SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4028 - 04/05/02 12:17 PM SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
SpellcasterVicky Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
I want to edit from my pc. I'm using an Akai cd3000xl. I've plugged in the scsi correctly but I don't know about the ID situation and the manual is so confusing.

These are my setting I read from the akai at present:-
MIDI via SCSI:OFF
Local SCSI ID:6
Remote SCSI:6

Is there anyone out there who can run me through what I need to do to set it up direct to my pc? Please , please get in touch soon.

Many Thanks

Vicky

------------------

#4029 - 04/05/02 12:21 PM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
SpellcasterVicky Offline

Please let me know what software you use for edit ie:- recycle or something so I can do a test check to see all works ok. :0)

#4030 - 04/05/02 12:31 PM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
freddynl Offline

Loc: netherlands
Vicky,
I don't have any idea about your akai(what is it?) BUT local and remote on same ID is the perfect way for crashing your harddisk!

Change one of the ID's!
As you want to edit from pc, I would suggest
change the harddisk in your akai to ID 1.

Just in case the local ID is the scsi CONTROLLER of the Akai (I don't know the akai) which I presume because it is on ID6, there's only a very small chance it will work, as both of the scsi controllers (akai or pc) want control at the same time, unless you could slave the akai controller.
f.i. by unterminating the akai controller

There should be something in your manual about this though.

If the akai controller is fixed ID and unchangable, you will have to change the ID of the controller of your PC.
Ofcourse to a FREE ID not one which is used by pc harddisk/cdrom/writer...!

Let us know exactly the configuration of scsi chain and devices!

#4031 - 04/05/02 12:41 PM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
SpellcasterVicky Offline

I've set local on the akai cd3000xl to 1 as you sugested. But as for anythingelse I am completely clueless at this stage! But thanks for your help anyway.

------------------

#4032 - 04/05/02 12:44 PM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
SpellcasterVicky Offline

I've just found in the manual that the default setting in the SCSI drive ID is 4.

------------------

#4033 - 04/05/02 12:46 PM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
SpellcasterVicky Offline

And the drive sector size is set to default on:512b

------------------

#4034 - 04/05/02 05:02 PM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
freddynl Offline

Setting up external scsi devices without basic knowledge of scsi is like driving a car without knowing where the brakes are!
just teasing LOL

Ok,
I Did a search and aparantly your akai is the intermediate follow up of the s3000 sampler!
I could not find whether there is a harddisk inside or not, but there probably is a cd-rom inside?

So A few questions;
1. Is there a harddisk in your cd3000xl?
2. Is there a cd rom in your cd3000xl?
3. Which scsi adaptercard is in your PC?
(it shows up when you boot your PC)
4. Are the aspilayers installed in your PC?
and when everything has been set up;
5. What exactly do you want to do with the scsi connection?
f.i. transfering wav files? editing the sampled sounds in your sampler? midi transfers?

Let us know!
Without details nobody will be able to help you out!

Fred

#4035 - 04/06/02 05:14 AM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
SpellcasterVicky Offline

Thanks for getting back to me Fred. Well you sound like a man who knows what he's on about but for safty sake i've removed the scsi from the pc just until i'm fully on board with your instructions.

1. No
2. Yes
3. Tekram
4. Aspilayers? I do not know.
5. I want to get the xp50 analogue synth samples into the PC via scsi. Edit them using recycle, cool edit, wavelab or sound forge. Save as wav. and import into Cubase for arranging & for mixing. And that's all Fred.

------------------

#4036 - 04/07/02 01:46 PM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
freddynl Offline

Well that looks like easy;
As you removed the scsi card I presume you have no scsi devices in your PC.

So there's only one device, namely the scsi cd-rom in your akai sampler.

The only thing you have to worry about is that the controller in your sampler is not on same ID as the tekram controller in your pc. and ofcourse the cd-rom has another ID as both controllers.

I never owned a Tekram, but I looked at their website and apparantly these cards come with a pci utility for setup, which probably will also install the aspi layers needed for windows O/S systems.

step one.
So first to do if you did not already;
Install card (do not connect yet the sampler)
Use the pci utility to find on which ID the card is! (probably on ID 6 - last in 1rst chain for autotermination.)

Configure your sampler;
1. If possible set controller on ID 5
2. set cd-rom on ID 1 or 2 or 3 or 4..!

When done you can connect safely.
Allways keep in mind that whenever you add any other scsi device, first look at the ID's , set the new device on a FREE ID first, before connecting.

Step 2
Boot both systems where I suggest sampler first.
Cheque or your tekram card finds the cd-rom and the akai controller..
If ok, your hardware is set up wright.

Step 3
For transfering roland(xp50) files you probably need software which is able to read roland files.
Windows cannot read roland format by itselve.
I suggest wavelab as you do use cubase and wavelab comes from steinberg as well.

Good luck,

Fred

Note;
Just in case the sampler devices are not detected by the tekram card, try rebooting in reverse order..pc first and then sampler.
I don't know or the tekram cards have their own bios or that they depend on windows O/s.

#4037 - 04/07/02 01:59 PM Re: SCSI Set Up To Pc Help Please!
SpellcasterVicky Offline

Thanks alot Fred for taking the time on this for me. I've been reading through page after page of confusing tutorials on scsi.

I've printed off your instructions....Here goes!

------------------

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online