SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#403536 - 06/16/15 05:46 PM Re: Carrying your gear [Re: travlin'easy]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
Good seat but too big to carry around all the time this is always a problem for us guys

#403537 - 06/16/15 06:08 PM Re: Carrying your gear [Re: Stein67]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Thank you for that bit of info Gary. I'm sure I'll think of that tonight while I try to fall asleep.

Not as fat as he used to be, Joe

#403541 - 06/16/15 07:43 PM Re: Carrying your gear [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: travlin'easy
The thing I like about my Quic Lock 749 seat is that is is full adjustable, it has a backrest, footrest and folds up flat for transportation and storage. The only thing that Donny don't like about it is the weight. It's made from welded, heavy gauge steel and tips the scales at just under 18 pounds. However, when Joe Ayala was near his top weight, he sat upon it with no problems. While the weight capacity was just 250 pounds, I modified mine, made the seat larger, added a steel plate, thicker padding and reupholstered it with heavier grade leather, which added another 5 pounds to the overall weight of the seat, but I'm sure it also increased the weight capacity quite a bit.

All the best,

Gary cool

Nice seat BUT in my quest to travel light I stopped carrying a seat of any kind and I've used quite a few,....being I'm a very low sitter I just use what ever chairs they have at the gig with no problems...I also carry a seat pad just in case also....one less thing to haul around ...

carry on!

#403546 - 06/16/15 09:27 PM Re: Carrying your gear [Re: Stein67]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I'm just going to start standing up for all my jobs.
NOT!
I actually wish I could, but I use the pedals too much and have trouble feeling my feet anyway so it's not an option.
For short jobs of an hour or so, I have a folding stool that weighs about 3 pounds. I have had it for years but don't use it much. Once I made the mistake of letting my late friend HankB have it. After he died I got it back.
Damn I miss Hank.

#403566 - 06/17/15 06:12 AM Re: Carrying your gear [Re: travlin'easy]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I think most of the "steeler's seats" are fixed height. Probably the height that works best for playing pedal steel (although even those guys might want adjustability due to varying person-heights?!) Anyway, I tested out my steel-playing friend's seat, and it was perfect for me. At that time, I played bass pedals, and it was perfect height for me to play those (a bit higher than just playing keys). I bought my pac a seat (can't remember which maker I bought mine from) almost 20 years ago, and it has help up fine for that long, gig after gig. Mine has the original upholstery, original hardware, never a problem. I do tighten up the screws on the "piano hinge" part, every couple of years.

It can be somewhat heavy when you load it up with stuff; depends what you put in it. Mine has a mic, lots of cables, spare cables and adapters, power cords, MIDI cables, USB cables, stuff like that ... it has 4 compartments, so I can "organize" stuff a bit, too ...

-Jim

#403571 - 06/17/15 06:42 AM Re: Carrying your gear [Re: Stein67]
Dnj Offline

Jim no doubt its a great seat and flexible & useful piece of gear...but I would say its more suited for the "House" style player who stays put for a while at jobs vs an everyday on the road travelin' easy kind of performer as many of us are packing up and running all over day after day gig after gig...but the adjustable legs IMO is a must.

#403581 - 06/17/15 08:34 AM Re: Carrying your gear [Re: Stein67]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
You don't have adjustable legs on those chairs you borrow when you play! smile

#403592 - 06/17/15 11:46 AM Re: Carrying your gear [Re: Dnj]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I guess it's a personal-preference thing ... I've used this (Pac-a-seat or "steeler's seat") for many hundreds of gigs over ~20 years, and I guess I'm just used to carrying it. Since it is "boxy" in shape, it fits nicely on the Rock'n'Roller cart (as you see in the photos I posted), and I can stack something on top of it easily.
And I've gotten used its modest weight and carrying it. As seen in my photo (a few notes back, in this thread), my Rock'n'Roller cart isn't even all that 'full' of stuff, that is, what I carry to gigs is modest (for solo gigs anyway).

It's a different story when my full band (6 pieces) is playing, but as a full band I only do less than a dozen gigs a year; most of mine are solo/duo/trio, and the Pac a Seat is something I don't mind at all "toting" from home to gig and back etc. The Nano 600 has worked great too, I only need my bigger PA on the occasional very larger or outdoor gig.

-Jim

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online