SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#405922 - 07/30/15 09:03 AM Anyone using this amp for small gigs?..
Dnj Offline

http://www.roland.com/products/cube_street_ex/

lightweight, 50 watts, Battery or AC

keys

Edited by Dnj (07/30/15 09:11 AM)

#405923 - 07/30/15 09:22 AM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
KORG80 Offline

Donny,
http://www.roland.com/products/ac-60/

I use this when I'm supply teaching in music. Don't need it for my keyboard as onboard speakers work well in a classroom. I do, however mostly use my Digitech and my acoustic electric Taylor and this little amp is really great!

God Bless,
Don

#405926 - 07/30/15 09:29 AM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: KORG80
Donny,
http://www.roland.com/products/ac-60/

I use this when I'm supply teaching in music. Don't need it for my keyboard as onboard speakers work well in a classroom. I do, however mostly use my Digitech and my acoustic electric Taylor and this little amp is really great!

God Bless,
Don

uncle dave had one of those if I remember correctly.....
it's almost 2x as heavy though. Great little amp for acoustic work mostly.

#405946 - 07/30/15 01:10 PM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Guys - I have a Crate TX50DB which has a single woofer and a 7 amp hour lead acid battery. This one appears to be about the same size/shape as my Crate. The Crate is a great amp but is heavy at 32 pounds...looks like the weight on this one is only 16 lbs. But the lead acid battery adds about 5 pounds to the mix which is not a factor here...this one is a bit more expensive than my Crate too...looks like it is getting some good reviews.

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#405947 - 07/30/15 01:32 PM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: saxxman]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: saxxman
Guys - I have a Crate TX50DB which has a single woofer and a 7 amp hour lead acid battery. This one appears to be about the same size/shape as my Crate. The Crate is a great amp but is heavy at 32 pounds...looks like the weight on this one is only 16 lbs. But the lead acid battery adds about 5 pounds to the mix which is not a factor here...this one is a bit more expensive than my Crate too...looks like it is getting some good reviews.

Yes Randy good reviews....kool amp to just keep in the car for small NH's, or cocktail hr gigs etc,...

#405987 - 07/31/15 05:23 AM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: KORG80]
Dnj Offline

or use the AC adapter also.... cool2

Edited by Dnj (07/31/15 05:47 AM)

#406002 - 07/31/15 08:27 AM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Probably the worst sounding keyboard amp I ever tried. I plugged the PSR-3000 into one at the local music store, and it was just awful. The owner of the store, who recently passed away, said "What did you expect? It's just a practice amp for guitar players. I sell them mainly to music students who use them in their bedrooms and garages to practice. They're fine for that, but that's what they were intended for."

If you're looking for a high-quality, lightweight amp, you should seriously consider the Bose L1 Compact - or better yet, a pair of them. Bose, IMO, has always been the standard bearer in the sound industry, and very, very few exceptions, the L1 and L1 Compact have been the mainstay for nearly every arranger keyboard player I know in my part of the world.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#406004 - 07/31/15 08:34 AM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Why not just use a portable AC pack and run your regular powered speakers or arranger keyboard if no AC is available. Remember your audio source would need to be battery powered as well.

Not sure if the following product is compatible, but does say it works with musical amplifiers.

Marcus

http://www.bixpower.com/XP300-p/xp270ac-2493.htm

#406005 - 07/31/15 08:39 AM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I have a 1,500-watt inverter on my boat that can run my entire rig. It's a modified sine wave, though, not pure, which I found makes no difference with anything other than some electric motors such as fans. Everything else, including my microwave oven works on that inverter just fine.

All the best,

Gary cool

#406006 - 07/31/15 08:39 AM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I'll stick with my 2 HK Nano 600's best sounding PA I ever used.
Its like a Swiss Army knife on stage for any scenario.

Edited by Dnj (07/31/15 08:42 AM)

#406007 - 07/31/15 08:40 AM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
I'll stick with my 2 HK Nano 600's best sounding PA I ever used.

There ya go - smart move.

Gary cool

#406049 - 07/31/15 03:20 PM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Gary R U sure you tried the NEW 50 watt Cube Street EX?....not the older Cube street version? just checking.

