SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#403473 - 06/15/15 11:48 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: 124]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
It's the same size of all the M's...just older and way fewer controls.

The term "Little" was mine, not part of the Hammond designation.

Russ

#403475 - 06/15/15 12:32 PM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
I used an M-3 (with a Leslie 147RV) for quite a while...it was the usual spinet style with the shorter pedal board, drawbars for the two 44 note staggered manuals, and no presets whatsoever. It was, however a great little organ with the same sound as it's bigger brother, the B-3 and a really superb chorus/vibrato.

It has all the essentials for organ work, including harmonic percussion, although the shorter keyboards and one octave pedal board were sometimes a disadvantage. Still, the keyboards were beautifully made and very responsive.

It was also considerably lighter than a B-3.

One of it's close kin, the M-102, was used by Matthew Fisher (Procul Harum) to record the enduring rock classic, A Whiter Shade Of Pale, so these instruments did have that legendary Hammond sound.

Ian

#403477 - 06/15/15 12:43 PM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: captain Russ]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
It's the same size of all the M's...just older and way fewer controls.

The term "Little" was mine, not part of the Hammond designation.

Russ

Thanks, Russ. Had me wondering for a bit, there.

#403480 - 06/15/15 01:17 PM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: ianmcnll]
124 Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I used an M-3 (with a Leslie 147RV) for quite a while...it was the usual spinet style with the shorter pedal board, drawbars for the two 44 note staggered manuals, and no presets whatsoever. It was, however a great little organ with the same sound as it's bigger brother, the B-3 and a really superb chorus/vibrato.

It has all the essentials for organ work, including harmonic percussion, although the shorter keyboards and one octave pedal board were sometimes a disadvantage. Still, the keyboards were beautifully made and very responsive.

It was also considerably lighter than a B-3.

One of it's close kin, the M-102, was used by Matthew Fisher (Procul Harum) to record the enduring rock classic, A Whiter Shade Of Pale, so these instruments did have that legendary Hammond sound.

Ian

For sure, Ian. That old M102 I had was built like a tank.

Originally, I had an L102 and, as nice a condition it was in, I traded it straight across for the M.

How it came about was we were booked into this seafront pub in Southend and this banged up M102 was just sitting under a sheet at the back of the stage. So I asked the landlord if he'd be interested in a straight swap for my immaculate L102. He said yes, and We drove away with the M that night.

One trick I used to like with the M was having the 2nd percussion tab down and then just easing down on the 3rd tab. It would put a lovely 'scream' into the percussion. smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online