SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#404915 - 07/14/15 09:56 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Beakybird Offline

Dear Gary,

I'm so sad to hear that you're having health problems, but you're a strong critter, so I bet you have a lot of fun still in you.

It's a bittersweet relief that you'll still be posting on this forum. I'm glad you got enough saved. I'm substituting guitar strings for dental floss so I can save enough for the PSR-S970.

Yoga helped me. I used to be so nervous that I would bite my fingernails. Yoga has changed everything. I'm still nervous, but now I bite my toenails.

#404919 - 07/14/15 01:47 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Thanks Larry. Today was very difficult, and for the first time in three decades of playing, I had to get some help to pack up my gear (never thought it would happen.) The pain was so intense that I could barely get off the stool at the end of the job.

Fortunately, a very young, attractive lady that works at the facility saw that I was struggling to put the gear on the Rock And Roller cart, and offered to help. Normally, I would not allow anyone to touch my equipment, let alone load it on the cart. She is a sweet lady and I felt fortunate to have her assistance. Now, I'm home, just took some pain pills and mixed a tall Margaretta and I'm headed for the heating pad.

Thanks again, Larry,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#404951 - 07/15/15 06:47 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I am Happy for you , I am sure it will be a hard adjustment at first but after a while it will be good for you to enjoy life for a while I am sure you will take the a few gigs from now and then but the day to day grind let you body get a little rest and enjoy life and if you ever come to So Cal you can sit in with me anytime .

and I will even take you fishing as well I sure I could learn a few things from you it would be a honor to be your host .

Ron

#404961 - 07/15/15 11:22 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary will this mean since your having difficulty even loading the cart at gigs as you said have to give up sailing also due to your illness since it's a big job in itself working a big sail boat like that alone?

#404968 - 07/15/15 02:21 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Online   happy

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, once the sails are up, it's not as difficult as driving a car. Now, the mainsail, which weighs about 85-pounds, is pulled up, which takes the strain off my back, and when it's lowered, it's dropped into a series of ropes called a lazy jack, then just tied to the boom, so again, no strain on the back. The jib sail is on a roller furling system, which allows the wind to deploy the sail and a line wraps around a retrieving drum, which again, is no strain on the back.

Now, if my health allows, I will sail the old tub to the Florida Keys this October, a trip that will take about a month to cover the 1,500 nautical miles. Once there, I was hoping to play one or two nights a week in the restaurants, but this may not happen - I'll just have to wait and see. Just a few more months till October, though, and at that point, I will definitely retire from my hectic schedule of 5 to 9 jobs a week.

I fully realize that there will come a day when I can no longer handle the boat alone. When that day comes, I will put her up for sale. Hopefully, I'll get at least another 5 years of sailing in before that happens.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#404970 - 07/15/15 02:56 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary that's good to hear.....good sailing my friend!!

#404974 - 07/15/15 04:07 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Gary, can't you get one of those ol' farts (I can call them that because I'm one myself:),down south - the ones with good backs, that is - to 'roadie' for you now and again? smile

#404978 - 07/15/15 05:15 PM Re: It's over... [Re: 124]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: 124
Gary, can't you get one of those ol' farts (I can call them that because I'm one myself:),down south - the ones with good backs, that is - to 'roadie' for you now and again? smile

Gary always gets good lookin' young ladies to help him ... right Gar? ...

Edited by tony mads usa (07/15/15 05:16 PM)

#404979 - 07/15/15 06:03 PM Re: It's over... [Re: tony mads usa]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
Gary

I guess something within ourselves tell us when and what is the best.
A few months ago, I had those pesky heart attacks, and for that experience, I knew that I had to make some adjustments for work and life style, slowing down a little, unfortunately, I can not retire yet, I am 59, and what I would try to do, is take the early retirement at 62 if the Lord allows me to do so.

But, now, make the best of it, like that awesome trip sailing, and those Maragaritas....and like you, I am taking the whole month of August to visit my relatives in Mexico, also other thing of the bucket list...and enjoy all you can.

I will be looking forward to your posting on this forum, like Donny said, post a lot, you are always very articulate and a gentleman.

Take care and keep in touch !!.

#404981 - 07/15/15 06:21 PM Re: It's over... [Re: mdorantes]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
Gary, best wishes for the future. Thanks for all the help you have given me directly and indirectly. God has blessed you with much. I know He has a special place in His heart for you. Prayerfully, Graham

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online