SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#403530 - 06/16/15 01:59 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Dang, I wish it would stop raining so I could go fishing.

DANG!!!!!!

Hmmm, I wonder how long it has to rain before "dang" turns into uh, something less printable smile smile smile.

chas

#403532 - 06/16/15 03:39 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
Good comments from everyone. Instructive, for sure. I see my situation for song selection in many of the other observations posted. I work 4 times weekly in a private dining club. Most of the patrons are middle-aged, or retired. Most come from professional backgrounds. Those factors, alone, pretty much determine the song selections. No drunks or loud TV’s. That makes for nice ambience. The music is primarily low-volume background music, with some dancers at times. I’m located very close to the diners and talk with them often. One guy shows up often, with a ready-made list of tunes he’s written out. Sometimes with as many as 10 songs on the list. I don’t mind, since he tips very, very well. Wish I had more patrons like that.

#403533 - 06/16/15 05:21 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
At one time, I printed out 100 playlist books. Everything was listed alphabetically, and I left at least one book at every venue. They all disappeared within two months. I later found out that the competition grabbed up MY books, changed the cover and used it as their own - needless to say, I was pissed. Those guys, fortunately, were not very talented and no longer perform. Ironically, some new comers in this area have been showing up at some of the places I perform just to get an idea what to play. I'm kinda flattered about this, though. smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#403598 - 06/17/15 12:48 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: The Pro]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By: The Pro
One trick that has worked for me is to offer the audience, or people who want to make requests, a songlist to choose from. That way they will always pick songs that I know instead of stammering around asking for songs I don't know (endlessly). I can't play everything and wouldn't want to play it if I did so guiding the audience to where I want them to go seems to not only save us both frustration but it adds to my tip jar as well.

esh ... nice to see you are still around ... I hope things are going well for you ...

#403603 - 06/17/15 01:41 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Once you let the audience run the show, silly requests lists, etc, like a karaoke act in a bar, & your NOT in Control your done!...secondly all this means squat if your music ain't good enough to please any audience, & there are alot of bad acts out there, It takes YEARS & YEARS of experience and talent to get it right,........be the quarterback on stage run your team (Audience) the way YOU want them to behave with YOUR Music done right in whatever way you desire.....hope I didn't offend anyone its just my take on it, but what do I know?

carry on..

Donny

I think your jumping the gun on this setlist thing. It really depends on the job. If doing a dance type gig or party where your trying to control the energy and tempo of the room by all means requests can kill the vibe instantly. I was doing a NYE party with a girl singer and about 11PM we had the place rockin big time and some gentlemen comes up to me and asks for a Cha Cha. Talk about a floor clearer !!
In the case of an easy listening gig at a restaurant however I think its a great idea as your interacting with the crowd more one on one and a certain song is not going to throw you off. If its a stupid request, and we all get those, I tell them I'll try to work it in later. We both remember Al Rondo and he was great. He did requests constantly and that was part of his popularity.
Just did something for the first time on a gig. Lady asked for a song I never heard of " Love Runs Out" and told me its a great dance number. I was hesitant but figured I could cut it short if it was terrible. Looked it up on my IPhone, plugged it in and a bunch of people ran to the dance floor. Who knew ???

Edited by Bill Lewis (06/17/15 01:43 PM)

#403604 - 06/17/15 01:51 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: Bill Lewis]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
Originally Posted By: Dnj
Once you let the audience run the show, silly requests lists, etc, like a karaoke act in a bar, & your NOT in Control your done!...secondly all this means squat if your music ain't good enough to please any audience, & there are alot of bad acts out there, It takes YEARS & YEARS of experience and talent to get it right,........be the quarterback on stage run your team (Audience) the way YOU want them to behave with YOUR Music done right in whatever way you desire.....hope I didn't offend anyone its just my take on it, but what do I know?

carry on..

Donny

I think your jumping the gun on this setlist thing. It really depends on the job. If doing a dance type gig or party where your trying to control the energy and tempo of the room by all means requests can kill the vibe instantly. I was doing a NYE party with a girl singer and about 11PM we had the place rockin big time and some gentlemen comes up to me and asks for a Cha Cha. Talk about a floor clearer !!
In the case of an easy listening gig at a restaurant however I think its a great idea as your interacting with the crowd more one on one and a certain song is not going to throw you off. If its a stupid request, and we all get those, I tell them I'll try to work it in later. We both remember Al Rondo and he was great. He did requests constantly and that was part of his popularity.
Just did something for the first time on a gig. Lady asked for a song I never heard of " Love Runs Out" and told me its a great dance number. I was hesitant but figured I could cut it short if it was terrible. Looked it up on my IPhone, plugged it in and a bunch of people ran to the dance floor. Who knew ???

Bill as you know every gig has a different scenario & combination of songs to make it work of which the performer must know asap after the job starts, as we never know whats gonna happen.....being very well prepared with a tool box that can be mixed & cover ANY SITUATION is the key to success always. Knowing how to use the tool box is where the experience comes into play to make it all work together. You tube on your phone or iPad etc is a savior for off the wall requests in today's music scene to accommodate the audience a method I have used myself many times, BUT, I always take the request and on a break check out the song first before I play it to make sure its appropriate & fits into the venue.....many new songs have two versions ...."Dirty" & "Clean" so you see you have to be very careful not to offend children, or certain clients... cool2

Edited by Dnj (06/17/15 01:59 PM)

#403609 - 06/17/15 02:29 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#403610 - 06/17/15 02:41 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
rphillipchuk Online   content

Loc: Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By: travlin'easy

Awesome Tune !!! Great energy !!!

Styles
Yamaha Styles Only
Midi Safe

#403612 - 06/17/15 02:48 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: travlin'easy]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
I'm currently getting to grips with a Steely Dan repertoire for a tribute band over here in the U.K. Boy those fellas sure mix up the chord sequences and the chords themselves more than somewhat, but I can't stop listening to it now in the car whilst travelling from A to B.

#403614 - 06/17/15 03:01 PM Re: What kind of music do audiences want to hear?... [Re: rphillipchuk]
Dnj Offline

This song is popular been in my tool box for a while,...But It needed to be edited for the dance floor especially around 2:15 when it
"slows down" killing the energy for dancing,.....
I like it more "strict tempo" all the way for my needs as shown. headphone

Attachments
Love Runs Out - One Republic.mp3 (26 downloads)

Edited by Dnj (06/17/15 03:03 PM)

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online