SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#407993 - 09/08/15 09:11 AM Re: Devastated [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Sorry to hear of this. I know many people who have had a home invasion. Several months ago, my 12 year old Great Pyrenees was pacing around outside all night. Her bark is almost gone and she is really feeble, but poor dear was trying to do her job. In the morning, I found that someone had tried to take the latch off the gate to the back yard.

I went out an got a new Pyrenees puppy the next day. Now, she's destroying more than the thief would have!

Sad world, sometimes, isn't it?

Russ

#408025 - 09/08/15 04:53 PM Re: Devastated [Re: captain Russ]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Here's hoping you come out o.k. So sorry to hear of what happened.

When you wrote this thread, we were 800 miles away from where we live visiting kids. Immediately, I did a mental checklist of what was secure and what wasn't. Scary to say the least.

I've dealt with insurance companies before(actually was an insurance agent for a while) on claims. Not fun. They are more than happy to sell you 'just what you need' but not so happy to actually pay up when the time comes.

Best of luck. Shouldn't happen to anyone.

#408030 - 09/08/15 06:04 PM Re: Devastated [Re: Bachus]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bachus you sound like a strong individual, be ready to do battle with the insurance people, they can be ruthless. The invasion of your home is unforgivable.

Years back I was tired so I left my equipment in my. The car was on the driveway eight feet from my home. I brought my guitar into the house. The next morning the car was gone. It took me a little while to believe what had happened. I walked part of the driveway and still couldn’t believe. When I accepted what had happened I was angry. I was angry because of my wife’s safety, my home was invaded and it was going to take a while before I felt secure again.

The insurance people told me that I was not covered; they were wrong. Any personal items within ten feet of my home my equipment were covered. They took advantage of every angle including of age of the instruments. And if I didn’t have a sales slip they would not cover the item.

I say this tongue-in-cheek, I played their game and got enough money to cover the replacement of all my stuff.

John C.

#408037 - 09/08/15 10:05 PM Re: Devastated [Re: bruno123]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
Bachus you sound like a strong individual, be ready to do battle with the insurance people, they can be ruthless. The invasion of your home is unforgivable.

Years back I was tired so I left my equipment in my. The car was on the driveway eight feet from my home. I brought my guitar into the house. The next morning the car was gone. It took me a little while to believe what had happened. I walked part of the driveway and still couldn’t believe. When I accepted what had happened I was angry. I was angry because of my wife’s safety, my home was invaded and it was going to take a while before I felt secure again.

The insurance people told me that I was not covered; they were wrong. Any personal items within ten feet of my home my equipment were covered. They took advantage of every angle including of age of the instruments. And if I didn’t have a sales slip they would not cover the item.

I say this tongue-in-cheek, I played their game and got enough money to cover the replacement of all my stuff.

John C.

Reading up on insurance pollicies, and specific instrument insurances, i found out the in the Netehrlands you instruments are not insured when in a car between 22.00 and 08.0 unless the car is parked in a locked down area like a garagebox or protected parking.

Currently i think i am happy with where the insurance is going, i negotiated that i will get the vlue for the modules and components that it will cost me to replace them, same goes for the other electronics and my wifes swarovsky collection. and i will get €5000 for my 2 actuall instruments the T5 and K88 for which i payed a total of €6000

in the end i will certainly sign up for that...

But no new T5 over the weekend, my wife decided that we need a vacation and we will visit a resort in Turkey for a week.. enjoying the sun and recovering from our bad luck, its what we call last minute bookings..

So the T5 will have to wayt... Luckilly i found a nice thing to do, been creating mainstage setups yesterday evening, Mainstage 3 is really nice for playing VST instruments from a keyboard... and it has touchcontroll from the ipad..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#408059 - 09/09/15 09:30 AM Re: Devastated [Re: Bachus]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Bachus, It sounds like you and your wife are bouncing back pretty well from this ordeal, and that is the most important thing ... enjoy your vacation ...

#408072 - 09/09/15 02:06 PM Re: Devastated [Re: tony mads usa]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
The upside...sorry...if there is an upside...don't mean to be callous here....

Is that if insurance will in fact compensate you for the loss, you can rethink what you want to do equipment wise.

Hope all goes well.

#408073 - 09/09/15 02:16 PM Re: Devastated [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus
Reading up on insurance pollicies, and specific instrument insurances, i found out the in the Netehrlands you instruments are not insured when in a car between 22.00 and 08.0 unless the car is parked in a locked down area like a garagebox or protected parking.

Interesting. Here in Germany, I've always heard that NOTHING in a car is ever covered by insurance unless it is a part of the car itself and attached to the car. My car has been burgled three times already, and in 2002 my complete car was gone and was never found again (I remember staggering around the huge university parking lot for an hour in disbelief). So I NEVER leave anything valuable inside the car.

