Topic Options
#407969 - 09/07/15 10:01 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus

Have a look at the tone generation used in these 2 links

Bill

T5

Motif

I quote from this post.. http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Keyboards/acapella-18/341405-

AWM and AWM2 are just marketing names - when Yamaha switched to 16-bit samples in 1992, they decided to increase the "version" at some point, but any other significant changes since then (such as introduction of sample compression in 1997 or 8 oscillators in 2007) went without such an increase. You can regard them as a collection of features like the number of oscillators/LFOs/EGs, the structure of the effect block etc. - I'm not even sure if these were changed in transition from AWM to AWM2.

At some point Yamaha started reffering to AWM2 as simply AWM. Therefore all today's AWM = AWM2

or in this document from Yamaha itselves it says :

AWM2: AWM is Advanced Wave Memory
and is Yamaha’s proprietary method of
storing PCM sampled data. The latest
version is AWM2 – all references to AWM
are AWM2.

And this is old information advancement of the AWM synthesis standard advanced hugely under the hood... and currently all their instruments have their 8 oscilator(elements) voices inside the big difference between Motif and Tyros is how you edit them, and offcourse the much newer Tyros 5 got a lot of the advanced features not in the Motif XF, which still has the old AWM engine of the XS, which is over 8 years old now.

I allways held your opinions in high regards, but on this topic it seems your "Anti Yamaha vision" has blinded you so much that you are proclaiming nonsense about the Tyros 5 AWM engine.

AWM is currently one of the most advanced sound engines availalbe in hardware with only Roland and Wersi OAX(which actually is VST technollogy as we both know) rivalling it. We have to see where the PA4xs EDS engine ends. it seems more advanced then the HD engine in teh Kronos. (the Kronos however has 9 engines to make up for that, which makes it still the most advanced instrument)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407970 - 09/07/15 10:13 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Nick G]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Nick G
Tyros has registration bank buttons
actual dedicated pitch and modulation wheel
dedicated style/track part mute buttons

some of these features which are non existent to an extent in the korg are very important to some.

Tyros also loads up and is playable within 5 seconds
my PA3x takes about 2 minutes (curious to know how long the PA4x will take)

I think what Korg did to STS in the PA4x can probably replace how i use the T5 registration buttons, its a quite advanced system.

i have both the wheels of T5 and the joystick and ribbon of the PA4x (on my Kronos) they just work different, but the PA4x are freely assignable, its just a matter of getting used to.. but in this case i think the PA4x has more to offer. In the end, the best combination is having both, the wheels on T5 and another board with the joystick and ribbon

And about the mute buttons, i think thats where Korgs touchscreen inteface comes in handy, the style track mute buttons are available trough the touchscreen

Personally i would love to see the ACMP button on T5 being replaced by 3 buttons.. DRUMS BASS and ACMP... allowing for real time swithcong on and off Drums bass and the rest of the ACMP channels. touching a single time toggles the swithc, touching two times in quick concession switches the others off and makes it solo.. Also the bass inversion and hold tempo buttons on Korg are very usefull

This is whay i prefer to do when playing...

Edited by Bachus (09/07/15 10:14 PM)

#407971 - 09/07/15 10:19 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Actually the row of assignable sliders on Korg is pre-set (in the second position) for individual style parts. Or as noted, you can use the touch screen.

#407974 - 09/08/15 12:55 AM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Bachus

Have a look at the tone generation used in these 2 links

Bill

T5

Motif

I quote from this post.. http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/forum/Keyboards/acapella-18/341405-

AWM and AWM2 are just marketing names - when Yamaha switched to 16-bit samples in 1992, they decided to increase the "version" at some point, but any other significant changes since then (such as introduction of sample compression in 1997 or 8 oscillators in 2007) went without such an increase. You can regard them as a collection of features like the number of oscillators/LFOs/EGs, the structure of the effect block etc. - I'm not even sure if these were changed in transition from AWM to AWM2.

At some point Yamaha started reffering to AWM2 as simply AWM. Therefore all today's AWM = AWM2

or in this document from Yamaha itselves it says :

AWM2: AWM is Advanced Wave Memory
and is Yamaha’s proprietary method of
storing PCM sampled data. The latest
version is AWM2 – all references to AWM
are AWM2.

And this is old information advancement of the AWM synthesis standard advanced hugely under the hood... and currently all their instruments have their 8 oscilator(elements) voices inside the big difference between Motif and Tyros is how you edit them, and offcourse the much newer Tyros 5 got a lot of the advanced features not in the Motif XF, which still has the old AWM engine of the XS, which is over 8 years old now.

I allways held your opinions in high regards, but on this topic it seems your "Anti Yamaha vision" has blinded you so much that you are proclaiming nonsense about the Tyros 5 AWM engine.

AWM is currently one of the most advanced sound engines availalbe in hardware with only Roland and Wersi OAX(which actually is VST technollogy as we both know) rivalling it. We have to see where the PA4xs EDS engine ends. it seems more advanced then the HD engine in teh Kronos. (the Kronos however has 9 engines to make up for that, which makes it still the most advanced instrument)

Not at all, 99% of arranger players (Including I suspect most on here) have no interest in the sound engine, they just reference to what they see in the spec sheets, which is the way I approached it. (It’s the way most people see it therefore is the most logical to use)

It has always been the case that the sound engine in a manufactures pro keyboards has been more advanced than the arranger side, which has concentrated on the easy play side of things, (Styles etc.) which most home hobby players want.

