south Pacific or Mediterranean, trying to figure out how to make enough money to support my booze habit, living on a diet of fish and coconuts, and yes, I would likely have more keyboards on the boat that I should have. wink

Cheers,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#411606 - 11/17/15 10:45 PM Re: Performing with more than one arranger [Re: travlin'easy]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Good points. Interesting.

Still, it's more work to keep multiple boards going.

Good ideas here though

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online