SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#40368 - 07/02/03 06:35 PM Re: Styles for Kn2600&KN2400??
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
To the new board style seekers,

Technote has all kinds of styles for your keyboard for sale. I don’t know if KN7000 styles are compatible with your boards. However there are many styles that will work. There are also many many styles that have been converted from all the other makes of keyboards that are available from many sources just for the asking. As far as me personably I have very few styles, maybe a dozen, that I use once in a while that are not native to my KN7000. I have had all of the technics keyboards to date plus another make that I must say never turned me on after I bought it. A waste of money, but live and learn. I suppose if I never was spoiled by the KN’s I would have thought they were excellent. Kind of like owning a Mercedes and then buying a Chevy. Oh well! I will say that at a period of my life I did have many many styles. I had disks full of them. I had so many disks of styles that I bought a hard disk for my KN5000 to get things under control and organized. Hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of styles. Hundreds and hundreds of bucks. Man, I had a collection. After time went on and many many hours of work organizing, guess what? I found I hardly ever used them on jobs or playing at home. I finally realized most of the on board styles were far superior to the rest if I just took a little time to match the style to the song. I also found that by altering the existing on board style a little, was far better than the others. Muting a few things, changing volumes of some parts, maybe a drum set, an instrument choice, things like that. I then would save these changes, give them a name and save them in a section of the hard disk. I then note the rhythm style or styles, the tempo or some other pertinent info on the music and everything was fast and cool. Now everything runs clean and lean. Now with the advent of the SD card everything is fast, cool and smooth. No seven hundred dollars for a hard drive. When the new boards come out down the road, wow! Take my little SD card, boogie over to the 8000, slip it in the ity-bity silver slot and away we go. Gramps is cooking again. Funny. When I got the seven and first played it at one of the restaurants I regularly play, what were the remarks? Wow, new keyboard? Looks great. OR. You been takin lessens? Never heard you sound so good! OR. One guy said, for a minute I thought Lenny Dee was here. No, I said, just some of the new organ stuff on here. Anyway thanks for the five and thanks for coming. You bet, I’ll be back. See ya. Nice feeling. Kind of makes the three G’s seem worthwhile.

Anyway, collect to your hearts content, kind of fun for awhile. I did! But it’s hard to beat what ya got. Sorry, I got rid of all those things and glad I did but had fun with the experience.

Grandpa Doug

#40369 - 07/03/03 02:00 PM Re: Styles for Kn2600&KN2400??
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi John,
I'm not sure if I read correctly, but just in case you're not aware, technics have a website where you can download their earlier styles, but these will only work on a KN7000 http://www.technicskn7000.com/home.asp

As for creating & editing styles, the kn7 has some wonderful features. A great one to look at is easy composer. What it does is mix & match internal style parts to create new styles. All you do is scroll through & listen how the different parts from differing styles sound together. Then create a style out of it. It's a very simple process.
I haven't tried it on my kn7, but I used to use it on the odd occasion on my kn5 when I couldn't find a suitable style. From memory I think it only does the variations though, you'd have to use fills and intro's from existing styles or create your own.

I think it would be a great idea to share style creation tips, as the kn's have a great style creation facilities.

best wishes
Rikki

[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruno123:
[B]I have not been able to find very much info on this board...being new to this forum I would appreciate if you would please explain how I would go about collecting some extra styles...

I have not seen much on how to edit the exsisting style, or possibly creating a new one.

There many areas that can not be created without special talent, but to learn how to edit or adjust a small section of the style is not that difficult.

My vote is to start sharing the basics about style editing on this forum. Creating can be lot's of fun, and it is you that you listen to when you're done. Just a thought.

Wishing everybody has a great day, John C

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

#40370 - 07/03/03 02:04 PM Re: Styles for Kn2600&KN2400??
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Well the question still has not been answered for me. How many user styles can be stored for immediate USE in the 2400/2600?
Maybe FlutteringBy can enlighten me. He has loaded some user styles. From where are they played? From disk, user memory? How many memory sports/slots are there? Just curious?
Anyone know if there are Technics dealers in Toronto, Ontario, Canada? I filled out Technics form to find out, but I didn't find an email address.
Starkeeper

#40371 - 07/03/03 04:23 PM Re: Styles for Kn2600&KN2400??
FlutteringBy Offline

Loc: Northern Canada
Hi Starkeeper,

Yes, I have loaded some styles onto my 2400 board....initially I play them from disk, make any changes, save them to a panel memory & then I can play from there....or, if they are a style that I won't use very often, I'll just leave it on disk & play from there.....as usual, there isn't just one way to do things & that's what makes it so difficult to explain things....

The 2400 has 3 banks of 8 panel memories, so I have 24 panel memories with instant access....

Another point that should be mentioned, is that both the 2400 & the 2600 have a usb port, so you could easily hook up a laptop for additional memory space.....

Hope this helps,
FlutteringBy

#40372 - 07/03/03 05:25 PM Re: Styles for Kn2600&KN2400??
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
[QUOTE]Originally posted by FlutteringBy:

initially I play them from disk, make any changes, save them to a panel memory & then I can play from there....explain things....

I can use some clarification here. Are saying you can play the style direct from the disk without loading it into the keyboard? On every keyboard from the KN1000 to the KN7000, this was not possible. Is the KN2400 offering something new?

Also, saving the style in the panel memory is something I do not understand. This was never possible before. The panel memory stored many things, but never a style. It can recall a style from an area in the keyboard, but the style itself is not stored. Again, is the KN2400 offering someting new?

Thank you, John C.

#40373 - 07/04/03 09:10 AM Re: Styles for Kn2600&KN2400??
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
John C,

NO and NO to both of your inquiries. These new keyboards are only a cheeper version of the top of the line technics. The quality of construction is still very good as well as quality of the styles and sounds. Just some of the features have been left out to reduce the cost. The amp and speakers are not as powerful and full bodied as the 7000 but still very good. A cost factor then again. The custom area for the storage of 20 styles or rhythms other than the factory ones has been eliminated. Another cost factor. However the 24 can store all of these on a floppy as they always were able to do to be loaded into the composer at will. The 2600 however has the new SD card technology same as the 7000 to store all of these things for instant recall. Great, great improvement over the hard disk and floppy disk and at no extra cost to us. Wonderful! I would suspect this might eliminate the need for the customs storage area altogether in the future new keyboards. The styles stored in the customs section when recalled are treated the same as the standard inboard resident styles and rhythms. When using the MSA (music style arranger) there are four variations that will also trigger four different sets of voicings along with progressively enhanced variation of the style. When recalling these from the SD card the voicings are loaded into the first four panel memories instead of the four variation buttons. However the variation buttons can be told to trigger one of the first four panel memory buttons thereby no difference in operation. There also is an advantage to this method. The panel memory has eight slots for voiceings instead of only four. So in essence, the 24, (the cheapest) has the older floppy technology, the 26 (middle line of cost) has the SD card and no floppy but rather USB or card reader through computer and the top of line 7000 has everything, even built in dust cover. Hope this might be of some help. If not we will try again.

Grandpa Doug

#40374 - 07/04/03 09:55 AM Re: Styles for Kn2600&KN2400??
Starkeeper Offline

Loc: Toronto
Douglas Dean,
I think I'm getting it. Don't want to post on two threads, so I'll post in the other thread.
Starkeeper

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online