SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#406679 - 08/09/15 04:39 PM Re: Pocket recorders Olympus LS 12 / 14 / 11 etc. [Re: ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Yes you can, and that may be good in some cases. I prefer the little 1/8 stereo cable though. I just plug one from my mixer to the DR-05. There are cables that go from any format to the 1/8 plug. It's the same size that is used by phones, headphones (not 1/4 inch), computers and other devices.
I record myself on the job. I can critique it on the way home by plugging into my car's system (aux in). I can listen on headphones, or plug it into the PC via USB.
Sometimes it sounds bad everywhere. Then it's time to make some adjustments. Or get better. smile

#406680 - 08/09/15 04:39 PM Re: Pocket recorders Olympus LS 12 / 14 / 11 etc. [Re: ]
Dnj Offline

Yes Eric and overdubs also. Kool features!

#406685 - 08/09/15 06:19 PM Re: Pocket recorders Olympus LS 12 / 14 / 11 etc. [Re: ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Having used several recorders in the past, when the S-950 came along with the onboard USB recorder, to me, it's the best thing since sliced bread. It really works well, very easy to access on the fly, and everything is saved on the USB drive. Great tool.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#406686 - 08/09/15 08:17 PM Re: Pocket recorders Olympus LS 12 / 14 / 11 etc. [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Yes you can, and that may be good in some cases. I prefer the little 1/8 stereo cable though. I just plug one from my mixer to the DR-05. There are cables that go from any format to the 1/8 plug. It's the same size that is used by phones, headphones (not 1/4 inch), computers and other devices.
I record myself on the job. I can critique it on the way home by plugging into my car's system (aux in). I can listen on headphones, or plug it into the PC via USB.
Sometimes it sounds bad everywhere. Then it's time to make some adjustments. Or get better. smile

This is why I bought a Tascam DR40..like Don I would start to record my gigs and listen on the way home etc, in the car. The onboard mp3 is fine in a pinch on the S950 But it is very limited and versatility, overdubbing tracks, taking it anywhere and the recording options far surpass the Kb's in so many ways. Plus I needed a new toy this week! wink

#406707 - 08/10/15 09:16 AM Re: Pocket recorders Olympus LS 12 / 14 / 11 etc. [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Plus I needed a new toy this week! wink

Of course, considering that your latest 'new toy' was actually an 'old toy' revisited ... grin keys

On board recorders are great and I love mine on the Pa900 - I can record a midi file using an on board style, edit it, overdub, replace tracks, etc. and then use it to add a vocal while recording an mp3 file ... OR, I can just record an mp3 direct using an on board style, BUT there is no comparing them to today's free standing digital recorders for the reasons Donny cited above ...

#406709 - 08/10/15 09:22 AM Re: Pocket recorders Olympus LS 12 / 14 / 11 etc. [Re: ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
The way I look at it, if I have to edit my songs, then I did something very, very wrong during my performance. Therefore, that one shot deal with Yamaha's USB audio recorder is exactly what I want to hear. If I blew it - I want to know I blew it! The last 10 songs I've posted here and on other forums have been one shot deals from the recorder. I think they sounded pretty damned good.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#406712 - 08/10/15 09:39 AM Re: Pocket recorders Olympus LS 12 / 14 / 11 etc. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The way I look at it, if I have to edit my songs, then I did something very, very wrong during my performance. Therefore, that one shot deal with Yamaha's USB audio recorder is exactly what I want to hear. If I blew it - I want to know I blew it! The last 10 songs I've posted here and on other forums have been one shot deals from the recorder. I think they sounded pretty damned good.

Gary cool

Gary I cant agree on the one shot record...yea great for a scratch sheet demo but refining a recording is essential to bring it to the next level if you know how to do that not everyone does. We are all human and make mistakes. But on the other hand if your happy with your recordings that's all that matters. I hope to do some interesting things with my DR40 when it arrives.

Carry On

#406719 - 08/10/15 10:05 AM Re: Pocket recorders Olympus LS 12 / 14 / 11 etc. [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
Gary cool

Gary ... there is a big difference between recording a performance 'one shot' on a KB and recording for posterity such as on a CD ... and if I 'blew it' OF COURSE I want to hear it - (although I USUALLY know it the second it happens) - but do I want to put it on a CD which I am going to save for my family or friends ??? NO !!! ... and NO ONE is going to be perfect ALL the time ...
Plus, after hearing the recording I may want to add some efx, harmony whatever ...
As I said, on board recorders are great, but they are not the answer for all recording ...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online