SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#411466 - 11/15/15 03:27 PM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
I've had a ball following this forum for all these years. The level of professional opinions on equipment as well other useful musical ideas has been extremely helpful.

Since I don't play out live my needs are different than most here. So I evaluate most of the keyboards I've had by pure sound and how the sound blends with the other instruments to create a realistic sounding ensemble. Running a recording studio up North for over 30 years, I recall the nightmares of trying to get a decent drum sound and the hassle of creating solid arrangements. To my ears...the 970 gives me that freedom without breaking the bank.

I like solid believable electric guitar backgrounds, along with good right hand electric guitar and sax sounds. I finally feel I've got that.

Donny...being a "Jersey Boy", I can't help but feel that the power of the guitars would give you some great Bon Jovi tunes to add to your repertoire.

Anyway...thanks to all of you for making this the best place to come for advice and an occasional chuckle.

Jingleman

#411493 - 11/16/15 10:11 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Eric, B]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
Sounds like the 970 is a great keyboard. I only wish that the PSR series keyboards allowed use of MIDI data to call up (select) Registrations. I use MIDI to call up Registrations on my Tyros; found out via friends that the PSR (and CVP) lines don't do this. The "Data List" even shows that only the Tyros has this capability. I don't know why Yamaha didn't implement this on all lines, as they all seem to use very similar "data structures" or "file structures" (Tyros, PSR, CVP) for Registration files and Registration buttons.

A 970 may be in my future as a 2nd keyboard; for now will be using the Tyros, as I really like being able to have my iPad recall Registration via wireless MIDI to the Tyros whenever I display a song in unrealBook app. Saves me a bunch of button-pressing with every song I play ... maybe a little thing to some, but I've come to rely on it ...

970 (size, weight, sound) must be a fantastic keyboard though!
-Jim

#411537 - 11/16/15 11:47 PM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Dnj]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Eric, B

Donny,
Don't scare me like that. LOL I love my T4...
I think I'll keep the T4 in the studio and the S970 ready for the road ...
The T4 still has a few things I don't want to miss. wink
Eric

Like I said its still early..enjoy..

Though when I played Tyros 4 the thing I liked most about it was the keybed. But I hear the S970 keybed isn't quite the same.

#411547 - 11/17/15 03:55 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

Exactly Nigel it's the same as the S950 etc, .....the T4 and other Tyros units are a different keybed altogether.

#411573 - 11/17/15 02:40 PM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

I know a lot of you guys are more into the keyboard action of synths than I, but the difference I've noticed between the previous Yamaha's and Korg's is minimal. Most keyboards I've played in this price range seem to play about the same. I'm sure a lot of you could tell the difference, which might sway you against a particular keyboard. The Tyros 4 probably does have a better feeling key bed...but they are still going for 3 to 4k
on EBay. To me it's a little like guitars. To play a real nice Strat and then switch over to a Les Paul...the feel is going to be awkward at first, but you eventually adapt. Seems that some of that logic applies to key beds as well.

Jingleman

#411582 - 11/17/15 04:53 PM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Eric, B]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm one who actually prefer the cheapo light action. Semi-weighted is o.k. but starting to hurt my wrists some. I can do things on S970 that I can't on 3x or Tyros. Needless to say, I don't play piano and never have.

#411584 - 11/17/15 05:02 PM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
I'm one who actually prefer the cheapo light action. Semi-weighted is o.k. but starting to hurt my wrists some. I can do things on S970 that I can't on 3x or Tyros. Needless to say, I don't play piano and never have.

DITTO.. keys

#411586 - 11/17/15 05:10 PM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

You're right on Don. Between trigger fingers and arthritis, my hands and fingers are not what they used to be.

Jingleman

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online