SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#404782 - 07/11/15 06:55 PM It's over...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
After much soul searching and debating with myself, and my loving wife, I have decided to retire. Yep, after working for 65 years without a break, it's time.

There were lots of things that went into this very difficult decision, mainly my overall health. My back is shot to Hell, my lungs are shot to Hell, and I've grown tied of working 5 to 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

A couple days ago I had a lengthy visit with a surgeon. After undergoing a multitude of tests, MRI, Serial X-rays, EMG study, bloodwork, etc..., he determined that there was nothing surgically he could do to alleviate the horrendous spinal pain I have been encountering since this past February. His preliminary diagnosis is peripheral neuropathy, which is itself a nasty, very painful disease that is incurable. I hate taking narcotics, but at this stage of the game, I really don't have much of a choice.

There is some treatment that can slow the progression, but in the past six months I've lost a lot of my needed motor skills, especially in my hands and feet, which is where the disease primarily strikes early on.

As of October 1st, my play for pay days will essentially come to an end. I think I have salted enough money away to retire, and if not, well, that's how it goes. I will be selling off a fair amount of my equipment, probably on this site, PSR-Tutorial and Ebay. I intend to keep the PSR-S900 and one Bose L1. The duplicate gear will be sold to the highest bidders.

I intend to spend most of my time fixing things around the house, and every day when the weather cooperates I'll be out sailing, drinking ice cold Margarettas, fishing, and pretty much just watching the world go by. With luck, I'll be able to piss away every dime before I take the dirt nap.

If my health allows, I intend to make one more voyage to the sunny islands of the south Florida Keys, my favorite place to visit in the entire United States. I sincerely hope the spend the winter there, mostly sailing, but I may play a nite club job one or two nights a week for added income, and to keep my hand in the business while I still have the manual dexterity to play and the voice quality to sing to the ladies. (I NEVER sing to the guys - they don't give a $hit!)

Now, I intend to stick around the forums, if for nothing else, to piss Fran off. (Just kiddin, Fran.) This forum and the PSR Tutorial forum have been a nice place to spend some of my leisure time for more than a decade, and I've met several forum members in person, all of which have turned out to be very nice people.

So, after October 1st, you may not hear from me as much, especially if out at sea and sailing down the eastern seaboard well out of range of any internet connections, but I will be thinking of everyone. And yes, Donny, I'll post videos and photos.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#404785 - 07/11/15 07:22 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... it is too bad that you are being forced to retire because of health issues, but retirement from the daily grind is pretty good ...
Hopefully, you will be able to enjoy a long happy, pain free retirement ...
God Bless you and Carol and the family ...

#404787 - 07/11/15 07:39 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Gary, that's a really tough way to have to close the curtain - at some point we're all going to have to do the same and, hopefully, not under the same circumstances that you are facing.

Along the way, I think everyone without exception has enjoyed, benefitted, railed at, and even disagreed with your input from time to time, but you're words have generally been valued in this corner, at least. And this from a Korgie, too! smile

Enjoy whatever you get up to in your retirement, even if you're 'all at sea' sometimes. And I'll be glad to read when you do pop in here occasionally.

All the best,

#404788 - 07/11/15 07:40 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Gary...

This has been a long time coming and I know how hard you have tried to put it off. Since I have known you Carol and I have enjoyed spending time with you & Carol, having you sit in on some of my gigs, hearing of your exploits on jobs, sailing, photography, writing and participating here and other forums. The good news is most of that is still possible in your retirement. I know you enjoy playing and singing at home, learning new material....and the fact is, sometimes that can be more fun than some of the jobs you've labor through.

My wish for you is a pain-free retirement.

See ya in the Sunny South come October.

Eddie

#404792 - 07/11/15 08:39 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Damn it Gary, I don't have a clue of what to say my dear friend. I hope I'll hear from you from time to time. I consider you a very kind and helpful friend. You won't have time for a dog or I'd recommend a couple. Drew's Miss Piggy and her Puppy Gemma keep me wanting to keep on keeping on. I know your clients are really going to miss you. The best to you and Carol in your retirement. Try the Coffee Shops in the mornings when there's nothing on the agenda. There's very nice people there too friend.

