SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#411578 - 11/17/15 04:25 PM The power of tune interpretation....
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
I took an hour or so and listened to what I think are the best personal interpretations of randomly selected popular tunes.

What stands out is the power that can be created by a great version of a great piece of music by a "master".

I started with Robb Thomas, of Matchbox 20 fame, and listened to his performance on Daryl's House of the Hall and Oats song "Your Kiss is on my List". He lowered the key, slowed it down and really dug in. My previous favorite of his was the work done with Santana.

Then, I listened to a country dude, Jimmy Wayne, singing a Hall and Oates song, "Sarah Smile" and his own song, "Do You Believe Me Now?".

Next, I listened to Luther Vandross singing "Superstar","A House is not a Home" and "Love Won't Let Me Wait" from a 1996 London concert. I met him in 1983 and found him to be obnoxious as hell, but, man what an interpreter of "message tunes"!

Johny Mathis was next: a live performance of "How do you Keep the music Playing?", followed by my new/old interest, Les McCann, playing "Compared to What?", and singing "With These Hands".

Powerful, introspective material from a wide variety of performers. These tunes were performed over a 30 year period.

The lesson is, whether it's an instrumental or vocal...a ballad or a blues number...a love song or a protest song, we can each put our own stamp on the material we perform...make it our own.

That's when awesome, extremely personal,"tear creating" things can happen.

The power of music is really heart stopping, sometimes.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (11/17/15 04:28 PM)

#411579 - 11/17/15 04:41 PM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Russ I learned a long time ago playing music & singing is an extension of the soul,......when it's right, it's magical for all who hear it, feel it, and understand it.

You can see what I mean in this performance by
Carrie Underwood & Vince Gil....one of my all time favorites...
she controlls the slow groove & the feeling just builds and builds till the end and brings the Audience to a standing frenzy !!
I get the chills every time I watch it!! clap

Edited by Dnj (11/17/15 04:56 PM)

#411580 - 11/17/15 04:48 PM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
People often cry when they hear me sing. smile
Seriously, Russ what you say is absolutely true. Listen to Johnny Cash sing Hurt by NIN, or listen to Joe Cocker do A Little Help From My Friends.

#411583 - 11/17/15 04:59 PM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
(added to your list, Russ)

....along with:
Ain't no way - Aretha Franklin
I'm a fool for you/Drown in my own tears - Ray Charles
What are you doing the rest of my life - Dusty Springfield
A Man's world - James Brown
Autumn Leaves - Miles (piano solo by Hank Jones)
Always on my mind - Willie Nelson
I'll always love you - Whitney Houston
My Way - Sinatra
'round midnight - Oscar Peterson
I'm glad there is you - Gloria Lynne
Cristo Redentor - Donald Byrd
The Thrill is gone - BB King

--and - almost anything by
Tony Bennett, Jimmy Smith, Charley Parker - oh hell, Russ, don't get me started.

chas

Edited by cgiles (11/17/15 05:03 PM)

#411585 - 11/17/15 05:06 PM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Do I Ever Cross Your Mind -Ray Charles always does it for me.

#411602 - 11/17/15 07:30 PM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: btweengigs]
Taike Offline

Loc: Xingyi, Guizhou (China)

#411612 - 11/18/15 05:54 AM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: captain Russ]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rd8VktT8xY

It's been mentioned before but this to me is a fantastic interpertation of a song that everyone's heard a million times. A friend of mine told me he wants this played at his funeral. Now that's a dedication !

Nice topic Captain. As live performers making it our own is what puts us above DJs and Kareoke acts.

Edited by Bill Lewis (11/18/15 05:58 AM)

#411631 - 11/18/15 12:23 PM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: Bill Lewis]

Donny, while personal tastes and convictions make me not completely bowled over by Carrie, I AM completely bowled over, and always am by Vince.

And I had, sadly, forgotten about Eva.

Chas is right about Cash's tune. Again, I wasn't a big fan of his work, but that tune, done that way at that stage of his life made me a fan and personal admirer.

Thanks so much for the input...all well thought out, sincere observations from people I respect and listen to.

(even Mason LOL)!

Russ

#411632 - 11/18/15 12:52 PM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Watching the audiences faces while Carrie & Vince perform this song is the "Magic" Russ... cool2

Edited by Dnj (11/18/15 12:57 PM)

#411634 - 11/18/15 01:16 PM Re: The power of tune interpretation.... [Re: Dnj]

You're right, Donnie. Carrie's just not one of my favorites. Seems like a fine person, though.

Vince is "da man"!

R.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online