SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#409058 - 09/30/15 07:43 AM Latest rig arrangement
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Guy's

Thought I 'd post a photo of my latest rig arrangement, a line array on the cheap.

It comprises of two Kustom ( Powerworks) PW100T speakers, 100W each, secured together with a piece of 35mm tube (part of an old speaker stand) the bottom one has had the base extended to improve the balance. The bottom amp is an Ashdown After Eight Bass 30w combo acting as a subwoofer.

Mounted on the front is my trusty VLT2 which is set up as follows.

The Mic is a TC Helicon MP75 the button on the mic allows the switching in and out of the harmony and a long press removes all effects to enable you to "Talk" to the audience.

The output of the VLT2 (lead and harmony vocals) is set to mono and feeds the top speaker only. The vocals seem a lot clearer having their own dedicated speaker. singer

The harmony of the VLT2 is triggered by the two small onboard roomsense mics. No Aux, Guitar or Midi input needed and more important no cables. The harmony tracks very well, absolutely no problems.

The tablet takes care of the backing tracks, the App is "Lyric Writer Pro" which syncs the mp3 file and the lyrics. One cable from the tablet to the lower PW100T, the mp3 files (backing tracks) play through this speaker. keys

A mono jack cable plugs into the sub-out socket on the lower PW100T then into the bass amp, plugging the cable in automatically activates the crossover in the PW100T which then sends any sounds below 150hz to the bass amp.

Each of the PW100T amps has three inputs and an onboard mixer, using the EQ settings on three amps it is possible to EQ the vocals, accompanment and the bass separately which is ideal to balance the overall sound.

The cost of the system not including the VLT2 was approx £285.00 (GBP) cheap at half the price

Another big advantage is the overall flexibility of the system which, dependent on the room size, can incorporate one PW100T, one Pw100T and the sub or all three speakers. The last but not least all the speakers are easily moved and fit nicely into the boot (trunk) of most cars. The top speaker can also be used as a satellite in stereo if needed with or without the sub.

All in all it suites my needs down to a tee or as my good lady says until I decide to change it (again) rotfl

All the best

Col headphone

Attachments
DSC00637.JPG

Edited by Saswick (09/30/15 07:45 AM)

#409061 - 09/30/15 07:52 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: Saswick]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Col ... looks nice and neat ... all it needs to complete it is an arranger kb ... keys grin

#409062 - 09/30/15 07:52 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Looks good Col for home .....but wouldn't a Bose compact be a better alternative and lighter to transport if this is the way your going?

#409064 - 09/30/15 07:59 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: Saswick]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
Isn't 150hz little bit to high for cutting highs??

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#409067 - 09/30/15 08:36 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: mirza]
Saswick Offline

Tony, Keyboards are to heavy for this old Guy I just use the pa800 to create some of my tracks. Also the footprint of this setup is very compact ideal for my sort of gig's. I can be tucked in any small corner.

Donny, I already had the speakers so this was just a better way of utilising them. Bose to expensive for one or two gigs a month and as I mentioned the flexibility is very handy. It's a question of Horse's for course's.

Mirza, no choice, the cross over is set by the manufacturer (Kustom or Powerworks) although 150hz seems fairly common for a sub. BTW Lots of folk seem to think a Bass Amp shouldn't be used as a sub but it works for me.

Col

#409068 - 09/30/15 08:53 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: Saswick]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Neat!

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#409069 - 09/30/15 09:10 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: travlin'easy]
Saswick Offline

Donny

I just had a look at the Bose Compact spec.

Power 130W

HF speakers 6 X 2"

LF sub 1 X 8"

http://www.videocorp.com/admin/integracion/pdf/75.pdf

My set up:

Kustom PW100T X 2 + Ashdown Bass Amp

Power 230W ( 2 X 100w + 1 X 30W)

HF speakers 8 X 4.5" plus 2 X 3 ½" piezo drivers

LF sub 1 X 8"

Think I could blow the Bose out of the water. rotfl

Col

#409070 - 09/30/15 09:19 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Col.....no doubt it's more power them the Bose Compact,. I was just suggesting a lighter load to transport if only 2x a month gigging. Do you need more power....or?

#409072 - 09/30/15 09:43 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: Dnj]
Saswick Offline

Hi Donny,

I know you have my well being at heart and thank you for that but, as I said, I already had the two PW100t's which I have been using for quite a while with one or sometimes two on stands. They produce a good sound but they are a touch light in the bass department.

I added the bass amp as a tryout and it works very. I also used to hang the VLT on a mic stand below the tablet and it was a bit cluttered with lots of cables.

This is a lot neater arrangement. the majority of the cables are hidden behind the speakers along with the 4 way mains block.

I hate cables lying about so this setup is ideal for me.

Col

#409073 - 09/30/15 09:49 AM Re: Latest rig arrangement [Re: Saswick]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Col, no doubt that you have twice the power of the Bose L1 Compact, but there is no doubt in mind that the Bose would boggle your mind. There are many of us that have tried nearly every sound system on the market, including some real monsters, but when it comes to sound distribution and clarity, nothing, absolutely nothing, comes remotely close to the Bose L1 systems. I only know of two individuals on this forum that didn't like the Bose systems.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online