Edited by brickboo (07/11/15 08:39 PM)

#404799 - 07/11/15 09:09 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary.......
We have talked about this,...your happiness and health comes before anything.
Like I said just because you retire from gigging you will always have music in your heart and can play at home at your leisure in between sailing and enjoying life.
Good luck to you dear friend....stay in touch alot!!

Edited by Dnj (07/11/15 09:10 PM)

#404801 - 07/11/15 09:55 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Best wishes Gary, I hope your health will stay as good as possible, particularly. Take care!

#404802 - 07/11/15 09:59 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Sorry to read this, Gary, I hope you can manage pain and enjoy yourself. I know you will try! Kickapoo Joy Juice might help from time to time.

#404804 - 07/11/15 10:37 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm glad you are making this decision, but wish it were under different circumstances.
It's time to enjoy some other things for a change. I know you'll stay busy and make the best of it.
Hope the Drs. are wrong about the diagnosis too.

#404810 - 07/12/15 05:27 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Makes me think of that line in the Clint Eastwood movie, Magnum Force..."A man's gotta know his limitations."

In your case, "acceptance" is the operative word...go with the flow.

You'll be okay, Gary. I retired nearly two years ago, and it's the best decision I ever made...I often wonder where I found the time to work. wink

I still play several hours a day, mainly for my own enjoyment, and I'm glad I bought the Tyros4 as a "retirement gift" as it is an awesome musical companion.

Good luck,

Ian

#404812 - 07/12/15 06:34 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
I made the same decision 9 years ago. Make your last gig a celebration of your musical life and the beginning of the wonderful adventure of real retirement. My last gig over 600 people showed up to see me off as I was also moving back to Ohio for medical treatment. It was a great send off .I got a standing ovation when I first walked on stage. I 'll never forget that. Even though you can't play as you use to , now is the time to pass your experience on to others . You have been so helpful over the years and have my respect of you. I wish you all the best and have a wonderful rest of your life with calm seas and smooth sailing.
Dave

#404813 - 07/12/15 06:36 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
wrinkles303 Offline

Loc: worthington ,ohio
Ps. You might want to make a video of your last gig. I did, it was great!

#404814 - 07/12/15 07:32 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Gary,

Sorry to hear the news, but in talking to you in the past I understand you're making the right choice. Like the song lyrics are sung "you got to know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away". Wishing you and Carol the best in the coming months and your retirement. Many thanks too for all the helpful tips and tricks you've given in the past.

#404815 - 07/12/15 08:14 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Gary
Happy Day ( its my BD ) and Sad day, I read your post with my morning coffee. Sorry to hear your leaving due to medical issues. Just the other day I was looking at the info you were generous enough to share with me on promoting your business. We're moving to Bluffton SC and I plan on using some of your ideas when I get there. I'm even going to try some Green Margaritas, I think they're the real secret !

Manage the discomfort as best you can and enjoy all you can, you've earned it.

#404816 - 07/12/15 08:28 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
saxxman Offline

Loc: Niceville, FL USA
Gary - I have heard over and over again how nice it is to be officially retired! I am sure you will love the freedom of having no contractual commitments to deal with and you will still enjoy the fun of playing music! I salute you for your decision to do what is best for Gary and Carol. Enjoy the relief of all the time being "yours" and also take the time to take it easy on your back and enjoy lifting a few glasses of Kickapoo Joy Juice! Please plan to continue sharing all the experience and advice you have offered to all of us!

PA4X, SX900 (Baby Genos), Roland U-20, L1 Compact, Way 2 Many Saxes

"My computer beats me routinely at chess - but it's NO MATCH for me at kick boxing!"

#404817 - 07/12/15 08:49 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Hi Gary. Sorry to hear the news but we've talked about this many times. You are a man of many talents so I know you'll have no problem filling the time. I'll call you later.

All the best my friend,

Joe

#404818 - 07/12/15 09:23 AM Re: It's over... [Re: Songman55]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Hi Gary,
Everyone has said just what I would have said. I know you will enjoy your retirement even though it is not the way you wanted it to end. When I got my first keyboard, about 10 years ago, you were one of the main reasons I was able to make progress and really learn how to use it. I wonder if you really understand the impact you have had on Yamaha players on both this forum and the PSRTUTORIAL site? A big thank you for that and I hope you are able to continue what you have done.