What the Yamaha arranger designers did however (This goes way back to the Tyros 2 days) was to take the (So called) inferior arranger sound engine and utilised it in a way that allowed an OOTB experience that quite literally shocked the pro side designers, (And Yamahas pro side has been playing catch up ever since) hence it became a very popular instrument.

The problem with the Yamaha approach however, is that it is very hard work to make it sound individual, (Listen to pretty much all Yamaha arranger players and they all sound the same) which is not what everybody wants as it’s the equivalent of having an elephant around your neck, (This is why I would never consider a Yamaha arranger for my own personal use) as you hear the technology not the player.

As I have always said, it is a personal experience, and only by playing the instrument yourself will you know if it is for you or not. In addition if you check my posts I have always taken my hat off to the Yamaha Arranger designers for what they have achieved with limited resources.

Since Yamaha bought Steinberg a number of years ago, I am surprised they have not incorporated a lot of Steinberg know how in their keyboard products, as when Steinberg bought out their Halion Sonic VST (Which replaced their previous Hypersonic VST (The sound engine now used for sound production in all Wersi instruments since 2005) which is an advanced sound engine in itself) most of the new sounds were programmed by the Motif designers. (Perhaps the Motif replacements will now get the Steinberg technology incorporated into them)

Hope this clarifies my position

Bill

#407985 - 09/08/15 07:43 AM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: abacus]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
H
[quote=abacus

......""The problem with the Yamaha approach however, is that it is very hard work to make it sound individual, (Listen to pretty much all Yamaha arranger players and they all sound the same) which is not what everybody wants as it’s the equivalent of having an elephant around your neck, (This is why I would never consider a Yamaha arranger for my own personal use) as you hear the technology not the player.""....,.,

What???? I guess if two Yamaha players used the same default style and voices with roughly the same EQ, someone could guess that they were playing a Yamaha arranger.

My approach was to find an arranger with the quality sounds and features to help me create my arrangements, compositions, custom styles, custom drum kits, and perform live. There is absolutely no similarities to any default material from another Tyros 5 except for the Yamaha quality, realism, and authenticity to the emulated instrument voices I am using.

So Yamaha only has this issue. Two Korg players or two Ketron arranger players are impossible to differentiate because no technology is showing through, only their playing skill and individualism making it impossible to tell what non-Yamaha brand the arranger player is using.

Wonderful. I'll keep this is mind when the Tyros 6 comes out.

Marcus

Edited by Marcus (09/08/15 07:44 AM)

#407992 - 09/08/15 09:03 AM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

I think this problem of not sounding very individual is inevitable with every arranger if you mostly play styles, even worse with preset intros and endings. It's probably not a specific Tyros problem. But as the Tyros is so widespread, it becomes especially evident with this instrument.
It certainly makes it more individual to combine the arranger sounds with a second instrument, e.g.a module from a different manufacturer (Integra, SonicCell with SRX boards, Ketron), also to play the bass on a bass pedal.
If you play on a synth workstation like MoXF, Motif or even Kronos with flash memory, program some voices of your own with you own combination of samples, and install your own choice of third-party libraries on the flash board, it also gets individual of course.

#407994 - 09/08/15 09:59 AM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: ]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
U
Originally Posted By: rosetree
I think this problem of not sounding very individual is inevitable with every arranger if you mostly play styles, even worse with preset intros and endings. It's probably not a specific Tyros problem. But as the Tyros is so widespread, it becomes especially evident with this instrument.
It certainly makes it more individual to combine the arranger sounds with a second instrument, e.g.a module from a different manufacturer (Integra, SonicCell with SRX boards, Ketron), also to play the bass on a bass pedal.
If you play on a synth workstation like MoXF, Motif or even Kronos with flash memory, program some voices of your own with you own combination of samples, and install your own choice of third-party libraries on the flash board, it also gets individual of course.

Yes, very reasonable explanation. In my case I wanted to deal with only one arranger and one of the best quality voices, and the Tyros 5 works for me, plus I know the OS and previous work would be compatible or upgradable with the next Yamaha arranger.

If Yamaha quit making arrangers, I would be quite happy with the new PA4X, but I would have a lot of work learning the Korg OS and converting my Yamaha stuff.

I love your idea of burglar proofing your musical equipment. Reminds me of a scene from the Robocop movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7U4ZYOBzEEs

Regards Marcus

#408001 - 09/08/15 11:53 AM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Marcus]
Bachus Offline

There is also one thing we seem to forget, most amateur home players just wound to sound like the orriginal....

Thats also where Yamaha T5 shines, which does not mean you cant make it sound authentic.. But i guess that can be done on the Pa4x to...

You can also create your very own sound on the T5, but the pa4x has many more edditing tools for doing so inside the machine, keep in mind however that with the Yem at the current level and 2GB of internal sample flash ram you can really build your own soundsample base for T5... And there is also many other tools you can run on pc and mac to eddit your T5.. I have rather started to like the fact of edditing things on a large pc screen instead of the small keyboard screen..

As Rosetree says, if you can combine the sound of several sources in your setup like an(y) arranger with a workstation and a few modules or VSTs, its easy to sound orriginal with preset sounds... And if you have only a single instrument you need to create your own sound on it... And thats possible with most current arrangers...

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online