SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#411427 - 11/15/15 08:54 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: jingleman]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: jingleman
Donny: I realize that there may be features you find necessary for your live performance needs...but when I see how far Yamaha has come from from the psr 900 and 700 series, it's nothing short of amazing. The quality of the digital converters has now afforded a much more rich and full range sound. The quality of drums both live and midi are in a different league. I have found that the VH-2 tracks quite well. The Yamaha PSR series may never satisfy everyone's needs...but for now, I'm extremely pleased with the 970.

Compared to the Roland's and Korg's I've owned, along with the issues Ketron owners have stated on this forum, (all of which I know you've owned at one time or another) there aren't a lot of options in this price range.

Jingleman

I agree with everything you said. Only competition in the price range is the Korg PA900. It's quite an instrument, and even less expensive, somehow, than the S970. Hope I'm still alive when the PA1000 comes out. smile

#411429 - 11/15/15 08:59 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: jingleman]
Dnj Offline

Donny: I realize that there may be features you find necessary for your live performance needs...but when I see how far Yamaha has come from from the psr 900 and 700 series, it's nothing short of amazing. The quality of the digital converters has now afforded a much more rich and full range sound. The quality of drums both live and midi are in a different league. I have found that the VH-2 tracks quite well. The Yamaha PSR series may never satisfy everyone's needs...but for now, I'm extremely pleased with the 970.

Compared to the Roland's and Korg's I've owned, along with the issues Ketron owners have stated on this forum, (all of which I know you've owned at one time or another) there aren't a lot of options in this price range.

Jingleman

with workarounds the s950/s970 can be very useful performance tools in the right hands and with the right edits & settings....I've been on stage playing KB's 25 yrs before arrangers were ever introduced!!....and have used them from the early 80's with the my first KORG SAS20 and so many more models thru the years up to todays which are mostly incredible sound and style wise,......but as I always said they need to address player feature needs now not sound & styles. As the MOTL increases in technology the TOTl decreases eventually they will meet in the middle with a price between the two at around $25-$2800 & tons will be sold if they listen and open their ears to what PLAYERS are saying....
hopefully with a few more practical needed features.

#411433 - 11/15/15 09:29 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Dnj]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Donny....One of your issues was addressed with the Live Control Knobs. Use one as an "on deck mic vol". I pair that with the 2nd knob to adjust reverb. And those are just two of the many settings you can assign to the knobs.

Eddie

#411435 - 11/15/15 09:36 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Mikem]
Rfinnshw Offline

Loc: Vero Beach, Florida
Originally Posted By: Mikem
Originally Posted By: Scott Langholff
Glad to hear you are enjoying your 970.

However, for the benefit of those who say they are getting the PSR over a Tyros because it's a lot lighter, I would like to point out it's only a few pounds different.

In this case the 970 is 25.57 lbs and the T4 is 31 pounds. So, for someone wanting to get the PSR because of a weight difference of 5.43 lbs and calling that a lightweight keyboard because of it has always made me chuckle through the years.

Sometimes, it's not so much the weight, as it is the volume. This applies to any object. For example, it's easier to lift a 20lb. dumbbell, than it is to lift a 5 by 7 foot frame of the same weight. Not to mention the fact that it's much easier to fit a smaller keyboard into the car.

Great point!

#411436 - 11/15/15 09:37 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: jingleman]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Eric: Glad you are enjoying the 970. After having the Tyros 1 and numerous PSR's along the way...I feel yamaha has finally hit the bullseye with the 970. A joy to play and record with.

Jingleman

Hi Jingleman
I agree with you.
This is the first time I feel that I can take out the S970 and feel Ok leaving the T4 at home... wink
Eric

#411439 - 11/15/15 10:11 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: DonM]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Eric: Glad you are enjoying the 970. After having the Tyros 1 and numerous PSR's along the way...I feel yamaha has finally hit the bullseye with the 970. A joy to play and record with.

Jingleman

Yes they are close but not a bulls-eye yet, both the S950 /S970 are too close to cal sound wise.....there are a few things that still need to be addressed for MY needs.....
manual tilt display, XLR inputs, front access dual USB, better tracking VH processor, Mic master volume control on deck, joystick, sliders,

You just described a Korg.

LOL! Maybe Donny's just beginning to get that subconscious itchy finger feeling again. sofa

#411441 - 11/15/15 10:20 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Eric, B

Jingleman

Hi Jingleman
I agree with you.
This is the first time I feel that I can take out the S970 and feel Ok leaving the T4 at home... wink
Eric

Eric....I think after a while with the s970 your t4 will be on ebay... wink

#411450 - 11/15/15 11:09 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: btweengigs]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: btweengigs
Donny....One of your issues was addressed with the Live Control Knobs. Use one as an "on deck mic vol". I pair that with the 2nd knob to adjust reverb. And those are just two of the many settings you can assign to the knobs.

Eddie

I'm using one to adjust level between lead voices and style; the other to mute style parts on the fly. At least they replace a couple of the many programmable buttons and sliders on Korg.

#411451 - 11/15/15 11:29 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Dnj]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA

Jingleman

Hi Jingleman
I agree with you.
Eric

Donny,
Don't scare me like that. LOL I love my T4...
I think I'll keep the T4 in the studio and the S970 ready for the road ...
The T4 still has a few things I don't want to miss. wink
Eric

Edited by Eric, B (11/15/15 11:33 AM)

#411454 - 11/15/15 11:58 AM Re: I am now part of the Light Weight Gang! [Re: Eric, B]
Dnj Offline

Jingleman

Hi Jingleman
I agree with you.
Eric

Donny,
Don't scare me like that. LOL I love my T4...
I think I'll keep the T4 in the studio and the S970 ready for the road ...
The T4 still has a few things I don't want to miss. wink
Eric

Like I said its still early..enjoy..

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online