SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#407679 - 09/03/15 02:57 PM How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This thing has way more than my usual amount of errors but was recorded when I was being unusually lazy smile (about one hour ago). I thought I remembered this tune well enough to not have to rehearse it first - WRONG! My theory is, if you like the 'gist' of it, you'll ignore the glitches. Anyhoo, maybe I'll do it again, maybe not. It was just to try and get a lady singer to do it something like this instead of the usual tearful old ballad. Didn't work, she preferred doing it as a ballad smile. Ummm, really should have worked out the bass line before recording this. Oh well. Instrumentation is:

Organ - KeyB Duo MkIII
Drums - Bk7m
Guitar - Tyros II (Jazz Guitar)
Muted Trumpet - Triton Classic
Brass - Bk7m (Horns)

Didn't put any compression on it so you may need headphones or studio monitors to hear any detail.

https://app.box.com/s/6vmx700wvaech7josmk9v3wdmavgv0ze

chas

#407682 - 09/03/15 03:06 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
If you screwed it up I don't hear it! Nice work Chas!

#407685 - 09/03/15 03:31 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: DonM]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
This is a song I play at 905 of my gigs. NICE WORK! For some ideas about variations on the lead line, Google Kenny Rankin's live version.

Also, I do "Here's that Rainy Day" at the same tempo. Johnny Carson said this was his favorite song and Rankin's version was his all-time favorite, as did the writer of the tune.

Great, challenging music. These tunes are why I play.

Chas, I'd think about changing the guitar part. The tone is obviously a keyboard generated sound and the articulation of notes; particularly multiple note runs built from the chord are not possible on guitar. A nice Rhodes simulation or Rhodes with alternating Grand on the bridge would be great.

Russ

(PS, Chas, the Rhodes reference was not a criticism, but a preference from an old "picker").

Edited by captain Russ (09/03/15 03:37 PM)

#407689 - 09/03/15 03:41 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Chas just post the song,...no need for all the apologies your among friends & fellow musicians,....It sounds terrific. clap

Thanks for sharing your work. cool2

#407691 - 09/03/15 03:46 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Five very well spent minutes ... thanks chas ...

PS ... I agree with Russ that a Rhodes solo would have been nice ...

Edited by tony mads usa (09/03/15 03:47 PM)

#407693 - 09/03/15 04:18 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

What the heck does Russ know, he's just a lousy guitar player smile. Kidding, of course - there's no one on this board whose musical opinion I respect more - it's just that I WANT to play guitar but can't.....plus, I really like the sound of that Yamaha Jazz guitar on the Tyros II. Tone aside though, playing a convincing simulation is hard, especially if you don't play that instrument. DonM CHEATS because he also plays guitar smile - but I do feel that is part of the reason his 'guitar' licks sound so realistic. Anyhoo, I'll do more listening and more practicing. I still love the oldies, though (this one circa 1947). Thanks for the feedback.

chas

BTW, my love for the Organ keeps my gearlust in check, so no PA4x for me -----yet.

#407695 - 09/03/15 04:47 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: cgiles]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Chas, I could care less if you would play this on a comb and tissue paper. If you could do it this well. With me it's not about the sound only. Man to me it's about the rhythm, articulation, accents, grove, swing, choice of the notes in your licks, the blues modification and the jazz licks. all mixed up and rolled into one.

If you want to move out to Western Colorado find a gig, play this all night, I'll work as many nights as you'd like me to play for free. I made the same offer to my friend Sonny G out around the Pebble Beach, Pacific Grove, Carmel , Monterey Bay area.

Man two nights a week with you and two nights with him all for free! Hell, I wouldn't need to die to go to heaven, I'd already be there. Nobody, I men nobody plays this stuff anymore. It's too hard, too many chord changes, need to practice, work with melodic, harmonic, dorian minor scales, not to mention mixolydian, phrygian, pentatonic, bebop, blues scales this is just for a start. Oh and no one today can improvise. Who was the guy here 12 years ago who passed himself off as a jazzer and played 4 choruses of the melody on every tune. That use to turn my stomach. I'm not Dexter Gordon, John Coltrane, Sonny Stitt nor Sonny Rollins, but especially on the Ballads. I can make a musician jerk his head up and look at another musician ans say, "did you hear that lick?" Occasionally. Ha ha.
I can dream can't I.

#407696 - 09/03/15 05:58 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Chas,
Loved it!
Eddie

PS...For me...Here's that Rainy Day works really well as a mid-tempo Bossa....but i don't have the jazz chops you and the Captain have.

#407697 - 09/03/15 06:06 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Eddie. I only WISH I had 1/3 of Russ's jazz chops. That, combined with MY good looks; heck, I'd be a star smile.

chas

#407698 - 09/03/15 06:28 PM Re: How to screw up a nice ballad - for Boo and Tony [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
smile

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online