Deane

#404819 - 07/12/15 09:50 AM Re: It's over... [Re: hammer]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Gary,

Like Deane says, not much to say what has not been said. I sincerely hope you will be able to make the most of your retired days in any possible way and that the music may/will keep you alive , notwithstanding your physical burdens.

warmest regards,
John Smies
Holland

#404829 - 07/12/15 12:30 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
cassp Offline

Loc: Motown
Gary - we'll all have to make that difficult decision sooner or later. I'm sure you're gonna enjoy retirement to the hilt and that you'll still be playing out for a good while yet. Keep singing, it's important to keep that golden voice well oiled.

I thank you for all the great advice you have given me and all the members of SZ. You have been a good friend and supporter. I foresee an SZ Key West Jam in a couple years, by then I'll be looking forward to it. I'll see you here on SZ And on PSR Tutorial. Peace be with you, my friend. clap keys

#404830 - 07/12/15 02:24 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Gary,
Never met you but have enjoyed your posts here on PSR Tutorial.
With your back problems (I have had them for over 60 yrs. I am
86), You are doing yourself a great favor and hopefully you will benefit from rest and relaxation.

I do wish you the best and hope you sell all your unwanted equipment so you can put the loot in beverages (you know the kind i'm talking about). Best to you, Lloyd

#404832 - 07/12/15 03:45 PM Re: It's over... [Re: ]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Gary, you have posted on this forum with wisdom. I feel your post about you leaving the music business is again showing your class and your wisdom. Wisdom -- I have been told leave the music before it leaves you; again, great wisdom.

My close friend has all his instruments set up in his home; he sets up like he is prepared for his next job. His body has little left in it, but he continues to fight to perform. If that’s all he has, there that’s all there is who is to say.
For me, I’m almost there –there are times when I question myself. (grin) My body is still in good shape, no, in fair shape, so I still keep dreaming of what could be.

Gary, from age 30 till now my dream is to own a good size and have and do what you are about to do. You have the freedom to do just about whatever your heart (and wife) desires to do. Had to put your wife in there. I have read many of your posts with envy thinking this guy has pretty well together, and he has a boat. A good mind, a great home, good experiences, people who are reaching out for his music – and wanting to pay the price for it.

You’re leaving music playing with class, don’t look back, there’s so much ahead for you.(and you got a boat grrr) how good can it get. I know that pains and aches that come with age tend to want to kill all happiness but please get past that if you can.

A prayer for good acceptable health, John C.

PS, Anyone can have a boat, but few have the courage and ability to sale to the many places you have sale to.

#404836 - 07/12/15 04:28 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I hope to meet with some more synthzoners during my next sailing excursion to the sunny Florida Keys. Over these many years that I have been a member of this wonderful forum, I have really learned a lot from the members, and I have been extremely fortunate in meeting many of you during my many excursions to the sunny south and west.

tomorrow, if the weather cooperates, my wife and I and one of her friends, will be sailing the Chesapeake Bay's upper reaches. Just a short, day trip to make sure everything on the boat is in good working order. Kinda like a shakedown cruise before heading south in October.

Yes, the water is really that color, the beer is cold, the weather is always warm, but usually not hot and that's what a retired guy should look like - HAPPY!

Thanks again, everyone, and I hope to see many of you soon,

Gary cool

#404842 - 07/12/15 07:10 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I too have peripheral neuropathy and after spinal fusion stabilized my spine the damage had already been done to the nerves. So if you ever want to swap stories let me know. I wish you the best...

#404854 - 07/13/15 01:45 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I wish you the very best Gary, please make your retired years count for you and enjoy not having to work. We all have to make that decision at some time. I wish I could but I don't ever see that being possible. I am glad you can.

#404887 - 07/13/15 08:21 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Tom Cavanaugh Offline

Loc: Muskegon, MI
Gary, I keep waiting for you to say April Fools! Sadly I know it's not coming. You have been a great friend, mentor, and inspiration to all of us. The music performance world will greatly miss you. On the plus side, you can now make that Michigan visit.

Tom

Tom

#404888 - 07/14/15 12:14 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Gary. It's worth here. I am sorry to hear the sad news but it was expected. You have been cheating Father Time for a long time now ! You have been a great source of encouragement , and debate and influence on the forum . And I know that the many folks you have entertained over the years have had their hearts gladdened that much more by your music . We are here to be a blessing to others and in doing so we too are blessed you have held your part of the deal very well .

