SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10
Topic Options
#407849 - 09/06/15 10:32 AM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: Marcus]
rosetree
Unregistered

Originally Posted By: Marcus

The dry/wet processed sound is totally adjustable for the user and towards what total "feel" you ultimately want. It is totally subjective and the preference of the listener to how they what the music to sound like ( processed verses live ). It wouldn't be fair to simply cut up an arranger because it isn't setup to their overall preferences or style of play or even a more live type sound (...)

Those comments about Yamaha's SA2 sounding unrealistic is ridiculous. The whole point to the SA2 voices is to accurately mimic the sound and behaviour of the actual instrument with full control of the player. If the processed sound is throwing someone off, then a drier ( live feel) processed sound can be adjusted.

As far as comments that the new PA4X sounding 5 to 10x better than the PA3X is absurd. Any improvements is a bonus, but 1000% better? Does this mean VTS is a thing of the past?

It was Jez' individual assessment that some sounds from the Soundcloud demos appeared 5 to 10 times better than the PA-3X. I don't think it's too helpful to classify a personal impression as absurd here.
Regarding the question 'wet' vs. 'dry', you can control the effects, reverb etc., but you cannot control what's inside the sample. John just said in the Ketron SD 7 thread that the SD 7 drums have some remaining ambient reverb in the sample he cannot get rid of. It's not only reverb, there are several characteristics of a sample you can't influence. Maybe some Korg samples are just sampled with a more direct, raw and less processed sound compared to the Tyros.

#407899 - 09/06/15 08:08 PM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: Marcus]
Jez Offline

Loc: India
Hi Marcus,

I was only trying to point that the sounds are much more improved compared to the PA3X[obvious point though]. It was mentioned that the waverom was 10 times compared to the previous model; I was only saying it never really sounded 10 times better (in proportion to the ROM increase) but certainly much better compared to the previous Pa3X. Don`t catch me or anyone for the figures quoted (5 times or 10 times) for sonic improvement smile The drastic improvement in the sound engine alone is a good enough reason to upgrade to Pa4X (IMO)

And whats more, I still think T5 is the board to beat in many of the special voices (SA2 versus DNC versus Supernatural) and have no intentions to kick sand onto any of the keyboards. I love the T5 too but will have to sell my car to buy it wink And again, all this is my opinion and there is no right or wrong... So enjoy whatever suits you smile

Cheers,
Jez

Edited by Jez (09/06/15 08:12 PM)

#407936 - 09/07/15 08:57 AM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: Jez]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Very good, thanks for the clarifications.

Most voice samples with all DSP effects removed are pretty dry and sound similar between arrangers. The only voices or in the case of the Tyros that might have some natural reverb added to samples is maybe some pipe organ samples and perhaps the real drum and real brushes drum kits.

I did notice sometimes too much reverb or natural ambiance added to the audio drum parts, where obviously you cannot remove that reverb. However, I found the Tyros 5 Real Reverb DSP to be extremely realistic reproducing ambiance situations to the dry sample voices to lessen the default overall DSP processing to replicate an nice live sounding environment.

Leaning more towards the fuller Yamaha processed sound for my needs, I do respectfully agree that Korg has that nice live feel. However, just as you can add more DSP processing to the default Korg sound, one can also remove some Yamaha processing. As real as audio samples are, matching the ambiance in all the mix sometimes needs work.

Marcus

#407966 - 09/07/15 09:00 PM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: necdetdoni]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Who makes the final decisions on the voice creation and completed mix of styles within all these arrangers? Do the style programmers do their own mixing? Would we see a better product/sound if it were put in the hands/ears of experienced studio personnel, who are professionals at mastering final audio recordings?

#407973 - 09/08/15 12:54 AM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: J. Larry]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
Originally Posted By: J. Larry
Who makes the final decisions on the voice creation and completed mix of styles within all these arrangers? Do the style programmers do their own mixing? Would we see a better product/sound if it were put in the hands/ears of experienced studio personnel, who are professionals at mastering final audio recordings?

The design of the sounds and features of Yamaha arrangers are primarily done by musicians/engineers from Yamaha UK and Yamaha Germany.

Hope this helps

Bill

#408182 - 09/12/15 01:39 AM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: abacus]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/fPJHs_aFvZA

not sure if this video was already common knowledge. It is in French and after a general and short introduction it demonstrates sounds and styles starting at 3.20
Grand Piano sounds incredibly good, at least thru my speakers here.......

regards,
John

#408183 - 09/12/15 02:23 AM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: john smies]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: john smies

not sure if this video was already common knowledge. It is in French and after a general and short introduction it demonstrates sounds and styles starting at 3.20

regards,
John

It should sound good, it comes from the Kronos, its a 2GB piano with damper and string resonance emulation.. and there is probably no other arranger that comes even close to the PA4xs whopping 5GB of PCM samples..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#408184 - 09/12/15 03:41 AM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: Jez]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Jez

And whats more, I still think T5 is the board to beat in many of the special voices (SA2 versus DNC versus Supernatural)

DNC is comparable to SA1, its nothing more then switching samples based on articulations.. Keep in mind however that also this technollogy allows for stunning sounds, there is just a little less automation compared to the SA2 sounds

Sa2 and Supernaturall are basically the same technollogy, combining samples with virtuall modeling ...

However, where Roland uses one name for all viurtuall models based on acoustic instruments (Super natural acoustic) (there is also super naturall analog for Virtuall analogue synths)

Thats where Yamaha is currently using all kinds of different names for the virtualisaton it uses..

VSR... virtuall string resonance
AEM .. advanced effects moddeling
VCM ... Virtuall component modeling
VAM... virtuall analogue modeling
AFM ... advanced frequency moddeling

Its just marketing, Roland is doing exactly the same, but keeps the naming simpler. Tough marketing or not, to me it feels like Yamaha is slightly ahead.

In the PA4x, none of these technollogies are marketed as being part of the Korg EDS sound synthesis

http://keyszone.boards.net

#408261 - 09/14/15 12:28 AM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: john smies]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.
Originally Posted By: john smies

regards,
John

Apologies for including the wrong link. The correct link is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6fadFEBe0c

regards,
John

#408275 - 09/14/15 06:47 AM Re: NEW..KORG PA 4X [Re: john smies]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
It looks like the representative from Sud-Claviers that did a few video demos of the Tyros 5 a couple of years ago. They were one of the best videos made at the time along with his partner and with some added some humour to the videos as well. Of course they are trying to sell their products or latest thing.

They made here a basic introduction video demo for the new Korg PA4X, showing the main voices and some features. It does show the great quality sound of the PA4X and they do note that it is now the number 1 arranger in the world. I would say, the number 1 new arranger in the world.

No doubt Sud-Claviers will produce more videos for the PA4X in time and they should be excellent and maybe they will continue mixing in some of their humour.

Marcus

Page 10 of 10 < 1 2 8 9 10

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online