SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#410939 - 11/06/15 11:47 AM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus

when it comes to strings on the Tyros 5, having the ensemble feature puts it 3 steps higher..

The ensemble feature ensures that e.g.in a quartet each instrument sticks to its melody line, e.g. a viola will always play the 2nd voice played in solo mode. I don't see that this is very relevant to a big strings section, but rather for a quartet. So it wouldn't affect my rating for big orchestral strings. But it can also be used for small brass ensembles.

#411021 - 11/07/15 04:07 PM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Mikem
I've seen the video 2 or 3 times already, and I took notes. Judging only this particular video, I prefer the Korg for;

*Piano *Strings *Violin *Blues Style *Balad Style

Strings? You mean you liked those phony, airy 'Ballad Strings'?? shocked They sounded like whipped cream from an aerosol container to me, maybe I'm spoilt from the students' symphonic orchestra I once played in... wink

#411030 - 11/07/15 06:35 PM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Originally Posted By: rosetree
I've seen the video 2 or 3 times already, and I took notes. Judging only this particular video, I prefer the Korg for;

*Piano *Strings *Violin *Blues Style *Balad Style

Strings? You mean you liked those phony, airy 'Ballad Strings'?? shocked They sounded like whipped cream from an aerosol container to me, maybe I'm spoilt from the students' symphonic orchestra I once played in... wink

Yup, I prefer the Korg Strings. Yamaha never had good, realistic Strings. Korg's Strings sounded richer and more realistic. Yamaha's sounded "synthy".

#411033 - 11/07/15 08:26 PM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: Mikem]
KORG80 Offline

Mikem.

"It would be great to have both keyboards!" I agree do you think $10,000 would do it?

God Bless,
Don

#411034 - 11/07/15 09:08 PM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: KORG80]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: KORG80
Mikem.

"It would be great to have both keyboards!" I agree do you think $10,000 would do it?

God Bless,
Don

The Tyros 5 in local stores here (Montreal area) is about $5,300. The Korg will be roughly about $4,000 plus, once it hits stores. That's $9,300 or more. If you add about 15% sales tax, the total comes to over $10,000. Unfortunately, they're out of my league. But I can dream!

God bless you, too. smile

#411038 - 11/08/15 03:40 AM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

YUP, I prefer the Korg Strings. Yamaha never had good, realistic Strings. Korg's Strings sounded richer and more realistic. Yamaha's sounded "synthy".

I listened to the Ballad strings again, I can't believe these convince you, as you like Kurzweil strings so much. What a difference. The Motif Romance Strings are not very realistic either, but to me the sample at least sounds more dense and not so airy.
Generally, for professional strings in hardware instruments, I would always look for additional libraries/ expansions, AFAIK these are the only ones that have separate section samples for violins, viola and celli each.

#411052 - 11/08/15 06:58 AM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: Mikem]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
When I first heard the T5 strings in the video, I thought nice string sound, however when the Korg strings started, a recording I have by the BBC Symphony Orchestra sprang to mind as they really were that good. (If you hear a sampled/synthesised sound and a real (Players and instruments) performance pops into your head it has to be good)

Bill

#411053 - 11/08/15 07:14 AM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: Mikem]
rosetree
Unregistered

I constantly compare with real symphony orchestras, sometimes it reminds me of the one I played in, it's often the case with my library strings or Kurzweil, but not in this case here at all, unless when I hear them with small distant speakers instead of headphones. However, nothing to do about different perceptions.

Edited by rosetree (11/08/15 07:36 AM)

#411070 - 11/08/15 06:35 PM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: ]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree

YUP, I prefer the Korg Strings. Yamaha never had good, realistic Strings. Korg's Strings sounded richer and more realistic. Yamaha's sounded "synthy".

I listened to the Ballad strings again, I can't believe these convince you, as you like Kurzweil strings so much. What a difference. The Motif Romance Strings are not very realistic either, but to me the sample at least sounds more dense and not so airy.
Generally, for professional strings in hardware instruments, I would always look for additional libraries/ expansions, AFAIK these are the only ones that have separate section samples for violins, viola and celli each.

I've just listened to the strings again, and I see what you mean about Korg's sounding "airy". However, I still prefer them to Yamaha's. Korg's sounded more wet, so it's difficult to tell what they would sound like dry/dryer. In other videos I've posted, the Korg's strings sounded more full and rich. It all depends on which individual sounds they choose. On other Tyros demos, the strings sound kind of harsh and a little metallic. Let's be thankful for variety!

#411071 - 11/08/15 06:40 PM Re: New Tyros 5 vs. Korg Pa4X Demo!!! [Re: abacus]
Mikem Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
When I first heard the T5 strings in the video, I thought nice string sound, however when the Korg strings started, a recording I have by the BBC Symphony Orchestra sprang to mind as they really were that good. (If you hear a sampled/synthesised sound and a real (Players and instruments) performance pops into your head it has to be good)

Bill

Korg's strings, in this demo, have a longer decay and more reverb, which gives them a more "spacious" feel. Perhaps, they could have done the same to the Tyros strings, and it would have sounded better. It's hard to compare apples to apples.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online