SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#409328 - 10/07/15 09:56 PM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Old fart?!?!
I'm not that old. Much younger than Gary. smile

#409334 - 10/08/15 06:02 AM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Old fart?!?!
I'm not that old. Much younger than Gary. smile

Everybody is!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#409351 - 10/08/15 09:35 AM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Gary = Chairman of the Board
DonM = The Southern Gentleman

In no particular order clap

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#409352 - 10/08/15 09:59 AM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Thank you sir - you are a gentleman and a scholar, and there are damned few of us left! wink

Gary cool

#409358 - 10/08/15 02:13 PM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Ever wonder what La Grange was all about?
I plagiarized the following information.

This song is about a house of ill repute. Many people in Texas knew about it, but when the song was released it drew so much attention to the illegal activities going on there that they had to cease operations.

"The Chicken Ranch," or Miss Edna's Boarding House in La Grange, was probably the oldest establishment in Texas, catering to the oldest profession. It was closed down by a zealous TV reporter from Houston, who couldn't find enough vice and corruption to report in Houston. He challenged the governor on the issue of why it continued to operate in fairly plain sight. The governor had no choice but to order the sheriff to close it.

Miss Edna's girls had weekly visits from the local doctors, so they were "clean." The girls spent their money in La Grange and when a new hospital was needed, Miss Edna gave the first and largest donation. The reporter remained on the air crusading against such hideous crimes such as slime in the ice machines of restaurants.

Most of the building still stands, only a room was moved to Dallas for a nightclub. A "Ten to get in" was the price. It is doubtful that The Top ever patronized it, but if they did it was when they were young, as there was a strict dress code for patrons. (thanks, Gary - La Grange, TX)
The place in this song is the subject of the movie The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, staring Dolly Parton and Burt Reynolds. It was eventually made into an off-Broadway play. In a 1985 interview with Spin magazine, ZZ Top bass player Dusty Hill explained: "Did you ever see the movie, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas? That's what it's about. I went there when I was 13. A lot of boys in Texas, when it's time to be a guy, went there and had it done. Fathers took their sons there. You couldn't cuss in there. You couldn't drink. It had an air of respectability. Miss Edna wouldn't stand for no bulls--t. That's the woman that ran the place, and you know she didn't look like Dolly Parton, either. I'll tell you, she was a mean-looking woman. But oil field workers and senators would both be there. The place had been open for over a hundred years, and then this a--hole decides he's going to do an exposé and close it. And he stirred up so much s--t that it had to close. La Grange is a little bitty town, and little towns in Texas are real conservative. But they fought against it. They didn't want it closed, because it was like a landmark. It was on a little ranch outside of town, the Chicken Ranch. Anyway, we wrote this song and put it out, and it was out maybe three months before they closed it. It ticked me off. It was a whorehouse, but anything that lasts a hundred years, there's got to be a reason."
La Grange is a real town in Texas. Coca-Cola had a bottling plant there.
The music is based on a John Lee Hooker song called "Boogie Chillen." Hooker died in 2001 at age 83.
In 1992, Bernard Besman, who owned the copyright to "Boogie Chillen," claimed he had just recently heard the song and sued ZZ Top. After years of litigation, a court ruled that "Boogie Chillen" was in the public domain and ZZ Top was not liable.
This was ZZ Top's biggest hit at the time. They were big in Texas, but it would be a few years before they became nationally known.
The song is based around variations of a single chord. (thanks, James - Tracy, CA)

#409359 - 10/08/15 02:21 PM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Great info, Don. Learned more about that song from your post than I ever dreamed I'd discover on my own.

Thanks old friend,

Gary cool

#409360 - 10/08/15 02:40 PM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

The infamous Chicken Ranch operated as a brothel for more than a century in the countryside near La Grange, Texas before closing on August 1, 1973.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_Ranch_(Texas)

Attachments
Chicken-Ranch-1937.jpg

#409363 - 10/08/15 04:04 PM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
zuki Offline

I was thinking about you today when doing a country song. Thinking "wish I was Don"....Jazz leads just don't go!

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

#409373 - 10/08/15 06:32 PM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: DonM]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny shot those photos when he visited Texas a couple years back, then went to LA for the Synthzone Jam. Don Mason gave the ladies Donny's CD so there was no door charge. wink Atta boy stud muffin! smile clap clap clap

#409375 - 10/08/15 09:30 PM Re: To celebrate the return of Synthzone.. . [Re: zuki]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: zuki
I was thinking about you today when doing a country song. Thinking "wish I was Don"....Jazz leads just don't go!

You gotta dumb yourself down some to play country! smile
But thanks for the compliment!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online