SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#407946 - 09/07/15 12:20 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: abacus]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: abacus
It’s always good to keep busy.

Yamaha Arrangers still use AWM1 (Like the Electones) only the Workstations use AWM2.
The main articulations on the SA2 voices relate to the attack and decay phases (There are also other effects that are incorporated, but not directly unique to SA2) whereas SA1 concentrated on the Attack phase. (This is the reason you only have 2 Art buttons)

The Korg DNC has 3 articulation controls and is much more flexible than the T5 Art buttons. (The SA/SA2 has the advantage that everything is programmed into the voices, (Something I hate on a keyboard as it takes much longer to edit) whereas the DNC effects allow you to do more your own thing, (My preference) and it is purely personal choice as to which you prefer)

Although the Korg is a little heavier, it is more substantially built than the Yamaha which depending on its use may make a difference. (As arrangers are designed for the home hobby market super strong is of little relevance due to the fact that home players usually upgrade almost as much as they change their socks, compared to pro users who tend to keep their equipment for centuries)

The T5 ensemble section is good, however apart from the Classic and theatre organ, the rest of organ world is limited, having little in common with the instruments that they are supposed to emulate. (If you particularly want Hammond emulation then the Korg wins hands down)

In the end though, there is more to an arranger than just sounds and features, and the only way to see which suits you is to actually play them live.

Hopefully the above will give you something else to ponder over.

Bill

Bill there is no AWM1 or 2 anymore, there just is AWM, an ever growing synthesis engine, T5 is state of the art, Motifs engine is comparable to T3. Tyros has grown further..( tough Motif is much more editable)

yamaha is comtinously advancing the AWM engine, they keep adding more and more virtuall stuff to it. AEM, EAM, SCM, RDM, VAM, AFM,.. All are types of virtualisation added to the The AWM synthesis engine tahts kind of modular, so every instrument gets the things it requires, SCM and RDM for pianos, and VAM and AFM for upcomming synths.. Combining samples and virtuall synthesis engines..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407948 - 09/07/15 12:23 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Korg has way more assignable sliders and knobs.
The vocal harmonizer is miles better than Yamaha.
The drum kits, with the exception of audio ones, are much more realistic.
I find the gimmicks on many of the Yamaha guitar sounds put stuff in at the wrong times. I prefer to do it myself.
Korg has the EC5 multi foot control which is light in weight, inexpensive and totally programmable. Yamaha's only option is the very expensive, very heavy, MFC10. The Tyros does have 3 programmable foot pedals, but the PSRs only 2.
I of course have not played a PA4X, but the 3X, although similar in weight to Tyros, is a much more manageable size, and is far easier to lift off the stand, put in bag and transport.
I would not use the organ world and ensemble sections, although I can see where many might. I want to sound like a small combo, not an orchestra or movie score, or most of all a big organ.
There are positives on each side I'm sure we're overlooking, but at least for me it's an easy choice. And isn't it wonderful we have so many great choices!!

Seems there is also a new advanced drum system on pa4x called : Natural Ambience Drums Sound

And yes, for what i have heared so far, its another point for Korg, the drums sound just really good..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407949 - 09/07/15 12:23 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
124 Offline

Waiting to see how this Midi-to-Style conversion thingy works out. Hoping it's some sort of 'magic bullet'.

#407954 - 09/07/15 01:13 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I don't expect too much from that. Way too many elements involved in making good styles. I'm sure it will work fine for simpler songs though. Hope I'm wrong and they have discovered something great, but I suspect it will be similar to removing vocals from MP3s, sketchy at best.

#407955 - 09/07/15 01:14 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
So Don you like Tyros 5...lol

Sure I like it. Not enough to buy it instead of either Korg or Ketron though. I notice you don't have one either. Is it because of the size and weight by chance?

#407956 - 09/07/15 01:23 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

But Bachus, you mentioned you only used the Kronos piano programs in the end and everything else from Tyros. Did you feel other Kronos sounds were inferior to Tyros or was it just a matter of convenience? The PA-4X sounds will certainly be derived from Kronos in many cases.
Did you use expansion sounds in the Kronos? I think in case of strings for example, the expansions are much better than the standard PCM sounds.

