SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#405823 - 07/29/15 08:34 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Marcus . I would like to say just s few things about your demo . There was beauty and pathos in the way you delivered and arranged the song . It was powerful simple and effective all by itself .

You have a clear voice and for this kind of song which is quite solemn and spacious , there really was no need for the harmoniser although it was better than most I have heard .

However I could hear very minor harmonic glitches as the harmony caught the chords you were using and corrected itself or as your voice trailed off and the harmony followed the fall off . It's was milliseconds but I found myself unfortunately listening for them and where they would occur next instead of listening to your song and that detracted from the song . The same thing happens when some arranger players change chords just ever so slightly too late .

Now that's not to say the delivery wasn't good . It was very good . But those glitches are the reason why I don't like harmonisers because as you slur up or down to a note as all singers do , the harmoniser follows . You used it sparingly which is exactly how in my opinion if it must be used at al , it should be used .

However If your voice is poor the harmoniser covers up major deficiencies but if your voice is good as clearly yours is ,it highlights any minor quirks just because of the way it responds just behind you .

I hope I have been constructive in my feedback .
By the way please post more of you work . It really did set a standard that I would encourage .

#405840 - 07/29/15 11:06 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: spalding1968]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By: spalding1968
Hi Marcus . I would like to say just s few things about your demo .
..........However I could hear very minor harmonic glitches as the harmony caught the chords you were using and corrected itself or as your voice trailed off and the harmony followed the fall off . It's was milliseconds but I found myself unfortunately listening for them and where they would occur next instead of listening to your song and that detracted from the song . The same thing happens when some arranger players change chords just ever so slightly too late .

Now that's not to say the delivery wasn't good . It was very good . But those glitches are the reason why I don't like harmonisers because as you slur up or down to a note as all singers do , the harmoniser follows . You used it sparingly which is exactly how in my opinion if it must be used at al , it should be used .

I hope I have been constructive in my feedback . ...... .

By all means, awesome feedback. Harmony notes trailing off were mostly playing errors in my part. The harmonizer unit was not tracking chords trying to adjust. It was in Variation mode, where the harmonies are produced following the exact notes across the keyboard I was holding down. You would need to time your playing with your singing or my chording notes distracted from the chorus parts I was trying to convey through the harmonizer.
Instead of using a guitar voice in a couple of the verses, I perhaps could of used a string voice or an instrument that would play more legato rather than releasing notes too soon. Better voice selection and timing in my part with the notes and my singing would minimize this issue.
If I was in chordal mode, where chords are tracked and interpreted , I would set the recognized midi channel for only my left hand playing where I would be playing the chords to trigger the auto style.
Actually the Variation mode leans more towards sustained or accapella type music playing, like perhaps a hymn or SATB four part pieces using an organ or string voice over the produced voice harmonies.
Great observations, as that is exactly what I like do and how I make up my own mind. Lots of people nowadays use no critical thinking at all, and just follow the crowd or fad of the week.
Thanks and appreciated,
Marcus

#405959 - 07/30/15 04:55 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: Marcus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Marcus
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Who wants to carry around another kb in a OMB act just for VH? might be ok for studio work playing in Vocoder mode..

That Lewis video is few years old. There has since been the VP-770 keyboard and lastly the VP-7 module with improvements to the VH engine. I believe Roland developed the original variphrase technology, and their expertise transferred over nicely to their VP products. Far ahead of Yamaha, Korg (T C Helicon), Digitech in regards to the gender and pitch stretching technologies. Virtually no warble or digital artifacts in the processing on the latest VP -7 unit. The VP-7 choir and Jazz Scat voices are not that shabby either, and can play over, layered on top of any of the Tyros 5 sounds.

The point is, you can get even better results with the little 2 lb VP-7 unit in variation mode, that was carried over from the previous VP-keyboards.

Setting the Tyros 5 to AI Full Keyboard fingering for your chords, you can still run full (vocoder) variation mode and still control your style play, multipads, ensemble, plus switch on-the-fly during a song to Human Voice/Vocal designer mode on the VP-7 or that robotic vocoder mode.

Not only for studio, but for live performances. I have a little aluminum bracket that fits into the Tyros 5 speaker mounting holes that screws onto the mounting holes on the less than 1 KG VP-7 unit. What is more portable than that, plus in direct visual range from your playing position and easy to manage the controls.

For a gig, one Tyros 5, one VP-7, good mic and stand, and proper powered speaker configuration for the venue size. No second keyboard or laptops.

Marcus

Marcus, I (and one other Synthzoner) have th VP770 which I have been raving about for years. It sits atop my organ (KeyB Duo Mark II) and used for extra voices, a harmonizer, and a controller for my BK7m which I use for drums (studio and rehearsal). Alhough it CAN sound great, one must be very meticulous in setting it up and use all the vocal techniques mentioned above by some of our residet pro's or it can sound just as 'fake' (metallic, to me) as all the rest. Personally, I only like it when it's triggered by the chords played.

chas

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online