SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#410800 - 11/04/15 08:08 AM Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs?
newday5229 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada
Please direct me to where I can find help matching music styles on my Yamaha PSR S770 to fit with each of the one hundred (100) songs in my repertoire?
For example, I still have a great old book called. "Roland Style Finder Guide" which listed hundreds of classic (popular) songs and suggested a Roland Music Style (and tempo) to match each one.
It would be Much appreciated if you're able to direct me to a resource to help me save time because I'm not proficient at hearing which style would be the best fit for a particular popular song (mostly songs from the 40's to the 80's).
Thank you.

#410802 - 11/04/15 09:00 AM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: newday5229]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I assume you have looked in the Musicfinder on the 770. There are updated versions of it available as well. Check on www.psrtutorial.com

#410820 - 11/04/15 02:17 PM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: newday5229]
Dnj Online   content

There are no shortcuts!!.....you have to do your "Homework" don't assume what is suggested is the right style for your music,..... take your time and go thru the process of style elimination, there are so many to choose from, trial & error, editing, tweaking, adding OTS sounds, etc,..
you will after some time create of style library for "YOUR songs" that you can be proud of and that will sound terrific to your liking.
If your really "SERIOUS" about your music doing this will be beneficial to you in the long run.

Good Luck

#410824 - 11/04/15 03:01 PM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: newday5229]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Having absolutely no idea what you song list consists of, I suggest going to the PSR Tutorial dot com site and download my MFD that I posted. That will provide you with about 600 songs to select from. Then just delete the ones you don't use. Also, I posted my entire USB thumb drive on that site, which contains a large number of my registrations. Download that as well and copy it to your USB drive and you can view, and use, all the registrations and associated style files that are on the drive, which amounts to thousands of song specific styles.

Donny is right, there is no short cut to this, but that MFD and USB information that I posted is the culmination of two decades of work that you can take advantage of. The rest is up to you.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410829 - 11/04/15 03:18 PM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: newday5229]
DonM Offline

Very kind of you Gary, to share all the work you've done over the years. I prefer to do my own setups, but to someone starting out, your files should be a gold mine.

#410831 - 11/04/15 04:13 PM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: newday5229]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Don, and I hope you are feeling a bit better than you were yesterday.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410832 - 11/04/15 04:37 PM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: newday5229]
DonM Offline

I am better today. I think the past couple of days the drugs were making me very irritable. Even more than usual. smile
The teeth seem to be doing fine but mouth still sore and swollen some. No change in vocals that I can hear, but I haven't tried to sing yet. I'll wait on that until the last possible minute, and if it doesn't work, I'll play instrumentals!

#410833 - 11/04/15 04:54 PM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: newday5229]
Dnj Online   content

Don there's always Tequila!!

#410866 - 11/05/15 10:11 AM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: DonM]
newday5229 Offline

Thank you to this wonderful on-line "community".
I took Don's excellent advice to visit the PSR Tutorial.com site.
Once there I found a 37-page PDF document showing exactly what I was looking for.
Much appreciation for the kind and quick replies. I wonder whom to thank directly for compiling that detailed list?

#410869 - 11/05/15 10:24 AM Re: Which music STYLES are a good match for the songs? [Re: Dnj]
newday5229 Offline

Hi, thank you for encouraging me to go deep into the new Yamaha PSR S770 I currently have on rental and am already planning to purchase.

After several years (through trial and error) I have come up with a solid set of songs and good matching music styles that seem a perfect fit.
I have done this using a Korg MicroArranger which is the same as a Korg PA50SD.
My 2nd favourite style is called, "Groove Bossa". It works great with not only Bossa's but also for songs like Al Green's, "Let's Stay Together"; and Marvin Gaye's, "What's Going On".
My fave style is "Latin Rock" which suits Santana ideally. Variation 3 simulates "Oye Como Va" and all types of audiences usually love it. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online