SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#410424 - 10/29/15 03:33 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Gary I started this by trying to encourage Guitarpic the importance of using the right chords and where to find them. Now you and My buddy DonM took every word personal which no one should ever do. Next time If I run into either one of you, you both can spit in my face and I won't take it personal. I only recorded a dozen or so tunes back in 2000-2001 or whenever. Trying to type lyrics, how to form the chords on the new arranger, work a recorder that was super high tech to me, amplifiers that I never knew anything about including Mics and the list goes on and on, a little box for a re-verb unit , heck the wires were driving me crazy. I gave up on recording anything. I said to myself, SELF, if I'm ever going to get out of the house and gig somewhere I don't need to waste my time recording. I need to learn songs.

All I did back in the day playing sax, was doing backup doo-wop with my voice. So I had my work set out for me. Uncle Dave I rem ember sent me the chords to "Tangerine" All of you helped me get started.

All of those tunes on my site I did with styles with the exception of my midis that DNJ shared with me. That's Georgia and Born To Lose, Oh and I can 't stop loving you, but I can do them with styles too, but the midi's are great. On Bewitched, that is a style that my Australian friend Pete Charlesworth sent to me back in 2000 or whenever when I got my keyboard. Pete also was the one that told me that the Korg i30 was miles ahead of anything else at the time for sequencing, because it was the only one he knew of at the time that copied and pasted easily, so as to Sequence a bunch of tunes that I could play my sax with. I got burned out on playing more in the early 70s when I learned Stan Getz tunes like Girl From Ipanema, Desifinado, Wave, Our Day Will Come etc and tunes more in the Jazz Genre. It seems that every other tune the audience wanted us to play more in the early 70's. The whole band dreaded it , Ha ha. Sorry y'all hate me. From now on everything every one does is great. I applaud all of the members right now for anything they post even after I'm gone. What difference does it make anyway. Who cares? Right, LOL. I'm sorry for insulting any and everyone, truly !!

Edited by brickboo (10/29/15 03:51 PM)

#410425 - 10/29/15 03:39 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Boo, criticize all you want, just don't call us names because we don't do what you do. Wish I COULD do that, but I'm too old to learn and don't want to anyway.
I don't get pissed off very often and I'm sorry I lost it.

#410429 - 10/29/15 04:15 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

I must have gotten of track because I was speaking about GuitarPIC. He even commented that a true blue musician who expects one to use the right chords is a bit over board. He needs to take up twiddly winks or Jacks or start listening to his sister and or brother who have degrees in music because he needs help bad. I'll repeat, he needs help very, very bad, because with an attitude like that he will be guessing the rest of his life why real musicians dodge him and won't play with him. You and Gary 95% of the time if not on the money chord wise are close with few exceptions. I'd work with you anywhere anytime. Hell you're the best guitar picker I know and you don't even have a guitar, friend. And Gary is a real sweetheart. Oops I mean a real dear friend. I never saw Gary get mad before and I fuss at him about sailing by him self and he'd better treat Carol right and not to drink too much kickacrap, oops I mean kickappo juice etc and he's never gotten mae. Man I''m a Jazz enthusiastic and I've had trombone players chew on me for playing a note (a Note) wrong in the melody. I had been playing that note wrong for 5 years' I listened and after playing the note he told me to play for sometime, I couldn't understand how I got started playing that lousy note.
The same thing with the Chords to Moonlight in Vermont. Ask Russ about the chords to that tune in the bridge that are substituted from the original. No true Jazz musician today would even consider playing it the original way Gershwin wrote or who ever. Every tune that a song writer does can be improved by a real Jazz musician who understands the concept of chord Theory.

#410438 - 10/29/15 06:18 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Actually, why not learn few more chords to the song? Nothing wrong with that. It doesn't even matter if audience will acknowledge it or not. We owe it the song and to music in general. Why not do it the best you can, and not just do it .

And we can't measure it how much audience likes it or not.. Most of them would say it's nice even if you do it 10X worse. So, do the best you can. It feels really good once you get it right.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#410440 - 10/29/15 07:51 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Diki reincarnated?

#410441 - 10/29/15 07:53 PM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

I just got off of the phone with my Attorney and he told me to just say I was leaving this post alone after this notice and he said it would just disappear. So I'm taking his advice. Goodbye for this post.

#410447 - 10/30/15 01:03 AM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: brickboo]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By: brickboo
Sawick your midi comes up with VLC media but is says it can't access the code or something to that effect. Thus it won't play on my laptop.

Boo you do know that is a problem you have introduced by installing VLC on your laptop and letting it handle all midi files. Nobody else has that problem. Be careful what you install and don't blame others for something you did yourself. Windows Media Player worked fine for me.

#410479 - 10/30/15 10:25 AM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Don't want to further rock the boat, but I feel that I need to explain a little about how Boo and other jazz soloists think. These folks live and die according to the structure they must use when soloing...a structure set by the rhythm section. A missing dminished chord or a chord played with incorrect notes, for example, necessitates restructuring the line, which is often being played at blinding speed. Monotonic section players live and die as a function of structure. They "run the chords" and when the chords are wrong, everything goes south. Structure must be perfect and understood by ALL participants when "trading fours", for instance.

Horn players; particularly jazz horn players are solely dependent on the section and the structure...can't do without the right structure.

This particularlty affects GOOD horn players and, believe me, Boo is a GREAT horn player. I've known lots of jazz horn players. Maybe it's the constant pressure on the cranium, but;' at first, you think they're dancing a "different tune".

Their focus is so singular that they sometime rub people wrong. But like Boo, most are really intelligent, funny folks.

Sitting in the same room with Boo would be a hoot.

He wears his heart on his sleeve and loves his craft.

He's welcome on my bandstand anytime.

Russ

#410532 - 10/31/15 01:17 AM Re: More, an old song from the 60s that I cannot... [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Doesn't matter what you would play, if you install crap software that is totally in your court.

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online