SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#408267 - 09/14/15 04:56 AM Glare
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Played my Tyros 4 outside in the sun for a few hours last Saturday. It was a festival; weather was perfect.

Sun was really bright and I struggled to see the screen with all the glare. Didn't have time to put up an umbrella.

Anyone else dealt with glare?

(also on PSR Tutorial)

#408268 - 09/14/15 05:03 AM Re: Glare [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Don't get me started...

#408270 - 09/14/15 06:15 AM Re: Glare [Re: Dnj]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Perhaps it didn't help much, but at least most TOTL arrangers have a tilt screen, that would allow you at least to avoid a direct reflection of the sun.

However, in the opposite environment, like really dark lighting conditions. I have found the Tyros series and lit buttons to work out quite well to operate. If anything, maybe sometimes too bright, but I really love the tempo button flashing with the orange light keeping measures on time. This visual cue has helped me in many occasions and in less then desirable sound and light environments to get me back on track to the proper timing.

Marcus

#408294 - 09/14/15 10:14 AM Re: Glare [Re: Marcus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Marcus
Perhaps it didn't help much, but at least most TOTL arrangers have a tilt screen, that would allow you at least to avoid a direct reflection of the sun.

With current day hd touchscreens with over 85 degrees viewing angle, a tilting screen soon will belong to the past..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#408348 - 09/15/15 09:57 AM Re: Glare [Re: guitpic1]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
This is one area Yamaha has made great strides in during the past decade. It wasn't too many years ago that if you took the keyboard outdoors, any manufacturer, you not only could not see the screen, but additionally, you could not see any of the indicator LEDs that told you which buttons were activated. Even in the shade, this was a problem. I wrote and called Yamaha on several occasions about this problem and was to rectify the situation. While they still have not utilized super twist LCD technology, they have, beginning with the S-950, switched to a new type of display that can be seen outdoors. You still cannot see it direct sunlight, but it is visible in shaded locations, which is the preferable location to play when outdoors, especially when you're old like me.

Yamaha also explained that the reason they had not addressed this in the past is that only a very tiny fraction of their consumers play outdoors, therefore the issue never seemed to make it to the front burner. When I had a Roland G-800 and a Korg I-3, those screens were nearly invisible outdoors. I'm not sure if any manufacturer has made the progress that Yamaha has in this area.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408350 - 09/15/15 10:14 AM Re: Glare [Re: guitpic1]
124 Offline

I wonder how the new Pa4X screen is. Looks similar to the Pa900. So, any Pa900 guys been outside?

#408381 - 09/16/15 05:44 AM Re: Glare [Re: 124]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
I've probably played outside only once in the past couple of years. If I was to play outside much, I think I would get one of those portable tents

#408388 - 09/16/15 08:35 AM Re: Glare [Re: guitpic1]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
The tent won't help a bunch other then give you some shade. Laptops and keyboard screens leave much to be desired in viewing out doors. I played every Saturday for a farmers market a couple years ago. They changed managers and she didn't like me. She wanted a lady with a guitar. I was getting $150 a gig there for 3 years. I Velcro-ed a painted black cardboard cover over the screen with enough room to read the screen on the arranger and I put the laptop in a cardboard box I spray painted black too. It barely helped. The sun is a %^&%$# on screens.

#408389 - 09/16/15 09:06 AM Re: Glare [Re: guitpic1]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Screen on SD7 seems to be very visible outdoors.

#408391 - 09/16/15 09:10 AM Re: Glare [Re: 124]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: 124
I wonder how the new Pa4X screen is. Looks similar to the Pa900. So, any Pa900 guys been outside?

Actually it looks like the pa4x screen is non reflecting/non glare, i could be mistaken tough

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online