SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#403090 - 06/03/15 07:55 AM Re: On The Street Where You Live T5 Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
very good Rico

#403140 - 06/04/15 04:21 PM Re: On The Street Where You Live T5 Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Great job Rico! I really enjoyed it.

Thanks,

Joe

#403142 - 06/04/15 05:48 PM Re: On The Street Where You Live T5 Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
kaimei19 Offline

Loc: Victoria, Australia
Rico,

Another top performance. You clearly had a ton of fun playing it.

Thanks and regards,
Phil

#403221 - 06/07/15 10:47 PM Re: On The Street Where You Live T5 Rico [Re: KeyBTyros]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Hi Rico,

I have to go against the tide here and say I was very disappointed with your version of this song.

I know you were doing a “Klaus,” and, technically, you were right on the money, but I feel you went into overkill on interpretation. It came across as robotic and “choppy” and devoid of feeling.

Also, I think you overused your glissando’s. You used more of them than Jerry Lee Lewis did in his whole lifetime.

The drums are too dominant and constant with not enough noticeable fills. The drum line swallowed up the whole song.

Now, I’ve listened to your other recordings and know you put out some good work. I especially liked your Maria Elena and I think you put out Brazil (?). In your Tico-Tico you threw down a ¼ note in a place in a measure I never thought of….I was impressed. I can see you’re very detailed about your arrangements.

But getting back to “on the street.” It’s somewhat of a dreamy, love song if you listen to the words. It should be played in a romantic vein......legato.....hold the notes. I, myself, consider it sacred and untouchable. I play it straight as I get a lot of request for it and people just love the melody. I did a German Beer Garden yesterday and they even asked for it there.

May I give you a hint that I was told years ago. Learn the words to a song before you decide how you want to play it. That’s what gives the song it’s correct phrasing. Then squeeze every emotion you can out of a tune like this. Listen to what Tony Bennett does with a song. That is why he’s still popular and still singing out there in his 80’s.

You have creative ideas, good fingering and I enjoy hearing just about all of your arrangements.....just not this one!

MARK

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online