I hope your retirement is just the next phase in your splendid life . Clearly there are real challenges ahead for you but when has that never been the case ? God bless you and your wife and try to stay involved in whatever way you are able both musically and with this forum . Respect . Worth

#404894 - 07/14/15 05:13 AM Re: It's over... [Re: spalding1968]
Graham UK Offline

Loc: Lincolnshire UK
Gary. Best wishes from your friend in the UK.
I look at it...If we wake up in each morning then we have another days bonus. Keep well my friend.

#404898 - 07/14/15 07:36 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks again for the Kudos guys. Yesterday, with a weather prediction of a 50 percent chance of rain, I took Carol and a friend of hers sailing. We had a great day, the winds and temperatures were excellent, not a drop of rain until about midnight last night. I thought to myself, yep, this is what retirement is all about. We sailed 43 miles, then motored the last few miles back to the marina. The main reason I came back to the marina is today is another day of work, singing to the ladies. Had it not been, I would have sailed a lot farther south, spent the night anchored out, watched the sunset in a quiet cove and had been rocked to sleep in my bed by the gentle wave action lapping against the side of the boat. smile

All the best,

Gary cool

#404900 - 07/14/15 08:28 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Gary, I think, for you and I both, a redefinition or refocus is a better way of putting what's ahead. I am getting off motorcycles, have quit playing upright and didn't renew a contract to write for a foreign manufacturer.

But there's lots left to do. There are still plenty of opportunities as a free lancer.

I've found working with charities a really fulfilling way to make a difference.

I, too have medical issues, but I'm not giving up. I'm sure you won't either. Your life up to this point has been one of substance. I'm sure it will stay that way; just in a different, less taxing direction.

I haven't had a drink since 1988. All this makes me want to take a break and join you for a long cold one.

Just the help you give people with keyboards (they're those damn Yamaha's, but, whatever) is worthwhile and appreciated.

You are appreciated and will continue to be admired by all of us even after this "transition".

Best personal thoughts and wishes for the future,

Russ

#404905 - 07/14/15 08:43 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Russ, I really appreciate your friendship and kindness over these many, many years.

Gary cool

#404915 - 07/14/15 09:56 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

Dear Gary,

I'm so sad to hear that you're having health problems, but you're a strong critter, so I bet you have a lot of fun still in you.

It's a bittersweet relief that you'll still be posting on this forum. I'm glad you got enough saved. I'm substituting guitar strings for dental floss so I can save enough for the PSR-S970.

Yoga helped me. I used to be so nervous that I would bite my fingernails. Yoga has changed everything. I'm still nervous, but now I bite my toenails.

#404919 - 07/14/15 01:47 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Larry. Today was very difficult, and for the first time in three decades of playing, I had to get some help to pack up my gear (never thought it would happen.) The pain was so intense that I could barely get off the stool at the end of the job.

Fortunately, a very young, attractive lady that works at the facility saw that I was struggling to put the gear on the Rock And Roller cart, and offered to help. Normally, I would not allow anyone to touch my equipment, let alone load it on the cart. She is a sweet lady and I felt fortunate to have her assistance. Now, I'm home, just took some pain pills and mixed a tall Margaretta and I'm headed for the heating pad.

Thanks again, Larry,

Gary cool

#404951 - 07/15/15 06:47 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I am Happy for you , I am sure it will be a hard adjustment at first but after a while it will be good for you to enjoy life for a while I am sure you will take the a few gigs from now and then but the day to day grind let you body get a little rest and enjoy life and if you ever come to So Cal you can sit in with me anytime .

and I will even take you fishing as well I sure I could learn a few things from you it would be a honor to be your host .

Ron

#404961 - 07/15/15 11:22 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary will this mean since your having difficulty even loading the cart at gigs as you said have to give up sailing also due to your illness since it's a big job in itself working a big sail boat like that alone?

#404968 - 07/15/15 02:21 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Donny, once the sails are up, it's not as difficult as driving a car. Now, the mainsail, which weighs about 85-pounds, is pulled up, which takes the strain off my back, and when it's lowered, it's dropped into a series of ropes called a lazy jack, then just tied to the boom, so again, no strain on the back. The jib sail is on a roller furling system, which allows the wind to deploy the sail and a line wraps around a retrieving drum, which again, is no strain on the back.

