SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#406265 - 08/03/15 05:10 PM Re: Big Move Soon NJ to SC ! [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
ain't far enough south for me - gets cold down there in the winter. I was in Myrtle Beach one January and it was only 17 degrees. Anything temperature lower than my age is the dead of winter as far as I'm concerned. wink That reminds me, I have to tune up the snow blower so the kids can clear the driveway while I'm in the Florida Keys. OH YEAH!

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#406288 - 08/04/15 06:57 AM Re: Big Move Soon NJ to SC ! [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
Well Bluffton is near the Georgia State line so its pretty far South. I don't think I'm old enough (65) for God's Waiting Room AKA Florida and I don't drive a Lincoln Town Car with the left blinker permanently on so I don't think I could get in to Fla.

Really though even in the worst of last winter when Myrtle Beach was getting an ice storm Bluffton was in the 40's. Its just 1.5 hr difference away but it seems to have better weather. We wanted a change of seasons place, Fall is my favorite, and milder Winters. Fall and Spring are the big Golf and Tennis seasons there on Hilton Head. We're not in an age restricted community either as we like having all ages around. Keeps you young.

We'll see about the music scene. Probably a lot like you described it.

#406307 - 08/04/15 08:11 AM Re: Big Move Soon NJ to SC ! [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This is for HHI only, which we visit about 4x/yr. I would describe the live music scene there as 'bleak'...but why not try to get in touch with Jim Eshellman (sp); I think he used to live there full time.

chas

#406313 - 08/04/15 08:51 AM Re: Big Move Soon NJ to SC ! [Re: Bill Lewis]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim had lots of jobs there, Chas. I think he moved to the Atlanta region, but cannot recall exactly where. There are scores of neat marinas, restaurants, etc, all that have music on a nightly basis. The very first night I was there I could have picked up a job at an Italian restaurant in a shopping center (the guy they booked didn't show up).

Just a couple doors down from the Italian restaurant was a very popular seafood restaurant that had a combo playing that night - they were OK at best, and I'm confident I could have easily booked that place as well. However, I was on my way to the sunshine state and didn't have time to explore the opportunities more. My friend that lives there aboard his houseboat with his wife told me that there's lots of nite clubs, bars and restaurants in the area that would love to have someone that does the type of performances I provide.

Chas, there were even a couple jazz places there that advertised in the motel flyers. I'd bet even money that you and Captain Russ could both find work at HHI without trying very hard.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#406324 - 08/04/15 10:09 AM Re: Big Move Soon NJ to SC ! [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gary, Jim lives in the next town over from me. I had the impression that he moved from HHI because of the paucity of musical opportunities. But I could be wrong. Maybe Jim will read this and pipe in.

chas

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online