#406050 - 07/31/15 03:27 PM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

The older one was a 30-watter, Donny, which was the one I tried. I saw the new 50-watt model last week in the store, asked the owner's son about it, and he said, pretty much the same thing his father did - it's a practice amp for guitar students - nothing more - nothing less. He said he didn't think it sounded any better than the 30-watt amp when it came to sound quality, and only slightly louder, but not much. As for vocals through it - he said fugettaboutit!

Almost forgot, Donny, the amp is advertised as a 50-watt amp, but that's 50-watts peak power - not RMS. The amp is only 8.76-watts RMS power, which is not nearly as much as the onboard sound system in your PSR-S950, and the sound system in the S-950 is matched and balanced to the keyboard. Additionally, this tiny, practice amp for guitar players sells for $500 plus tax, which is a big chunk of money to lay down for a tiny amp that doesn't handle vocals very well at all. Yeah, I know, there will be someone that will claim that it's a 50-watt amp, but that same person doesn't know beans about Ohm's law. It's very easy: 12-volts DC X .730 amps = 8.75-watts. Those are the specs from the manufacturer's spec sheet - not something I made up.

Also, keep in mind that if the amp were capable of punching out a true 50-watt RMS output, those 4 D-cells wouldn't last 20 minutes, but instead, the manufacturer rates them at 4 hours. The current drain for a 50-watt RMS amp is 4.1 amps, which means those D-cells would be dead in 20 minutes, and that's flat dead. However, the amp would cut off when the voltage dropped below 10-volts DC, so it might last 10 minutes at best if it were truly a 50-watt RMS amp.

Most of the outdoor performers here connect an inexpensive inverter to their car or truck battery, then just fire up their normal gear. That car battery will provide 3 to 5 hours of solid power for the gear, and when it gets low, you just start the car and let the battery charge for about a half hour. A car's alternator can punch out 50 amps at engine speeds just above idle.

Over the years, Roland and others, have been notorious for make ridiculous wattage claims about these tiny amps. Every time I check them out, their own specifications provided the real truth about what you can expect from them when it comes to power. Peavey and Yamaha used to do the same, but over the years, they included the RMS power in their specs as well as peak power. When it comes to amps, especially PA systems, peak power is almost meaningless. Logitech has always provided RMS and peak power in their specs. You could purchase 3 LOgitech Z-5500 5.1 systems for the price of that Roland Cube. And, I can assure you that the sound quality and coverage coming from that Logitech would easily blow away the Cube.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (07/31/15 04:00 PM)

#406053 - 07/31/15 03:55 PM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The older one was a 30-watter, Donny, which was the one I tried. I saw the new 50-watt model last week in the store, asked the owner's son about it, and he said, pretty much the same thing his father did - it's a practice amp for guitar students - nothing more - nothing less. He said he didn't think it sounded any better than the 30-watt amp when it came to sound quality, and only slightly louder, but not much. As for vocals through it - he said fugettaboutit!

Gary cool

Hmmmmmmmm?......I don't know about that Gary?......
seems to be the BUSKER Amp of choice, cant see it sounding that bad for $500.00..although I would have to try one myself just for the hell of it. I cant see Roland improving the previous model and it not being alot better especially judging by the GREAT reviews all over the web, I really don't need one but,...we'll see.

Edited by Dnj (07/31/15 04:01 PM)

#406057 - 07/31/15 04:04 PM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, read what I added to the above post.

Gary cool

#406061 - 07/31/15 04:25 PM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Donny are you going to start Busking !!!!!!!http://www.synthzone.com/forum/images/icons/default_dark/exclamation.gif dance

#406062 - 07/31/15 04:30 PM Re: Anyone using this amp for small gigs?.. [Re: musicforyourday]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: musicforyourday
Donny are you going to start Busking !!!!!!!http://www.synthzone.com/forum/images/icons/default_dark/exclamation.gif dance

I'll have to admit...many moons ago I was known to play keys in a few train stations myself in NYC,.....I think every musician should get the experience Busking gives you in so many ways!!.....still to today if I pass a Busker performing I always stop and listen for a few minutes drop a $5, or $10, bucks in their kitty they deserve it.
There is amazing talent out there performing!

Edited by Dnj (07/31/15 04:31 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online