SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#405493 - 07/25/15 06:40 AM Yamaha S950 ReStyle...
Dnj Offline

keys

#405552 - 07/25/15 10:34 PM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I listened to half of it and haven't heard anything I'd ever use.

#405559 - 07/26/15 05:17 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Same here, which is my problem with expensive VST packages. They always seem to be overloaded with synth (electronic) voices that I'll never use in a lifetime. Unless you're playing a specific type of dance music, I feel like you're just wasting money. Just speaking for myself (old and set in his ways) but I really don't like the typical synth textures. I find them harsh and insulting to the ear. JMO though.

chas

#405574 - 07/26/15 08:21 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Great minds think alike Chas!

#405576 - 07/26/15 08:33 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Great minds think alike Chas!

So do feeble minds smile smile.

chas

#405579 - 07/26/15 08:58 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I agree with my learned colleagues above! Nothing there I would find of use.

Gary (the enfeebled one.) wink

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#405582 - 07/26/15 09:30 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

just because us OLD guys wouldn't use for our needs etc,.. it doesn't mean it's not popular amongst the
younger set.

#405585 - 07/26/15 09:38 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
just because us OLD guys wouldn't use for our needs etc,.. it doesn't mean it's not popular amongst the
younger set.

Is it? Yamaha, and others, seem to be trying to MAKE it popular. They have to try to find a new market when all us old guys die away.

#405588 - 07/26/15 09:43 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
younger set.

Is it? Yamaha, and others, seem to be trying to MAKE it popular. They have to try to find a new market when all us old guys die away.

the "RESTYLE REMIX" genre is super popular its the arranger KB scenario that the younger set isn't thrilled with vs using all the new fangled ways to make their music. lets face it there is a BIG split in generations and the music shows that between us. Thank goodness we have the ability to change the channels on a radio..so many choices and genres just listen or play to what YOU like, there are NO Rules. headphone

Edited by Dnj (07/26/15 09:44 AM)

#405590 - 07/26/15 09:44 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
younger set.

I agree with Dnj. It is something that I would not do but there must be something to this genre of music, there are a lot of successful ( read wealthy ) techno artists out there.

Ron

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#405592 - 07/26/15 09:51 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

I'm just waiting for those photos and vids of Donny playing to the younger crowds. In my part of the world, young people don't dance at all - I don't think they know how to dance. Every time I see them at a concert, they're just standing there waving their arms in the air, some of the gals are shaking body parts, and everyone is blasted out of their minds. About half of them are texting with their I-phones and have no idea what's going on around them. That kind of stuff sure makes me glad I'm retiring.

All the best,

Gary cool

#405594 - 07/26/15 10:00 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Kind of like Woodstock, but they have their clothes on now! smile

#405603 - 07/26/15 10:50 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
I'm just waiting for those photos and vids of Donny playing to the younger crowds. In my part of the world, young people don't dance at all - I don't think they know how to dance. Every time I see them at a concert, they're just standing there waving their arms in the air, some of the gals are shaking body parts, and everyone is blasted out of their minds. About half of them are texting with their I-phones and have no idea what's going on around them. That kind of stuff sure makes me glad I'm retiring.

All the best,

Gary cool

Gary you know you want see those pics as I don't perform for the younger set I let the Dj's fill that genre...
my choice......that doesn't mean its not very popular. And who are we to judge we had our fun now let them do their thing. As far as retiring from playing music that doesn't even exist in my vocabulary,....for me there is NOTHING Better then performing on stage I'll do it till I drop!

#405606 - 07/26/15 11:38 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, I said the same thing five years ago, and figured I would drop dead on the job. However, I also sincerely hoped that when I departed this world it would be by being shot in the back of the head by a jealous husband at age 108 while leaping from a second story window with my trousers around my ankles and a 19-year-old girl screaming "Don't leave me, Gary, don't leave me!" That ain't workin out real well either.

So, I'll just keep on enjoying the musical performances till October 1st, then try to fulfill another fantasy by loading my music gear aboard the sailboat, hoisting the sails, and pointing the bow of the boat south and staying on course until I reach someplace where the temperature and my age are equal - the south Florida Keys, Dry Tortugas, Bahamas, then head home when conditions are the same back here in Maryland.

Yesterday, I hosted and performed at the Annual Sailnet Rendezvous, which took place in Cambridge, Maryland's Municipal Marina, a beautiful facility located on the shores of the Choptank River on Maryland's Eastern Shore. The only problem was getting there. It's a 131 mile drive, and you have to cross the infamous Chesapeake Bay Bridge, which had a 10 mile backup from the toll booths to Annapolis. We sat in traffic, moving an average of 3 miles per hour, for 3-hours, 45-minutes trying to reach the opposite side of the bridge. Once across the bridge, it was smooth sailing to the marina, though I thought my bladder would explode before I reached the place. (Shouldn't have drank that coffee - you only rent coffee!)

The festivities got underway at 5 p.m., just 20 minutes after I hit the marina parking lot. I set up in a gazebo, fired up, kicked off the night with Toes In The Water (Zack Brown), finished with Willie's Always On My Mind, got home just after midnight. That's a long day, considering I left home at 11 a.m. and drove more than 250 miles round trip. Next time, the gear will be on the boat, I'll be spending the night sleeping in air conditioned comfort in the cabin and spend a couple days sailing back up the bay to home and enjoying the scenery. Now, that's what I consider a great form of retirement.

As for you, you will eventually have to get around to retirement, though you currently don't believe it's in the cards. It happens my friend, and if you don't die first, you, inevitably, will be taking the same road, at least I sincerely hope so. As I've said so many, many times in the past to others, you must take some time to smell the roses, and do so before someone places them on your casket.

As for the youngsters, there were some there, and for the most part, they knew every song I performed, even Polk Salad Annie, which surprised the living Hell out of me.

All the best,

Gary cool

Edited by travlin'easy (07/26/15 11:38 AM)

#405607 - 07/26/15 11:45 AM Re: Yamaha S950 ReStyle... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Gary good luck to you, .......I hope missing it doesn't drive you nuts,...as for me I thank the lord I have good long life genes in my family & so I will be on that stage for many more gigs in the years to come, after 50+ yrs aside from being with my family & grand kids there's nothing else I'd rather do..

Carry On

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online