Now, if my health allows, I will sail the old tub to the Florida Keys this October, a trip that will take about a month to cover the 1,500 nautical miles. Once there, I was hoping to play one or two nights a week in the restaurants, but this may not happen - I'll just have to wait and see. Just a few more months till October, though, and at that point, I will definitely retire from my hectic schedule of 5 to 9 jobs a week.

I fully realize that there will come a day when I can no longer handle the boat alone. When that day comes, I will put her up for sale. Hopefully, I'll get at least another 5 years of sailing in before that happens.

All the best,

Gary cool

#404970 - 07/15/15 02:56 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary that's good to hear.....good sailing my friend!!

#404974 - 07/15/15 04:07 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Gary, can't you get one of those ol' farts (I can call them that because I'm one myself:),down south - the ones with good backs, that is - to 'roadie' for you now and again? smile

#404978 - 07/15/15 05:15 PM Re: It's over... [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: 124
Gary, can't you get one of those ol' farts (I can call them that because I'm one myself:),down south - the ones with good backs, that is - to 'roadie' for you now and again? smile

Gary always gets good lookin' young ladies to help him ... right Gar? ...

Edited by tony mads usa (07/15/15 05:16 PM)

#404979 - 07/15/15 06:03 PM Re: It's over... [Re: tony mads usa]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Gary

I guess something within ourselves tell us when and what is the best.
A few months ago, I had those pesky heart attacks, and for that experience, I knew that I had to make some adjustments for work and life style, slowing down a little, unfortunately, I can not retire yet, I am 59, and what I would try to do, is take the early retirement at 62 if the Lord allows me to do so.

But, now, make the best of it, like that awesome trip sailing, and those Maragaritas....and like you, I am taking the whole month of August to visit my relatives in Mexico, also other thing of the bucket list...and enjoy all you can.

I will be looking forward to your posting on this forum, like Donny said, post a lot, you are always very articulate and a gentleman.

Take care and keep in touch !!.

#404981 - 07/15/15 06:21 PM Re: It's over... [Re: mdorantes]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Gary, best wishes for the future. Thanks for all the help you have given me directly and indirectly. God has blessed you with much. I know He has a special place in His heart for you. Prayerfully, Graham

#404983 - 07/15/15 06:59 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Ironically, my wife and sister have been trying to talk me out of sailing south for the winter, while all of the guys I know say "WOW - wish I could do that!" My sister said "What would happen if you had a fatal heart attack while out on that boat, in the ocean, all alone?" I replied "I would be dead! Just as dead as I would be if I had a fatal heart attack anywhere else." She said "Damned, you're exasperating." My wife said the same thing.

I figure that I've worked very hard and saved all my life to do what I'm hoping to do in the next few months, and by golly, I'm gonna do it if my health allows.

Thanks again guys,

Gary cool

#405004 - 07/16/15 11:05 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
GO FOR IT, Gary. All my life I've wanted to ride a motorcycle from Kentucky to Fairbanks and back. I lived there as a kid when my dad was stationed at Ladd AFB.

I even know the motorcycle; a 2016 CB 500X. I'd take a month to go up and back. We drove the Alcan highway up and back years ago.

Sadly, at 70 year old, I have overseas playing commitments and just took on an Italian line of coating products that will take about 5 years to fully develop for the US market.

I'll never go on the ride I've wanted to do for 50 years.

Have a long cool one for me on your boat.

Wish I could tag along. I LOVE sailing.

Russ

#405036 - 07/17/15 05:25 AM Re: It's over... [Re: captain Russ]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Best of luck Gary.

Hope you are still on tap for a little advice to those of us still totin the gear to the gigs.

smile

#405093 - 07/17/15 08:40 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

This afternoon, I announced that I would retire on October 1st to an audience of about 80 at an upscale retirement community where I have been performing monthly since it opened 6 years ago. Several people came up to me and asked why, and when I explained my health issues, they fully understood. A significant number of them are cancer survivors, and have a host of nasty health problems themselves. A couple ladies offered to crew my sailboat down to the Florida Keys and said the read that Viagra was on sale at Rite Aid and they would purchase a case of it if necessary, and they would be packed and ready to go in the morning. These are wonderful individuals that I have grown to love and admire over the years and I really hate to leave them. Just no way around it, though.

Gary cool

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online