SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#403449 - 06/15/15 05:47 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: Bill Lewis]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By: Bill Lewis
It's a different musical world.

That it is. But in truth, a number of factors contributed to the demise of GOOD live bands in clubs, especially the jazz organ based trios/quartets.

1. Only 'Superstars' who can afford roadies are willing to carry a B3 and several Leslies around from venue to venue.

2. Few clubs, especially jazz clubs, are able or willing to pay for these groups on a regular basis.

3. The classic "Jazz organ trio/quartet" of the 60's, 70's, and early 80's, was NEVER that popular except in predominantly Black, jazz-oriented, clubs and even then, only in certain cities like San Francisco, Philadelphia, and Atlantic City. New York seemed to lean more towards traditional (progressive) jazz groups (think Miles, Parker, etc.). In Atlantic City alone during the mid 60's, on any given weekend during the summer, you could hear Wild Bill Davis, 'Brother' Jack McDuff, Don Patterson, Jimmy McGriff, Johnny 'Hammond' Smith, and many other stand-out players (including several White players whose names escape me at the moment) of that era. Asking to 'sit in' was common and was usually just a way of trying to 'gorilla the gig' from the existing group, but produced some 'insane' performances. But I digress......

4. The waning popularity of these groups had the usual effect of producing fewer and fewer quality jazz organists. Most of the current lineup of great players, ie. Tony Monaco, Joey Defrancesco, etc. consider themselves to be 'Torch Bearers', trying to keep that art form alive, and are quick to pay tribute to the 'old masters', especially Jimmy Smith. Whether their efforts will produce a new generation of jazz organist remains to be seen. Let's hope so.

5. Fewer and fewer well-maintained, quality I B3's remain and fewer still technicians to maintain them. Although there are many capable 'Clonewheels' available, none seem to have the 'panache' of the real thing; plus, a new Hammond B3 Mk 11 costs about $25k. But even with the more affordable models, few of todays keyboardist are willing to spring for a dedicated clone, especially if they need additional non-organ sounds.

So, enjoy the performances like the one posted. You probably won't be able to see them much longer. Sad.

chas

#403450 - 06/15/15 06:26 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Enjoy the past,.......but always Embrace the future.

#403458 - 06/15/15 09:50 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Chas, I have a little M...not M-3, but M. That's the organ Booker T recorded all his tunes on. This one was purchased in 1950 new.

It's worth nothing. I got it when a little lady who has been coming to hear me for 30 years seemed off her game. Turns out, she was going to be moved to an assisted living home.

She still had her dad's old M. She wanted me to buy it to give it a good home. It was in good shape (not working, but fixable) but not worth anything.

To please her, I gave her $200.00 and went with my son to get it. We couldn't get it down the stairs so we hired a piano moving company...another $250.00.

My technician came over to add oil, and found out that the generator motor was shot...another $495.00.

I'm now about $945.00 into an instrument worth tons in memories...sounds good, but worth, you guessed it....NOTHING!

You're welcome to it! FREE! Just bring a truck, and I help load it!

Look up the little M.... a few drawbars...that's it!

Be well!

Russ (Booker T wannabe) Lay

Edited by captain Russ (06/15/15 09:52 AM)

#403463 - 06/15/15 11:22 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: DonM]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: DonM
They certainly have nimble fingers. Sounds as if it's about who can play the most notes per measure and not lose track of the chord.

Don, I know that you're too good a musician to really believe that that's what their playing is all about. These guys are giants within that genre' and (I believe) play what they think THIS song calls for in THIS situation. JMO, though. Different strokes....

chas

#403464 - 06/15/15 11:25 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

and Im sure there are better sleeping "Giants" players out there that no one even knows about on B3 etc,.....just sayin'

Edited by Dnj (06/15/15 11:25 AM)

#403465 - 06/15/15 11:26 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Chas, I like the Jimmy Smith version a lot, and these guys were certainly shining, but it seemed like they were trying to out-do each other. But that's o.k. As you say, the situation probably called for just that!

#403467 - 06/15/15 11:27 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: Dnj]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Donny, there may be, but thee guys are the creme of the players alive today, that we know of.

Of course, there may be a kid in a dive somewhere that can blow them all away.

Russ

#403468 - 06/15/15 11:31 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
You're welcome to it! FREE! Just bring a truck, and I help load it!

Russ, that's really generous of you but at this stage of my life, I've decided not add a single other keyboard, not even a Melodica smile. If, no...WHEN, I downsize, I may get rid of everything and just put a cherry b3/122 and a small quality Grand piano in my living room and that's it. Even today, I only play my KeyB organ anymore. But again, thanks for the offer. If I were just 10 years younger.....

chas

#403469 - 06/15/15 11:35 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: captain Russ
that we know of.
Russ

exactly Russ.... wink

#403470 - 06/15/15 11:35 AM Re: The CAT.......................... [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Russ, what's a ''Little M''? I had an old beat up M102 for many years - what a warrior, but I never heard the term Little M before.

Funny you should mention the M3. I know of one sitting in pristine condition in the smoking room of a seniors' residence. It probably reeks of tobacco, though.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online