SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#411146 - 11/10/15 09:59 AM Songs for Veteran's Day
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Among the many songs I perform tomorrow are: America The Beautiful, God Bless America, all four service hymns, When Johnny Comes Marching Home Again, Theme from Exodus, Taps, Colonel Bogie March, The Cruel War (Peter, Paul & Mary), Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, and anything else along those lines.

Now, since Boo thinks that I have no talent, cannot play the arranger keyboard, or any other instrument for that matter, I have been reluctant to post any songs on this forum. For the most part, I get a chuckle out of his posts along those lines, mainly because I worked 6 to 7 days a week as a musical entertainer while he was busy laying bricks. I didn't get rich, but he didn't either. wink

So Boo, I don't care if you dislike this song, one that I've always loved and performed for decades, both with a guitar and arranger keyboard. And, for those that believe Yamaha's strings are thin, listen to the instrumental interlude in this song. IMO, they are not at all thin sounding, but what the Hell, I'm deaf as a post.

The Cruel War

All the best, and for those that have served, thanks for your service to this great nation,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#411148 - 11/10/15 10:10 AM Re: Songs for Veteran's Day [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Pretty song Gary. I don't remember hearing it before.

#411150 - 11/10/15 10:15 AM Re: Songs for Veteran's Day [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

The song was written during the US Civil War, and later brought out by Peter, Paul & Mary. Thanks for listening, Don.

Gary cool

#411151 - 11/10/15 10:27 AM Re: Songs for Veteran's Day [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

As an ARMY veteran myself I salute you..

May God bless Our Veterans & Armed Forces Men & Women.

#411223 - 11/11/15 04:05 PM Re: Songs for Veteran's Day [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Donny, from an old swabbie (Navy term).

I performed Cruel War today, and I was amazed that there were about a half-dozen people at the assisted living facility that were singing right along with me and knew the song. Some were brought to tears when I sang the last verse. Thought I would post the lyrics so others can enjoy the story they tell.

Cruel War

C Am Dm Em
The cruel war is raging, Johnny has to fight
F Dm C F C
I want to be with him from morning till night.
Am Dm Em
I want to be with him, it grieves my heart so.
F Dm
Won't you let me go with you?
C F C
No, my love, no.

Tomorrow is Sunday, Monday is the day
That your captain will call you, and you must obey.
Your captain will call you, it grieves my heart so.
No, my love, no.

I'll tie back my hair, men's clothing I'll put on.
I'll pass as your comrade as we march along.
I'll pass as your comrade, no one will ever know.
No, my love, no.

Johnny, oh Johnny, I fear you are unkind.
I love you far better than all of mankind.
I love you far better than words can e'er express
Yes, my love, yes.

They marched into battle, she never left his side
'Til a bullet shell struck her and love was denied
A bullet shell struck her, tears came to Johnny's eyes
As he knelt down beside her, she silently died.

The story behind the song is one that most individuals would not fathom in today's world. During the US Civil War, the wives of soldiers, in some instances, dressed in men's clothing, cut their hair short, bound their breasts, and went into battle with their husbands. Many will killed, mostly by disease and wound infections - not fatal gunshots. A few were discovered and sent back home, only to return later as female nurses, which were a rarity during the US Civil War. Nursing on the battle field was strictly a man's job back then. The women nurses were restricted to working in rear areas where they worked with a volunteer group called the US Sanitary Commission. Had it not been for the care of these brave women, the mortality rate from battlefield wounds and subsequent infections would have been considerably higher.

Just some food for thought,

Gary cool

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online