SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#404742 - 07/10/15 08:37 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Don:
I listened to all 8 songs. I agree with Fran’s comments. It truly sounded like a live band. I’m impressed with the drums and bass parts. I wish Yamaha had more of that sound. Vocals very clear. Sounded good through my Bose speakers. I liked your tune selection. I do 3 of those songs myself. Your lead guitar parts remind me of a live club combo. Your style fits well with that material. I can imagine couples on the dance floor. Thanks for posting.

#404743 - 07/10/15 10:05 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks guys!
I did a little tweaking tonight and I am very pleased with what I heard. I did roll bass off a couple of the styles. Most were o.k. though.
I put my usual amount of reverb back on mic.
I played with the new Space Station for the first set, then I unplugged it and plugged my Bose Compacts back in. I am more happy with the way I'm used to hearing it! You can go out into the room and sure enough the Space Station does exactly like they say. You can hear every nuance and the stereo effect everywhere in the room.
However I don't want to compromise what I'm hearing on stage. I'm sure I could work with it and get it right. It is an excellent concept and implementation. I think I will probably stick with what I have though.
I will listen to tonight's recording tomorrow and try to post some more, if they are o.k.
I really appreciate the help!

#404746 - 07/10/15 10:58 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
musicbyallen Offline

Loc: Kissimmee Florida
Hey Don,

I've played fraternal club dances and snowbird dances at mobile parks for 23 years. I still use am sm50 solton and love it.

I listened to all of your songs and found that your vocals were out front and not over reverbed and the bass and drums were right on spot for a good live sound. The Yamaha sound is processed to give a recorded sound which many people are used to.

Personally I like the out front sound of the bass and drums to give it that live sound. Just my opinion.

Allen

#404747 - 07/10/15 11:46 PM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hi Don it's worth here. I have listened to all the recordings. As far as I can hear they sound fine and I'm not bass heavy. In fact everything sounds pretty much the same as any of your recordings. Which makes me wonder why change keyboard or sound system at all? It's very obvious you like a certain sound and a particular style and it suits you. Enjoy what you play but in reality from my ears any minor tweaking that you're making is making actually no real difference at all.

Edited by spalding1968 (07/10/15 11:47 PM)

#404748 - 07/11/15 12:26 AM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: spalding1968]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

Hi Don,

As you know I am seriously contemplating of trading my PA800 and Ketron X1 for the SD7. ( thanks for your views by the way).
Let me start by saying that a couple of months back I purchased a set of 1980 Jamo Studio Monitors ( J-150) and they are linked to my computer via a Denon amplifier. They sound absolute awesome. That is how I listened to your tracks.
With the possible exception of Mack the Knife none of the songs came over as being bass heavy.

Here are my overall impressions:
1. Drums, bass, piano, sax : EXCELLENT
2. Vocals : EXCELLENT ( as to be expected smile )
3. Vocal Harmoniser: hardly there, and if so as in the first
two songs the level is too low to really give a sound
opinion on it. Needs working on no doubt.
4. Styles : I miss hearing most of the acc. tracks other than
of course drums, bass and occasionally some guitar
strumming. I realize that part of this is due to your choice
of repertoire which is basically country. Still would be
nice to hear piano, brass etc. in the accompaniment
sections.

5. on "Misery love company ": Jerry Lee eat your heart out !!

OVERALL WHAT I HEAR IS A VERY ACCOMPLISHED SINGER AND ENTERTAINER BACKED BY A VIRTUAL LIVE BAND.

I am looking forward to hearing some more stuff in time, in particular as to the acc. tracks and of course the Vocal Harmoniser.

regards,
John

#404749 - 07/11/15 04:16 AM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Don, I've heard you play on every brand of arranger keyboards, and you sound great on all of them, but I must say that I think you sound best on Ketron.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#404759 - 07/11/15 08:15 AM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Thanks guys! I pretty much agree with you all. But the tweaking I did last night really helped, I think.
I brought the vocal harmonizer level up, added a little reverb to the vocal and set some more levels on some style parts, particularly the one I used for Mack the Knife! John's comments came AFTER I made these changes, so it affirms my choices.
My performance was better last night for another reason too. You have to be comfortable with what YOU are hearing. With the Space Station, the audience was pleased but I was having to make adjustments to position, adding sub, etc. Together with the work I'm having to do to adjust to the new keyboard, I feel it is too much to take on right now. I'm perfectly please with using two Bose Compacts and will continue to do so.
I will return the Space Station, unless someone wants to buy it. I got a really good deal on it.
After breakfast I will post some of last night's stuff and I would appreciate if you have time to critique it for me.
I'm more and more pleased with the SD7.
I agree with Worth that any changes to my gear is more to please me than the audience at this point, but I do enjoy the more live Ketron sound, and many of the operational features. I will post one song where I edited the bass sound in the style while I was starting the song. It's so easy to do on-the-fly stuff like that. You can even Save things while playing a style or song.
Heck guys, it's a new toy, although the most important tool of my trade as well!
Stay tuned if you are a glutton for punishment! smile

#404763 - 07/11/15 08:26 AM Re: SD7 Recordings [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
Thanks guys! I pretty much agree with you all. But the tweaking I did last night really helped, I think.
I brought the vocal harmonizer level up, added a little reverb to the vocal and set some more levels on some style parts, particularly the one I used for Mack the Knife! John's comments came AFTER I made these changes, so it affirms my choices.
My performance was better last night for another reason too. You have to be comfortable with what YOU are hearing. With the Space Station, the audience was pleased but I was having to make adjustments to position, adding sub, etc. Together with the work I'm having to do to adjust to the new keyboard, I feel it is too much to take on right now. I'm perfectly please with using two Bose Compacts and will continue to do so.
I will return the Space Station, unless someone wants to buy it. I got a really good deal on it.
After breakfast I will post some of last night's stuff and I would appreciate if you have time to critique it for me.
I'm more and more pleased with the SD7.
I agree with Worth that any changes to my gear is more to please me than the audience at this point, but I do enjoy the more live Ketron sound, and many of the operational features. I will post one song where I edited the bass sound in the style while I was starting the song. It's so easy to do on-the-fly stuff like that. You can even Save things while playing a style or song.
Heck guys, it's a new toy, although the most important tool of my trade as well!
Stay tuned if you are a glutton for punishment! smile

Don. ...sorry to hear the Spacestation speaker didn't work out for you, at least you gave it a shot and got it out of your system.
You know what's best for you. It's fun to test new gear out only way to tel if its right for your needs. cool2

carry on...... keys

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online