SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#407187 - 08/21/15 12:49 PM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: Mikem]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Mikem
Originally Posted By: Bachus
The 3rd video clearly shows that both the player as well as Yamaha have no clue what modern dance music should sound... Just listen to some trance of Armin V Buren or Tiesto and then compare it to those styles...

This implementation of the feature is not what will sell these keyboards to new users..

Bachus, I've heard both DJ's you've mentioned, and I agree that the PSR-S970's Dance styles and demonstrator fall short. However, I think that if someone wants to sound like those DJ's, then they should use the same equipment, and not an arranger keyboard.

In my case, I'd love to get an arranger, probably the S970, but those Dance styles don't interest me, so it doesn't matter.

I'm just glad they finally put some good choir sounds in there, and judging by online demos, it sounds very good. Now, for those of us who want a Tyros but can't (or don't want to) afford one, the PSR-S970 comes pretty close. smile

I disagree, when for example playing weddings one moment you want to sound like a mariachi band or a bigband, while later at the evening, you want to sound like a rockband or like that trance deejay...

Our musical terrain is as broad as our publicum..

Overhere, OMBs loose a lot of jobs to deejays, well if you can mimic their music on your arranger you might get the terrain back...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#407192 - 08/21/15 01:32 PM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: Bachus]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
You're right, Bachus. However, I was referring to my own disinterest in Dance styles, for the most part.

#407198 - 08/21/15 02:17 PM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: Mikem]
Mikem Offline

Loc: Quebec, Canada
Here's another demo, featuring a Dance Style:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4VVsGX9p8s

#407202 - 08/21/15 04:35 PM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: FransN]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: FransN
I mean with styles not a sequencer. Dance styles of Yamaha sounds very weak. Your version isn't how real modern dance music sound but more how it sounded in the 90's

Yamaha dance styles are not weak. You can only put a small selection of dance styles in an arranger keyboard. The advantage of a TOTL arranger like the Tyros, you can modify or arrange your own dance styles, plus a large expansion capacity.

You can add your own expansion dance drum kits and effects sound samples to the styles or link to multipads or audio multipads. The Tyros 5 audio player/recorder also has vocal cancel, time stretch and pitch shift as well that leans well into the modern dance styles, midi, and mp3s.

With all these tools, high end voices, and DSP effects, Yamaha is no slouch for creating and performing modern dance music. The added live DJ effects from the PSR-S970 make the choices even greater.

I just recorded two example Tyros 5 modern dance styles with simple 4 chord progressions from recent songs, so hardly the 90s. The Tyros 5 gives us at least 50 dance styles plus an available 11 or so audio dance styles. I'm sure most of these T5 styles made their way into the S970, plus brand new ones.

If Yamaha modern dance styles are weak, what arranger or brand should I be looking for?

Marcus

BigRoom-T5 (MP3)
https://app.box.com/s/62eji41428z1x9mgh8zuxbaqet6r64j4

HardClub-T5 (MP3)
https://app.box.com/s/7dbxpb3mvrspkn4y9mlz2c66xpfkl25l

#407209 - 08/21/15 08:19 PM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: Mikem]
124 Offline

You know, that's a funny thing, Tony. My dad was a tenor with the London Welsh Male Voice Choir and, much as he hoped I would follow in his footsteps, he never once tried to discourage my 'different' taste in music.

I used to buy all the old Elvis, Little Richard, Fats Domino records and, he could enjoy those even though they were a universe away from the music he was brought up on.

I think that, after all these years, the main reason that I'm open to all kinds of stuff now is a direct result of his own broadness in music.

Not too many kids lucked out with a dad like mine, I guess.

#407210 - 08/21/15 08:21 PM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: tony mads usa]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Gary ... I remember when my parents couldn't listen to our music too ...
dance grin

You know, that's a funny thing, Tony. My dad was a tenor with the London Welsh Male Voice Choir and, much as he hoped I would follow in his footsteps, he never once tried to discourage my 'different' taste in music.

I used to buy all the old Elvis, Little Richard, Fats Domino records and, he could enjoy those even though they were a universe away from the music he was brought up on.

I think that, after all these years, the main reason that I'm open to all kinds of stuff now is a direct result of his own broadness in music.

Not too many kids lucked out with a dad like mine, I guess.

#407212 - 08/21/15 09:36 PM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: Mikem]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Actually, my folks really enjoyed the 50s - 60s stuff I grew up with, and joined in with us at sock hops and other sch events. I think they more fun than I did.

Gary

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#407217 - 08/21/15 11:12 PM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: Mikem]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
My parents were very supportive of my interest in music. If I listened to Elvis and Little Richard, they did too! When I was in college I had a chance to join a very successful (busy) band that needed a bass player. All I had was on old pos bass that I'd bought at a pawn shop for maybe 10 bucks. I called Mom and she went to Tulsa and bought me a Gibson bass and bass amp that same day. I realized much later that they really couldn't afford to buy it at that time, but they never let on.
They had done the same when I started playing trumpet--bought me a new Conn Constellation--top of the line at the time.
My mother was a trained classical pianist and could play any piece of music you put in front of her. Couldn't play happy birthday without the notes though. She would have traded all here training if she could have "played by ear". She played organ and piano for more than 70 years in church. Her favorite popular artist was Floyd Kramer.
She and my dad were proud of me, regardless of how often I screwed up. Can't figure why, I gave them more grief than I should have. I sure miss them.

#407218 - 08/22/15 12:06 AM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: FransN]
Eric, B Online   content

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Originally Posted By: FransN
Even a Tyros 5 doesn't sound like Avicii smile

Here is the style for Avicii:
http://www.yamahamusicsoft.com/en/product/1218068/Wake+Up+Dance/?currency=USD
I think it is pretty good for an arranger...
Eric

#407225 - 08/22/15 07:03 AM Re: More New PSR-S970 Demos! [Re: Mikem]
124 Offline

smile Hey Gary, DonM, it goes to show how a little encouragement goes a long way when you're a kid. To those of you who had no musical support as a youngster, kudos to you - you got there, anyway. Never underestimate the power of music.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online