Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#404669 - 07/09/15 01:26 PM Space Station
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Just got one delivered an hour ago.
Set it up in my office with SD7.
First impressions:
You MUST have sub with it for arrangers. I'm sure for guitar it would be great alone.
Vocals sound fine so far. Have to roll off reverb a lot for some reason.
It sounds better when you get away from it.
Seems to have plenty of power.
I will take it to work tonight and give it the real test.
So far I will keep my Bose Compacts!
But we'll see . . . I have 30 days to decide, but I seriously doubt if it takes more than a night or two!

#404672 - 07/09/15 01:52 PM Re: Space Station [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Don

Its had me interested and from the tons of info in the Keyboard Corner thread it seems to work best at least 6 feet away and tilted back against a wall or better a corner. The bass will be reinforced and the side speaker will reflect better. Some guys are putting the amp on stand either vertically or horizontally. Either way the reviews are fantastic even for guys in rock bands. For an arranger I agree you would need a sub.

Good luck with it and keep us updated.

#404674 - 07/09/15 03:07 PM Re: Space Station [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Don good luck with the new Space station amp,......I hope it works out for you. I can understand the BASS issue with a speaker that size.It's an interesting piece of gear.
Report back asap.

Edited by Dnj (07/09/15 03:29 PM)

#404679 - 07/09/15 04:16 PM Re: Space Station [Re: DonM]
spalding1968 Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I have had one for the last 4 months . I use it regularly at church . I don't need a sub . You do need to be about 6 feet away to appreciate the full sound . When I first had it I was concerned about lack of bass response until I played if live at performance volumes . The amp is also sensitive to cheap cables . I bought some mid priced stereo cables and the amp sounded completely different in a wonderful way . Needless to say I don't have those concerns about lack of bass response any longer .

Overall it's the second best musical investment I ever made next to my keyboard itself .

Edited by spalding1968 (07/09/15 04:21 PM)

#404680 - 07/09/15 04:40 PM Re: Space Station [Re: spalding1968]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: spalding1968
I have had one for the last 4 months . I use it regularly at church . I don't need a sub . You do need to be about 6 feet away to appreciate the full sound . When I first had it I was concerned about lack of bass response until I played if live at performance volumes . The amp is also sensitive to cheap cables . I bought some mid priced stereo cables and the amp sounded completely different in a wonderful way . Needless to say I don't have those concerns about lack of bass response any longer .

Overall it's the second best musical investment I ever made next to my keyboard itself .

What type of music are you plying thru it and do you sing also?

#404684 - 07/09/15 10:24 PM Re: Space Station [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Well I used it all night and I thought it sounded just o.k. But customers, mostly regulars, told me it was clearer than normal and could hear every detail.
After I finished I played back recording I'd made during the night, and thought it was muddy. I plugged the two Bose Compacts in and I thought they sounded great but lacking bottom a little.
But then I a-b'd the two systems for some friends, one of whom is a sound technician, and they both picked the Space Station as sounding better. They didn't know which one they were hearing.
I will have to play with the settings, particularly how much of the "width" to use. I turned it up more when we were listening to playback and it seemed like the sounds spread everywhere, just like it's supposed to do.
Problem is that it sounds a little harsh on the bandstand, but much better from a few feet away to the back of the building.
I think I will have to get used to it.
It is very small in size, but weighs about 40 pounds. I used a very small sub (8-inch, 100 watts, 25 pounds). Tons of bottom. Maybe I'm not used to hearing it, or maybe I had the sub too loud for my taste. Still everyone else loved it.
I have learned that I cannot trust my ears after sitting in front of speakers for four hours!
In the Expedition on the way home, the playback had plenty of highs, not muddy at all, perfect balance.
I'll try again tomorrow night.

#404688 - 07/10/15 01:40 AM Re: Space Station [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Don.. Very interesting review so you're saying you have to use a extra sub to make this unit sound decent?

#404692 - 07/10/15 04:17 AM Re: Space Station [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I have had the CSS for a month or so and it has totally replaced my Bose compact. I have played all sized rooms and from 25-250 people. Also my band and Karaoke shows, The band mates, singers, and audience in general, simply love it.

I bought the Behringer Sub to go with it but don't need it. The lows are fine as is. I did buy the Gator amp stand and put the amp on it's side with the side speaker facing the floor. This way you don't have to worry about a corner or any other reflector to bounce your sound off from.

I went through the same quandry as Don M. Until I used the amp stand, I had to experiment with side deflection, distance from the KB, and volume and width controls.

Start out at 12 O'clock on all with volume at 10 O'clock. Feed a hotter signal through the mixer and/or KB to minimize any distortion and still give you headroom.

Most of all, until you get your placement right, you can't trust your ears. That sounds counter intuitive, but the audience will marvel and you may be disgusted and try to tweek the amp-DON"T until your sure.

I have been playing for sixty years and still don't know it all by any means, but I do know good sound, and this is it.
Bernie

Edited by Bernie9 (07/10/15 04:19 AM)

#404693 - 07/10/15 04:24 AM Re: Space Station [Re: Bernie9]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bernie9
I have had the CSS for a month or so and it has totally replaced my Bose compact. I have played all sized rooms and from 25-250 people. Also my band and Karaoke shows, The band mates, singers, and audience in general, simply love it.

I bought the Behringer Sub to go with it but don't need it. The lows are fine as is.

Wow Bernie that is a BIG Statement vs the BOSE System & the fact that it can cover a room of up to 250 people! I respect your professional opinion, maybe my eyes deceive me as it looks quite small online... what about Vocals?...I will have to look further into this system.
And eventually try one for myself somehow. headphone

#404698 - 07/10/15 05:34 AM Re: Space Station [Re: DonM]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
GRRRRRREAT

Looks and specs are deceiving. I am not so naive to think there are no limits, but when you cover a 100x125 ft room with a couple of hundred people with volume at noon, it is holding it's own.

If I were doing left hand base with a loud rock band, I would want my sub.

Edited by Bernie9 (07/10/15 05:43 AM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online