SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#406805 - 08/11/15 08:20 AM Re: WILSON PICKETT [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: cgiles
Don (Korg80), just some (I hope) constructive criticism here. The style is well suited for this song (Mustang Sally) and your voice and vocal style also work well for this tune. HOWEVER (you knew this was coming), since this is such a well-known song, any deviation from the chord changes, actually the timing or placement of the chord changes, is going to be very noticeable (and in your version, it is). Listen to the original, DonM's version, or the video posted by DNJ (who didn't know THAT was coming smile smile ), and I'm sure you'll see what I mean. I suggest that you listen closely to WHERE the chord changes come, make the correction, and re-record it.

Just passing out unconditional kudos, in my opinion, does not help a performer. I hope you take this in the spirit in which it is offered.
chas

Well I can't believe I'm agreeing with Chas on this coffee but he is correct cool2 ......there should be a 4 bar interval between lines for the chord changes up untill the chorus....this allows the groove to sink in...

carry on

#406813 - 08/11/15 10:19 AM Re: WILSON PICKETT [Re: cgiles]
KORG80 Offline

Chas and Donny, I'm sure you guys are right. I just do these songs the way I remember them and they will often vary from the original. I'm not trying to duplicate the original and the recordings are only to bounce off you guys to get some feedback on my live performance of the tune. I'm putting together my REGISTRATIONS for my upcoming performance at my High School Reunion which celebrates the Sixties when we all went to school. I definitely welcome constructive criticism and will take note of what you have pointed out.

God Bless,
Don

#406815 - 08/11/15 10:25 AM Re: WILSON PICKETT [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: KORG80
Chas and Donny, I'm sure you guys are right. I just do these songs the way I remember them and they will often vary from the original. I'm not trying to duplicate the original and the recordings are only to bounce off you guys to get some feedback on my live performance of the tune. I'm putting together my REGISTRATIONS for my upcoming performance at my High School Reunion which celebrates the Sixties when we all went to school. I definitely welcome constructive criticism and will take note of what you have pointed out.

God Bless,
Don

Sounds like a fun gig Don ..... I always love reunions......please try to take pics & or Videos would love to see them!!!

good luck and have fun! party

#406818 - 08/11/15 12:14 PM Re: WILSON PICKETT [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

Will try to do that Donny, Thanks!

God Bless,
Don

#406819 - 08/11/15 12:18 PM Re: WILSON PICKETT [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

Will try to do that Donny, Thanks!

God Bless,
Don

#406824 - 08/11/15 01:52 PM Re: WILSON PICKETT [Re: KORG80]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
God Bless,
Don

Don ... Just got to listen and I was going to make pretty much the same comments as chas and Donny ... I think some songs we can 'make our own' but others pretty much have to be like the original, at least in chord structure...

The guitar player from our NY band and I played a high school reunion in NJ a couple of months ago - 4 hours of late 50's and early 60's ... it actually was quite a blast ...
I am sure you will have a great time ...

#406832 - 08/11/15 08:29 PM Re: WILSON PICKETT [Re: tony mads usa]
KORG80 Offline

Thanks, Tony

Like Donny said. It needs to stay on the root chord a little longer to build the groove. Wilson Pickett fills this space with expletives like "huh", "O, Lord", "What'd I say?" This does add to the "groove" of the song.

God Bless,
Don

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online