SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#405726 - 07/28/15 12:52 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: Dnj]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I can see the usefulness of the effects on the voice like the reverb and delay. however the auto harmony sounds sterile and false to my ears . But I don't need to be persuaded on this. If This is what you enjoy and it sounds good to you, then it sounds good to you and that's all that really matters. &#128512;

#405729 - 07/28/15 05:07 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: Dnj]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
For solo gigs, I rely on the Tyros harmonizer quite a bit. It does take practice and I've modified four harmonies that I keep in user files, that I use.

The harmonizer doesn't take the place of real harmonies, that's why when my wife and I sing together, we don't use it.

But for my solo gigs, the harmonizer adds a bit and makes the song more interesting for the audience. At least that's the feedback I get.

My wife can't use the harmonizer as she belts out songs and over drives the harmonizer. But we don't like to use the harmonizer anyway when we do our duet.

#405745 - 07/28/15 08:54 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Regardless of what unit I use, onboard or not, I have one setting that I try to optimize, a third above. I sometimes change genre to female. I try to use it sparingly.
I also sometimes use a setting that makes me sound like a girl. I use it for gag stuff and when I do Bread and Butter with my friend Dean Mathis of The Newbeats.

#405763 - 07/28/15 12:20 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
DonM ... is that a real song he is singing at the end of the video?

#405765 - 07/28/15 12:57 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: tony mads usa]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
DonM ... is that a real song he is singing at the end of the video?

Well if it is I've never heard it and can't find it via google. Maybe it's an original of his? I like it.

#405787 - 07/28/15 02:56 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: DonM]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Yeah ... I searched for it also, then figured if anyone would know it YOU DA MAN !!! ... but, alas ... frown
rocker

#405791 - 07/28/15 07:25 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: tony mads usa]
Marcus Offline

Loc: Canada
Yes, the T C Helicon demo from the Korg has that typical sterile digital processing characteristics. Tom, from T C Helicon isn't doing the product any favors by by running a 50%-50% balance between his original voice and the VH voices. The processed voice is never going to sound as good or natural as the original. I agree, use VH sparingly with good vocal mic technique, and keep the processed sound a percentage lower than your voice. The idea is to give the illusion of multiple singers, chorus or choirs, not have virtual voices overwhelm your own.

T. C. Helicon has probably the best processors and DPS effects. Really good for solo guitarists and keyboard players looking for that certain effect, however from a keyboard player and vocalist perspective I find the characteristics of the Roland VP-7 to have a less digitized processed sound and a more organic feel to the sound.(see my description earlier in this thread)

I decided to try an updated recording with my Tyros 5 and the Roland VP-7 of an earlier recording version demonstrating the VP-7 Variation Mode presets. I got a few favorable responses back then, but I think the overall vocal sound improved a little bit using the warmth of a tube mic. I'm using a modded Apex 460 tube mic from my home studio setup. Recorded a one-off live recording with no mic processing except for the VP-7 output. A noise-gate and some compression could have helped with some background noises, but I am used to performing live and go directly into the song. You can hear me pressing the Tyros 5 buttons in certain times, but just a quick demo recording using the T5 hard disk recorder with the VP-7 input into the AUX-IN.

I don't record anything anymore, just perform. As a past tenor, I don't bother warming-up my voice anymore and it probably shows. Perhaps good to have an imperfect voice for this, to demonstrate how the VP-7 harmony voices track your exact notes played on the keyboard and keeps the notes in tune.

I forgot what style I used last time for this song (By Name), but one of Henni's modified styles ( EternityMega 2) is used. Close enough for a demo song. Please see my MP3 demo, and if any Tyros 5 owner want the style (ByNameEterM2.S712), download that as well. Optimized for the Tyros 5, with the same OTS voices I used.

Regards, Marcus

By Name-T5-VP7 MP3 (Christian Contemporary)
1st Refrain - Male & Female (Female Choir button) - A mixed choir with independent male and female parts. Sparse harmony will produce a three- dimensional sound that is thicker than "Classic". Female voices sing the high range, and the male voices sing the low range. Female voices at the right on the stereo field, and the male voices are heard on the left.
2nd Refrain - Background (Duet button) - This is the sound of a simple backing chorus. It produces a clear-sounding chorus of a small number of people, maintaining a sense of presence even in the background.
Last Refrain - Gospel (Trio 2 button) - This is a chorus with the distinctive performances techniques and irregularities that are characteristic of gospel music. It is suitable for jazz or gospel.(Similar to the Don Lewis VP-550 demo video settings)

https://app.box.com/s/13tmxs7je2npku5wu83kfa3maehm84a5

ByNameEterM2.S712 (Tyros 5 style) not from a Tyros 5 preset style

https://app.box.com/s/lsv85txk6tnz45phhm32vhvqv4xy280k

#405792 - 07/28/15 07:49 PM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Great job, Marcus - sounds very natural to me, very warm harmony. What's not to like? I love it!

Thanks for sharing this,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#405804 - 07/29/15 06:23 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: travlin'easy]
KORG80 Offline

Marcus,

I agree with everything Gary said. It's a shame that Roland discontinued that harmonizer. It sounds very good.

God Bless,
Don

Edited by KORG80 (07/29/15 06:23 AM)

#405809 - 07/29/15 07:21 AM Re: Yamaha Tyros 5 Vocal Harmony Example Demo [Re: Dnj]
Henni Offline

Loc: South Africa
Wow Marcus,

I have only one word: Precise!!! Perfect!!!

You are a true & a gifted musician my friend. Thank you for sharing.

Henni

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online