SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#408369 - 09/15/15 05:05 PM BK9 on a band gig
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
So I'm getting settled here in Bluffton South Carolina. Great neighborhood, great new house and lots to explore.

My friend and former sax player in NJ who has been here for about 10 years hooked me up with his Blues/Rock band for a casual gig.

Played on the loading dock of a Marina in Hilton Head. Rained all day on and off and just started to clear at our start time of 7 PM. (I hate outside gigs !!!)
We got started about 7:30 and I had the BK9 and one of my JBL 515XTs. Ran a line out to the main PA.
I used just Hammond and Piano / EP sounds most of the night and a few Brass fills. The BK did great and the band was impressed. Nice to have a keyboard thats fits a number of situations. It has greatly simplified my gear.
If things keep going here I may soon be looking for a second. One for my new music room and one to gig. It does all I could want for any situation.
BTW I noticed a few things on the gig. People here are very receptive to all kinds of music and the feel is definatley laid back. The band has a very varied songlist. The leader took his time picking the next song and the few dancers didn't seem to mind the short wait. People out on the overlooking deck loved us and we got appaluse on almost every tune. I'm sitting in the back in my NJ high energy mode "Lets go Lets go, what's the next tune ? "
A great thing is most gigs here are 3 hours, not the four I'm so used to. Nice !!

#408370 - 09/15/15 05:29 PM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Bill, I played at Hilton Head Marina 3 years ago when I cruised down the ICW in my boat - great place to play, though I was only there one night. I was fortunate in that I had perfect weather. The audiences, as you stated, love diversity. I know you will do very well down there. I was really hoping to be there again this October, but health problems put the kibosh on that. I have a friend that works at that marina as a marine mechanic and lives aboard his houseboat with his lovely wife. You're really gonna love it down there.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408380 - 09/16/15 05:06 AM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: Bill Lewis]
rosetree
Unregistered

Nice report about the BK-9. It doesn't deserve the bad image and sales figures. The BK-7m is already quite good soundwise, and the BK-9 essantially has the range of sounds from BK-7m plus SonicCell (which largely corresponds to Fantom X) plus some SuperNatural sounds plus some additional sounds from SRX expansions. It has a lot to offer.

#408383 - 09/16/15 06:03 AM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
Get well and get back down here. I'd love to crash a gig you were playing here. all I've got to say is "I'm with the band !"
Hang in ther , you'll be sailing again soon.

Rosetree
You are correct. The BK9 has a lot to offer but for some reason gets pushed aside. I think it was designed more for the working musician than the home hobbist. Not enough frills for some I guess. I use my BK7M with my Casio Piano for practice for the real piano feel to keep my technique up.

#408384 - 09/16/15 06:14 AM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: rosetree
Nice report about the BK-9. It doesn't deserve the bad image and sales figures. The BK-7m is already quite good soundwise, and the BK-9 essantially has the range of sounds from BK-7m plus SonicCell (which largely corresponds to Fantom X) plus some SuperNatural sounds plus some additional sounds from SRX expansions. It has a lot to offer.

High quallity Roland sounds, also has a great acoustic and epianos.. There is no reason why it should not hold its own on stage...

The only thing people never seemed to understand is the 2 screens, and it has no midipads, just audioloops, and limited expandabillity... But then who needs such a thing when playing in a band... Also no aftertouch, still not needed when playing keys( piano/epiano/organ) in a band..

I dont think there are many other arrangers offering that much for the money you spend. The BK9 lost when people started comparing it to pa3x and tyros as the other 76 keys arrangers

Edited by Bachus (09/16/15 06:19 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#408385 - 09/16/15 06:56 AM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: Bill Lewis]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
I think it lost when it introduced the weird (but also appreciated by many) dual non-touch screens.

In my view, this was the main thing. I don't agree with this reason, but I am pretty sure it was it.

#408386 - 09/16/15 07:10 AM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: Bachus]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Bill
My business partner retired to Bluffton several years ago and LOVES it. I visited her once and we went we went to a waterfront restaurant, Caption something or other, that looked like it might offer entertainment. My partner is not into the entertainment world so I couldn't get a handle of the are in that regard.

Best of luck to you in your new neighborhood.

Eddie

#408390 - 09/16/15 09:07 AM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: adimatis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: adimatis
I think it lost when it introduced the weird (but also appreciated by many) dual non-touch screens.

In my view, this was the main thing. I don't agree with this reason, but I am pretty sure it was it.

I think its the future, 2 touchscreens, left for acomp, right for mainsounds and 8+1 slider and 8 encoders(knobs) in the middle..

Just look at the E-A7

http://keyszone.boards.net

#408395 - 09/16/15 02:40 PM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I bought mine mainly for the great Hammond sound and the Roland name. The stereo sound through my Space Station is enough to make you wet your pants.

I must admit, however, OOTB was less than stellar at first, but with some easy tweaking, it came to life. I have taken it on many gigs, band and solo, and it gets better all the time.

If I was just a home player and looked at the two small screens without knowing the purpose, I wouldn't be impressed either. The fact is that there is a definite advantage for me as I am not a spontaneous button pusher. The two screens are interactive, and makes setting up songs much faster. The iPad apps are great for that also.

It has taken a bit of work, but I now have something to be proud of.

#408399 - 09/16/15 03:08 PM Re: BK9 on a band gig [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Bill in your new digs & gigs ... keys

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online