SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#406770 - 08/10/15 09:34 PM Re: Why it’s been difficult for me to resume gigging [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Thanks to the respondees and your sympathy and your empathy. This is the only room where you can get your frustrations out and be understood.

But......it's caused me to think about moving to SC now and giving up music. There would be no outlets there. Still....maybe it's time to see what leading a normal life would be like after years of doing nothing but music!

Entertaining, playing music anywhere used to be a delight that you would almost do for nothing. Now there's obstacles in the way. Those obstacles are called people.

But I have to remember what Bacchus said: "focus on the good people....there's still plenty of them."

ME: just not around here.

I did a German house party last year in Long Island and he asked the agent to bring me back again this year. I remember that job well. Everyone was polite, good-natured, genuine, and just plain a lot of fun. THOSE are the kind of people I need to focus on!

MARK

#406789 - 08/11/15 04:28 AM Re: Why it’s been difficult for me to resume gigging [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Mark

I would like to share an experience I had. I am as much a dedicated musician as anyone, and have been for over fifty years. Although, because of financial commitments, I had to be content with part time gigs for part of that time.

In 1996 my wife and I grew tired of the crime and craziness of the city and decided to move to a home on a rural lake in God's country. For a while, I was busy with my new property and adjusting to the local gentry(or not). I now had some time to get back to my music, but guess what ? I realized that I was never going to be contented with mundane activities that most people consider normal everyday life. To make matters worse, I no longer had the opportunities to play.

We sold out and moved to a nice medium sized area where I got back into playing 12 years ago. Happy again.

I guess the old adage of not missing something until it is gone might be appropriate.

Good luck in whatever you decide.

Bernie

#406790 - 08/11/15 04:52 AM Re: Why it’s been difficult for me to resume gigging [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Mark79100
Originally Posted By: Dnj
As a Pro musician and dealing with all kinds of people and scenarios in your audiences is part of the business.. personally reading your post instead of getting annoyed I would of turned it into a "positive moment" especially when Kids are involved. I would of probably said "hey let's do something for the kids!!!...It's Hokey Pokey Time" common Mommy you can do it too!!! or maybe "Hey I see some Chickens out there let's do the Chicken Dance"...
or maybe play "HANDS UP" for them whatever it takes to calm the situation. This way everyone is happy. It's an audiences prerogative to listen attentively to you or not after all it's not a Carnegie Hall Concert. I have adapted to the weirdest scenarios in my 50 yrs on stage from streakers, naked women jumping on stage, bridal party people hanging from the chandeliers, bride & groom jump into the pool on a Conga Line, fights, Chinese acrobats on trampolines, whatever happens I don't care I'm there to ENTERTAIN and have fun and will continue to do so till I drop. Not performing will never even come into my mind music is a gift that my parents gave me and I am proud to be able to do it for a living and share my gift with everyone in my audiences.....

Cheer up !

Play music!!

Donny………you have to remember you're a musical icon in a world of ordinary mortals. When they made you they broke the mold. I mean……let’s face it……you were destined to be a huge musical star. If not that, surely a Greek God!

I can see now that you’re a battle-hardened veteran in the entertainment field. Probably seasoned by years of working the vaudeville circuit. 50 years of playing! My, my. I’ll bet you performed for the troops in WWII, Korea and Pork Chop Hill.

You know, the world was only given so much music ability and it looks like you took up most of it leaving us ordinary people with nothing but the scraps.

It’s sad for someone like me. I'm suddenly realizing I could only ever be a follower of "The Great One" with no hope ever of being the musician you are. But I could still dream. Maybe just by brushing shoulders here in the SynthZone I could absorb some of your vast talent through osmosis, though I know I'll never be the heavy hitter you are. Still, if I could take on just a fraction of your talent it might help see me through an otherwise dismal career.

I think Nigel should commission you to write a theme song for the SynthZone, before you move on to immortality. What do YOU think?

MARK

mark I dont know about that but,......

a fan once told me after a show.. ...
"Donny God gave you special gift,....do you know why he gave it to you?".... when I said No, he replied, ...
"So you can share it with the world"....to this day I always remember what he told me when I see the smiles on my audiences faces listening or dancing.
At 63 Performing Music is still MY Passion & MY Love, I will stop when I drop!!

Take care

Edited by Dnj (08/11/15 04:54 AM)

#406791 - 08/11/15 04:59 AM Re: Why it’s been difficult for me to resume gigging [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Bernie
I'm thinking that after our phone conversation I was the one putting SC in Mark's head. the area I'm moving to is Bluffton SC which is the immediate inland section of Hilton Head Island. It's an extremely fast growing and somewhat affluent area. Hilton Head is defiantly up there . I didn't choose it for music gigs but at this point quality of life. Yet there are opportunities to play and as I said in another post I've been contacted by two bands needing keyboard players in addition to my old sax player being there. what happens happens and is it worth living in a more Urban area to get the meger $ the music business pays.? I think this is Mark's thinking too. I worked a lot in North Jersey but did it offset the high taxes , crime, rude people ? Look up Bluffton and Hilton Head and don't forget Savannah and Bueafort are close by. It ain't " the sticks" .

Edited by Bill Lewis (08/11/15 05:00 AM)

#406807 - 08/11/15 08:30 AM Re: Why it’s been difficult for me to resume gigging [Re: Mark79100]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I believe that entertaining is a PRIVILEGE, and not a right. We are blessed to be able to bring joy into the rooms we play, and while some may not appreciate what we do, others embrace it. Do it for those who embrace the joy, and ignore the rest.

#406811 - 08/11/15 09:14 AM Re: Why it’s been difficult for me to resume gigging [Re: Mark79100]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Mark,
I couldn't agree with you more. We are hired to entertain the residents and a lot of them go to a lot of trouble to be present. I lost two gigs this year over some of the same issues - visitors or even staff making so much noise the audience can't hear the music. Seems the people in charge don't have the nerve to step up and inform the offenders they should cool it. I have also dropped several places this year because of the same issues and not one person steps up and takes control. I go to these gigs to play for the residents and have a deep respect for those who show up in wheel chairs, with walkers, or with the help of someone. They deserve better.

Deane

#406814 - 08/11/15 10:19 AM Re: Why it’s been difficult for me to resume gigging [Re: Mark79100]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
As long as I'm not in the middle of a song, I usually just stop and look in the direction of the noise. Usually, the person making the noise realizes what they are doing and quietens down, otherwise the residents or an aide will step in. This way I never have to.

#406816 - 08/11/15 11:02 AM Re: Why it’s been difficult for me to resume gigging [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Bill

That is certainly far different as far as opportunities is concerned. My main point was in regard to Mark possibly giving up playing entirely. I feel the same as you in that a change of venue would be a far better solution, just not the sticks lol.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online