SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#405376 - 07/23/15 01:07 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Jim, one of the benefits of booking the way I do is that there is never a question about anything if a current activity director leaves. In all the years I've been in the NH circuit, I have only had a problem with one AD and she was just fired this past week.

In all cases, I book all of next year's jobs during the months of September and October of the current year. All bookings go on both my calendar and one that I provide to the AD at the time of booking, which is ALWAYS done in person.

Additionally, I snail mail two copies confirmation of booking and appearance contract to each and every one of them, along with a self-addressed, stamped, return envelope for them to mail me a copy back after signing. I've never had an occasion where the contract didn't come back within two weeks.

For all NEW accounts, I provide them with a full promo package, one that costs me about $4 to put together, which includes a cover letter containing statements from other accounts and private party folks that sent me thank you cards (with their permission, of course), photo of myself at the keyboard, short (600 song) song list, business card, CD, and it's all in a presentation folder that I purchased from Office Depot. Everything about it is very professional looking.

Now, for the wacko that claimed took over at the one location where I had a problem, I explained to her that I had a signed contract and that her predecessor singed the contract in behalf of the facility, therefore, they were liable for those dates under the terms of the contract.

She wanted to argue the point claiming that she was not the AD and SHE didn't sign the contract - I told her it made no difference. From that point, I went to the facilities administrator, and finally the corporate office. Two weeks later I received a very apologetic telephone office from the corporate vice president, who said there will be a check cut for me that day and they deeply regretted any inconvenience they may have caused me. I told them that I had performed their every month for 15 years and every NYE for a decade, and that I sincerely believed the residents would be upset - THEY WERE! And, that's why that lady was fired - The residents council dumped her. The new AD called me a couple days ago and asked if I was willing to come back, but I explained that I was retiring in October and would try to find someone else that would do a good job for them.

Jim, in this business, you must always treat every job as if you were Donald Trump, get those signed contracts up front and well in advance, and those problems quickly go away. If you would like a copy of my contract, I will be glad to email it to you, or even post it here, which I did several years ago.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#405377 - 07/23/15 01:15 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Jim,
I actually have walked into a place, setup and was ready to play when someone walked in and asked what I was doing and who I was. The Corp. had cleaned house and there were no records of bookings nor people left who knew me. I am constantly sending out cards to over 150 places to keep my name in front of the ADs, whoever they are, and that has worked somewhat. I keep booked as much as I want to play these days - but it takes and effort. Then there are the places I played weekly for over a year and suddenly nothing! Find out later the residency count dropped and the Corp. took the AD's budget away. Go figure. Then there are the places that I have played that got sold and the accounts payable did not go with the sale and I am still bugging them about being paid. No- only about 2% of them pay on the spot - submit an invoice and wait 2-4 weeks. And no, in Texas they don't do contracts.

I could go on.

Deane

#405378 - 07/23/15 01:18 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
Dnj Offline

Its happened to me many times also .....but where ever the AD goes usually to a new facility somewhere I'm teh first one she calls to book the NEW facility......it all goes around in a circle,......one goes down so what?
one comes up!!...... NEXT!!

#405414 - 07/23/15 09:15 PM Re: Senior / Retirement places and turnover of ADs [Re: jimlaing]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I think Don and Donny (aren't they the ones who sang "Over the Mountain, Across the Sea".......no that was Johnny & Joe) made very helpful remarks.....

Don (a solution):

"When I was doing more of this, I made it a point to also meet the Administrator, invite him/her to the show, etc.
This way when the new AD arrives, and it WILL happen, you still have a friend in the building!
I also made photos and recordings of at least one show in every facility. Then you can use these to show the new AD what's up."

Donny (a mindset):

"It's part of the business.....residents, patients are always leaving after rehab, or sadly pass away also...nothing lasts forever in this game.
So you have to CONSTANTLY recruit NEW Work year round. !!....there so many NH places to play,...just move on to the next NH.

Mark adds: When I was a teenager, a friend said something to me I never forgot to this day.......

He said: "I figured something out......all things, good or bad, come to an end!"

MARK

Edited by Mark79100 (07/23/15 09:58 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online