SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#408904 - 09/26/15 10:09 AM There's no such thing as too many backups...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
At least that's my philosophy. A few nights ago, I was playing my S-950 in the office/studio, something to help retain what little sanity I have left after six weeks of being housebound. I noticed that I had listed something wrong in one of my registrations and decided to rename it with the proper name. Everything went fine until I saved that registration to the USB drive. For some unexplained reason, the keyboard locked up and I couldn't change style files using registrations or doing it directly from the style categories. Then a message appeared on the screen saying the USB device was disconnected. WEIRD!

I removed the USB, put it back in the keyboard, but nothing changed. I still couldn't change styles and now the USB drive was not showing up at all.

I removed the USB drive and placed it in the PC, and the PC initially saw it, but then I get an error message saying it was not working and to format the drive, which I did. After formatting, the USB drive didn't work at all.

Now, that drive is about 5 years old, and there are thousands of files in it, many of which were style files that linked to registrations and the MFD. Fortunately, I duplicated the USB drive and had the backup hanging on the bulletin board next to my desk. However, the backup drive had not been updated in six months. I also have another backup of the MFD on the PC, which I update monthly, so there was only a single file that needed to be added to bring it up to speed. I just ordered two more Eagle USB drives this afternoon - backups for the backups. wink

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408917 - 09/26/15 01:34 PM Re: There's no such thing as too many backups... [Re: travlin'easy]
Giovanni Offline

Loc: Norwich Norfolk England
Hi Gary , Thank you for sharing this good advice with us all .

I always keep my usb sticks up to date ...We rely on them so much for our music .

I hope you are on the mend !!

#408918 - 09/26/15 01:43 PM Re: There's no such thing as too many backups... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Giovani, still a bit weak and having some bowel issues, so the doc scheduled me for a full colonoscopy October 2nd. I drove the car for the first time a couple days ago, drove to the boat, which is about 40 minutes away. The boat looked nasty from six weeks of neglect, went back yesterday and scrubbed it down. After two hours of scrubbing, I wasn't sure I could make the drive home, but after resting up a bit, I was able to make the drive.

Thanks for asking,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408920 - 09/26/15 03:26 PM Re: There's no such thing as too many backups... [Re: travlin'easy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Jeez Gary...you are really pushing the envelope driving that far and working that hard after all you have been through. Take it easy.

As to the failed thumb drive...I forgot to eject one from my computer the proper way and just pulled it out of the jack. From that point on all I could get was a message to format the drive. I finally did...but it was fried. Fortunately I had a back up stick and all files on a computer. I try to back up everything monthly.

Eddie

#408922 - 09/26/15 03:43 PM Re: There's no such thing as too many backups... [Re: btweengigs]
Bachus Offline

Backup daily.... To bad, our arrangers cant be programmed to backup automatically evvery night.

And then there is saving, whenever you are edditing a file/style/sound/song make sure to have a backup of the orriginal saved somewhere... And then save after every chnage you make..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online