SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#410386 - 10/29/15 09:01 AM Chord Mode
KORG80 Offline

I am primarily a singer using my keyboard to give me great back up rhythms. Consequently, I invariably have my keyboard in full fingered chord mode with no split point. It is difficult to solo in this mode because if you vary too much from the basic chord the style rhythm screws up. What mode do you guys and most of the demonstrators use when playing and singing?

God Bless,
Don

#410393 - 10/29/15 09:56 AM Re: Chord Mode [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

multi fingered (Ab 2) split always keys

Edited by Dnj (10/29/15 10:00 AM)

#410394 - 10/29/15 09:59 AM Re: Chord Mode [Re: KORG80]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Multi-fingered, default split. (I'm getting lazy since I semi-retired!) wink

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#410396 - 10/29/15 10:12 AM Re: Chord Mode [Re: KORG80]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I normally use Fingered 2 mode, split at F# (G note sounds on leads).
Ketron has a Pianist mode that allows you to use the sustain pedal to hold the chord you are playing until you release the pedal. I think Korg has something similar, but I don't use it. Probably should but my feet are already pretty busy.

#410400 - 10/29/15 10:44 AM Re: Chord Mode [Re: DonM]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks guys. I'll give it a whirl. I might have a bit of a struggle trying to play Gm 9th flatted 13th with just my left hand though!

LOL!!!

God Bless,
Don

#410405 - 10/29/15 11:37 AM Re: Chord Mode [Re: KORG80]
travlin'easy Offline

Don, I find myself playing two handed chords a lot lately, which for me, can be very challenging while trying to remember the lyrics and singing at the same time. And, there are some chords that the keyboard just does not recognize. Thank God for country music - I only need my left hand for those chords. wink

Gary cool

#410406 - 10/29/15 11:41 AM Re: Chord Mode [Re: KORG80]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
I use both but full keyboard mostly,

#410421 - 10/29/15 03:14 PM Re: Chord Mode [Re: KORG80]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: KORG80
Thanks guys. I'll give it a whirl. I might have a bit of a struggle trying to play Gm 9th flatted 13th with just my left hand though!

LOL!!!

God Bless,
Don

Don, that's the thing. Whether jazz, pop, or standards, you don't always have to play the ENTIRE chord. Sometimes two or three notes of the chord with the right inversion (or voicing) and coupled with the right bass note, will convey the essence of the chord (sometimes better than the full chord - Russ can explain this a lot better). The problem is, arrangers, with their 'bass inversion on/off' and different chord recognition algorithms, may not (probably won't) recognize and properly represent what you're trying to convey musically. That's the limitation of Arrangers and the reason I prefer to perform live on organ (that and the fact that I just love jazz organ smile ). You can get around this partially if your arranger keyboard allows you to play manual bass (like the Korg PA series) but that's just not how some people want to use their arrangers (and that's ok).

The only solution; KNOW YOUR INSTRUMENT. know what it will and won't do and how it's going to respond to how you play certain musical passages (how many chord changes will it allow within one measure in a given style?). There is no reason you can't produce a dynamite performance using an arranger (Marco Parisi and many other demo guys prove that) but like anything else, superior performance comes with a price - and that price is practice, practice, practice, 'learn baby learn', know both the limitations AND the potential of your instrument, and finally, be daring, be adventuresome; don't be afraid to try something new or different - your friends (like Boo) will let you know if it worked or not smile.

Now we all know that there is no real substitute for talent, but just because we aren't Oscar Peterson doesn't mean we can't be musically competent. Just don't get an exaggerated sense of how good you are (especially if based on SZ feedback which is not always uh, accurate). You're probably never going be as good as Rory Hoffman, at least not in this lifetime, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't strive to be as good as you CAN be (and I think that's the essence of what Boo was trying to say). I think that at a certain age, there is a tendency to get into a rut, and start playing the same old tunes the same old way and get very comfortable with our mediocrity. I applaud those, especially the older members among us, that continue to learn new tunes and improve their 'chops'. Keep that fire burning.

chas

#410422 - 10/29/15 03:21 PM Re: Chord Mode [Re: KORG80]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well said Chas.

#410426 - 10/29/15 03:46 PM Re: Chord Mode [Re: KORG80]
travlin'easy Offline

Watch that older stuff - Don Mason and I resemble that remark! wink

Gary cool

#410432 - 10/29/15 05:03 PM Re: Chord Mode [Re: travlin'easy]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Watch that older stuff - Don Mason and I resemble that remark! wink

Gary cool

Moi aussi.

smile

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online