SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#407676 - 09/03/15 02:25 PM Contemplating a change.....
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
After many, many years of doing restaurant gigs, supplemented by guest shots at philharmonics and big bands, I'm thinking about leaving my house job at a country club and concentrating on studio work and freelancing.

I've been doing studio work for 4 national accounts for several years. The work starts at 2:30 on Sunday and finishes on Monday evening about 6:00 PM (with no "surprises"). The production company wants a commitment to a 2nd session a week. That means a total of 60 hours in studio on Sunday/Monday and Wednesday/Thursday.

The good news is, I LOVE to play with other players...do it as often as I can, and, if I take the "leap", looks like i could book Fridays and Saturdays for the near future with a couple of calls. More good news: I'd be playing B-3, Guitar, bass (upright and electric), piano, vibes (a personal favorite); sometimes in interesting combinations, plus more vocals than I really like to do.

For vibes, B-3 and Motown jobs I sometimes do (two bassman heads and 2 2-15 cabinets), I'd have to buy a van, so Ive got to think this one thru pretty carefully.

One problem: two small clubs have asked me to sign for multiple nights a month already on guitar and piano, making it pretty hard to keep the variety going, which is what I really enjoy.

Whatever happens, I'm approaching 71 and am still able to work the top venues in the area for top money. Best of all, I get to play with the area's finest.

And to me, that's what it's all about.

What do you think?

Russ

(Yea, I know, Chas, that's lots of hours, but that's my life, and I want to do it as long as I'm wanted).

Edited by captain Russ (09/03/15 02:29 PM)

#407688 - 09/03/15 03:39 PM Re: Contemplating a change..... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Go for it Russ ....life is TOO Short to Dilly Dally!!

Good luck! keys

Edited by Dnj (09/03/15 03:39 PM)

#407692 - 09/03/15 03:58 PM Re: Contemplating a change..... [Re: captain Russ]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
I wish I had your problem. Do what makes you happy as long as you want , for it could all change in a heart beat. It did with me. I miss it. Now go make music.

#407694 - 09/03/15 04:35 PM Re: Contemplating a change..... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Ha, you know me too well, Russ. Normally I'd be chastising you for working too hard but my own experience is that inactivity leads to more inactivity until you finally find yourself just sitting around waiting for the afternoon 'soaps'. At that point it's time to make sure that that will is up to date smile.

So go to it, just leave a little time to do 'that other stuff' that we enjoy (education, charity work, volunteerism). Good luck.

chas

#407741 - 09/04/15 03:34 PM Re: Contemplating a change..... [Re: captain Russ]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Go for it Russ. If you're doing what you love and the demand is there, well it doesn't get much better. You can sit on the porch and watch the grass grow when you are 90. All the best my friend.

Joe

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online