SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#404782 - 07/11/15 06:55 PM It's over...
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
After much soul searching and debating with myself, and my loving wife, I have decided to retire. Yep, after working for 65 years without a break, it's time.

There were lots of things that went into this very difficult decision, mainly my overall health. My back is shot to Hell, my lungs are shot to Hell, and I've grown tied of working 5 to 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year.

A couple days ago I had a lengthy visit with a surgeon. After undergoing a multitude of tests, MRI, Serial X-rays, EMG study, bloodwork, etc..., he determined that there was nothing surgically he could do to alleviate the horrendous spinal pain I have been encountering since this past February. His preliminary diagnosis is peripheral neuropathy, which is itself a nasty, very painful disease that is incurable. I hate taking narcotics, but at this stage of the game, I really don't have much of a choice.

There is some treatment that can slow the progression, but in the past six months I've lost a lot of my needed motor skills, especially in my hands and feet, which is where the disease primarily strikes early on.

As of October 1st, my play for pay days will essentially come to an end. I think I have salted enough money away to retire, and if not, well, that's how it goes. I will be selling off a fair amount of my equipment, probably on this site, PSR-Tutorial and Ebay. I intend to keep the PSR-S900 and one Bose L1. The duplicate gear will be sold to the highest bidders.

I intend to spend most of my time fixing things around the house, and every day when the weather cooperates I'll be out sailing, drinking ice cold Margarettas, fishing, and pretty much just watching the world go by. With luck, I'll be able to piss away every dime before I take the dirt nap.

If my health allows, I intend to make one more voyage to the sunny islands of the south Florida Keys, my favorite place to visit in the entire United States. I sincerely hope the spend the winter there, mostly sailing, but I may play a nite club job one or two nights a week for added income, and to keep my hand in the business while I still have the manual dexterity to play and the voice quality to sing to the ladies. (I NEVER sing to the guys - they don't give a $hit!)

Now, I intend to stick around the forums, if for nothing else, to piss Fran off. (Just kiddin, Fran.) This forum and the PSR Tutorial forum have been a nice place to spend some of my leisure time for more than a decade, and I've met several forum members in person, all of which have turned out to be very nice people.

So, after October 1st, you may not hear from me as much, especially if out at sea and sailing down the eastern seaboard well out of range of any internet connections, but I will be thinking of everyone. And yes, Donny, I'll post videos and photos.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#404785 - 07/11/15 07:22 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Gary ... it is too bad that you are being forced to retire because of health issues, but retirement from the daily grind is pretty good ...
Hopefully, you will be able to enjoy a long happy, pain free retirement ...
God Bless you and Carol and the family ...

#404787 - 07/11/15 07:39 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
124 Offline

Gary, that's a really tough way to have to close the curtain - at some point we're all going to have to do the same and, hopefully, not under the same circumstances that you are facing.

Along the way, I think everyone without exception has enjoyed, benefitted, railed at, and even disagreed with your input from time to time, but you're words have generally been valued in this corner, at least. And this from a Korgie, too! smile

Enjoy whatever you get up to in your retirement, even if you're 'all at sea' sometimes. And I'll be glad to read when you do pop in here occasionally.

All the best,

#404788 - 07/11/15 07:40 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Gary...

This has been a long time coming and I know how hard you have tried to put it off. Since I have known you Carol and I have enjoyed spending time with you & Carol, having you sit in on some of my gigs, hearing of your exploits on jobs, sailing, photography, writing and participating here and other forums. The good news is most of that is still possible in your retirement. I know you enjoy playing and singing at home, learning new material....and the fact is, sometimes that can be more fun than some of the jobs you've labor through.

My wish for you is a pain-free retirement.

See ya in the Sunny South come October.

Eddie

#404792 - 07/11/15 08:39 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Damn it Gary, I don't have a clue of what to say my dear friend. I hope I'll hear from you from time to time. I consider you a very kind and helpful friend. You won't have time for a dog or I'd recommend a couple. Drew's Miss Piggy and her Puppy Gemma keep me wanting to keep on keeping on. I know your clients are really going to miss you. The best to you and Carol in your retirement. Try the Coffee Shops in the mornings when there's nothing on the agenda. There's very nice people there too friend.

Edited by brickboo (07/11/15 08:39 PM)

#404799 - 07/11/15 09:09 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Gary.......
We have talked about this,...your happiness and health comes before anything.
Like I said just because you retire from gigging you will always have music in your heart and can play at home at your leisure in between sailing and enjoying life.
Good luck to you dear friend....stay in touch alot!!

Edited by Dnj (07/11/15 09:10 PM)

#404801 - 07/11/15 09:55 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
adimatis Offline

Loc: Oradea, RO
Best wishes Gary, I hope your health will stay as good as possible, particularly. Take care!

#404802 - 07/11/15 09:59 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
SemiLiveMusic Offline

Loc: Louisiana, USA
Sorry to read this, Gary, I hope you can manage pain and enjoy yourself. I know you will try! Kickapoo Joy Juice might help from time to time.

#404804 - 07/11/15 10:37 PM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm glad you are making this decision, but wish it were under different circumstances.
It's time to enjoy some other things for a change. I know you'll stay busy and make the best of it.
Hope the Drs. are wrong about the diagnosis too.

#404810 - 07/12/15 05:27 AM Re: It's over... [Re: travlin'easy]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Makes me think of that line in the Clint Eastwood movie, Magnum Force..."A man's gotta know his limitations."

In your case, "acceptance" is the operative word...go with the flow.

You'll be okay, Gary. I retired nearly two years ago, and it's the best decision I ever made...I often wonder where I found the time to work. wink

I still play several hours a day, mainly for my own enjoyment, and I'm glad I bought the Tyros4 as a "retirement gift" as it is an awesome musical companion.

Good luck,

Ian

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online