#407958 - 09/07/15 02:54 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Remember there is a new Yamaha (Tyros?) in the works and my bet is it will be a super keyboard. I certainly will wait for Yamaha to come out with it. Lloyd

#407960 - 09/07/15 03:07 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Originally Posted By: Dnj
So Don you like Tyros 5...lol

Sure I like it. Not enough to buy it instead of either Korg or Ketron though. I notice you don't have one either. Is it because of the size and weight by chance?

I had a Tyros 2 for a while and not that it didnt sound good, its just like T3,4,5, it's more real estate then I need to gig with,.......also, I can do and sound just as good with the S-series units no doubt like the S950 in my hands.
If I was a "home player" yes I would have a T5 for sure as to me Yamaha is the one to beat cool2 .......
however the Tilt display is the only thing I'd like to see on the S-series units,...... VH I don't use anymore with style play it's just too "gimmicky" no matter Yamaha, Korg, Ketron, or what ever,.....so I dropped it from style play with the KB no need for it,.......I do use it on my custom recorded backing tracks that I play with to achieve the parts that I want in MY arrangements. My last two KB moves sadly as you know were small mistakes & I learned some pretty good lessons the hard way. But now I'm back in action with some great gear that I'm happy with and it sounds totally amazing all around.

Edited by Dnj (09/07/15 03:22 PM)

#407962 - 09/07/15 03:13 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: Bachus
Originally Posted By: abacus
It’s always good to keep busy.

Yamaha Arrangers still use AWM1 (Like the Electones) only the Workstations use AWM2.
The main articulations on the SA2 voices relate to the attack and decay phases (There are also other effects that are incorporated, but not directly unique to SA2) whereas SA1 concentrated on the Attack phase. (This is the reason you only have 2 Art buttons)

The Korg DNC has 3 articulation controls and is much more flexible than the T5 Art buttons. (The SA/SA2 has the advantage that everything is programmed into the voices, (Something I hate on a keyboard as it takes much longer to edit) whereas the DNC effects allow you to do more your own thing, (My preference) and it is purely personal choice as to which you prefer)

Although the Korg is a little heavier, it is more substantially built than the Yamaha which depending on its use may make a difference. (As arrangers are designed for the home hobby market super strong is of little relevance due to the fact that home players usually upgrade almost as much as they change their socks, compared to pro users who tend to keep their equipment for centuries)

The T5 ensemble section is good, however apart from the Classic and theatre organ, the rest of organ world is limited, having little in common with the instruments that they are supposed to emulate. (If you particularly want Hammond emulation then the Korg wins hands down)

In the end though, there is more to an arranger than just sounds and features, and the only way to see which suits you is to actually play them live.

Hopefully the above will give you something else to ponder over.

Bill

Bill there is no AWM1 or 2 anymore, there just is AWM, an ever growing synthesis engine, T5 is state of the art, Motifs engine is comparable to T3. Tyros has grown further..( tough Motif is much more editable)

yamaha is comtinously advancing the AWM engine, they keep adding more and more virtuall stuff to it. AEM, EAM, SCM, RDM, VAM, AFM,.. All are types of virtualisation added to the The AWM synthesis engine tahts kind of modular, so every instrument gets the things it requires, SCM and RDM for pianos, and VAM and AFM for upcomming synths.. Combining samples and virtuall synthesis engines..

Have a look at the tone generation used in these 2 links

Bill

T5

Motif

#407964 - 09/07/15 05:22 PM Re: PA4x vs T5 [Re: Bachus]
Nick G Offline

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Tyros has registration bank buttons
actual dedicated pitch and modulation wheel
dedicated style/track part mute buttons

some of these features which are non existent to an extent in the korg are very important to some.

Tyros also loads up and is playable within 5 seconds
my PA3x takes about 2 minutes (curious to know how long the PA4x will take)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online