Edited by rosetree (09/09/15 02:19 PM)

#408074 - 09/09/15 02:32 PM Re: Devastated [Re: Bachus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Bachus
But no new T5 over the weekend, my wife decided that we need a vacation and we will visit a resort in Turkey for a week.. enjoying the sun and recovering from our bad luck, its what we call last minute bookings..

Good decision...: (from www.wetteronline.de)

Attachments
TempEurope20150909.jpg

#408077 - 09/09/15 04:33 PM Re: Devastated [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Interestingly, I know of very few musicians that have a separate insurance policy on their gear. Since I began playing I decided that the equipment was worth insuring and went about shopping for a great policy. My policy, which is provided by Erie Insurance Exchange, covers all of my gear against ALL HAZARDS! It's covered while transporting in my van, it's covered while I'm performing, it's covered when stored at home in my office, or even when it's in my van. It's covered against fire, theft, flood, and even negligence if some drunk happens to dump a pitcher of beer over the keyboard or amp. And, it is covered for full replacement value - no depreciation. And, I insure everything from the keyboard stand to the mic and everything in between. The cost is an outrageous $76 per year - yep, that's it.

Some folks are probably skeptical about this, however, I did have an occasion to make a claim several years ago when my van was broadsided on I-95 near the Baltimore Beltway when some idiot talking on his cell decided he was in the wrong lane to make the exit. He slammed my full-size Ford Van at 65 MPH, I spun out and went over an embankment and slammed into some rip-rap boulders 50 feet off the roadway. He hit me right behind the sliding door, right where the keyboard was sitting. My beloved PSR-5700 was toast, but I was, fortunately, not injured. My van was totaled.

My van and all the gear was towed to a repair facility close to home that was owned by a friend of mine. As we were transferring my gear into my wife's car, I got a sick feeling when I picked up the keyboard case. I called the insurance agent, they arrived 30 minutes later, took some photos, and said "Don't worry, your covered." I was on the phone an hour later and called Washington Music, they overnighted me a brand new 5700 and the insurance company picked up the entire tab.

This should be food for thought for those of you that DO NOT carry a separate policy on your gear. Make a few telephone calls - you will find good coverage at a premium you can afford. Realistically, you cannot afford to be without it.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#408085 - 09/09/15 09:57 PM Re: Devastated [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Interestingly, I know of very few musicians that have a separate insurance policy on their gear. Since I began playing I decided that the equipment was worth insuring and went about shopping for a great policy. My policy, which is provided by Erie Insurance Exchange, covers all of my gear against ALL HAZARDS! It's covered while transporting in my van, it's covered while I'm performing, it's covered when stored at home in my office, or even when it's in my van. It's covered against fire, theft, flood, and even negligence if some drunk happens to dump a pitcher of beer over the keyboard or amp. And, it is covered for full replacement value - no depreciation. And, I insure everything from the keyboard stand to the mic and everything in between. The cost is an outrageous $76 per year - yep, that's it.

Some folks are probably skeptical about this, however, I did have an occasion to make a claim several years ago when my van was broadsided on I-95 near the Baltimore Beltway when some idiot talking on his cell decided he was in the wrong lane to make the exit. He slammed my full-size Ford Van at 65 MPH, I spun out and went over an embankment and slammed into some rip-rap boulders 50 feet off the roadway. He hit me right behind the sliding door, right where the keyboard was sitting. My beloved PSR-5700 was toast, but I was, fortunately, not injured. My van was totaled.

My van and all the gear was towed to a repair facility close to home that was owned by a friend of mine. As we were transferring my gear into my wife's car, I got a sick feeling when I picked up the keyboard case. I called the insurance agent, they arrived 30 minutes later, took some photos, and said "Don't worry, your covered." I was on the phone an hour later and called Washington Music, they overnighted me a brand new 5700 and the insurance company picked up the entire tab.

This should be food for thought for those of you that DO NOT carry a separate policy on your gear. Make a few telephone calls - you will find good coverage at a premium you can afford. Realistically, you cannot afford to be without it.

All the best,

Gary cool

Since i never play out, i was under the impression that it was all covered by my home insurance.... in the end i was almost right, loosing about €1000 on the equipment but getting more on the bikes and electronics then expected, everything less then 5 years old gets newprice vallue ... giving me a total of over €29k which offcourse is a huge sum... my wifes Swarovski collection was well worth over $12k, so i am pretty much convinced the bikes and instruments where colleteral damaga, and it where her shinies that attracted the burglars.

I made some inquiries about instrument insurance and thats about 3% of the instruments new price a year... well worth it for gigging musicians, but not so much for homeplayers or studios there are cheaper ways to get everything covered, i could have expanded my home insurance with more valluables or instruments if i specify them as vauluables and thats about .75% with my current home insurance..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online