SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#402829 - 05/27/15 03:14 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: ianmcnll]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
Originally Posted By: guitpic1

And weight/size issue might be in part what is driving one of Yamaha's new MOTL arrangers:

http://au.yamaha.com/en/products/musical...=product_lineup

From the spec sheet..."The PSR-S670 features two assignable live controllers..."

This looks very interesting, and hopefully we will see these assignable knobs on the S960 and S760 and even more importantly, they will wind up on next Tyros.

Formerly, these were only on the entry level PSR-E-series, and having "live" control over voice filter and resonance is very expressive indeed.

When I was doing Yamaha Arranger clinics, only a small percentage of users were doing the gig thing, but those using them had locked on to a great little tool for one man (and two man) jobs.

Regarding solo and duo acts in my area, there seems to be an increasing usage of MP3 players for accompaniment tracks, whether inbuilt to a keyboard (where they can also use styles and/or SMF) or stand alone units such as laptops.

Ian

The future is atleast 8 endless encoders on every pro instrument, you can do so much live controlling with that.. If you look at current controll keyboards that have a lot of daw integration then they are all build around 8 endless controllers... akai advance, NI complete controll, Ableton push, Nektar panorama...

With some vision you can see a new standard being developed, and my best guess is all pro instruments will be compatible with this standard in the future... A new standard for DAW integration and communication between devices...

The next Tyros should definately have 8 knobs...

Edited by Bachus (05/27/15 03:15 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#402830 - 05/27/15 03:58 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: Bachus]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: Bachus

The next Tyros should definately have 8 knobs...

Hell, I'd be happy with just two assignable knobs. We used a PSR-E423 in the studio and were very impressed at the great sounds we could get out of it using filter and resonance etc.

I come from an analog synth background, so these controls are very familiar and useful to me, especially for "live" play.

Two would be quite acceptable, but eight would be simply great.

Ian

#402831 - 05/27/15 03:59 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: ianmcnll]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
My keyboard player had a portable B3 and an oversized two-man speaker. It was great, we gave it our all when setting up and breaking down. I had my guitar setup and a PA to carry. Both he and I worked very hard. But I was in my 20’s, 30’s 40’s and 50’s, it is no longer the same.

My Dad and I had to move pianos on occasion, we were both piano tuners. He taught how to handle the weight of what we were transporting. I feel it would be a good idea to share our methods of how we handle our equipment.

How I handle lifting my keyboard:

1-The keyboard bag is placed on the arms of my recliner’s arms.

2-I lift the keyboard with straight arms off the stand on to the bag.

3-Zipped the bag closed.

4-I place my silver hand truck near the front of the recliner.

5-I slide the end of the keyboard on to the floor; the other end is still resting on the recliner. Once it’s on the floor I stand the keyboard up and walk it onto the hand truck.

6-I walk the keyboard off the hand truck next to the door of my car – tilt the keyboard onto the back seat of the car and lift the other end and push it in.

7-On the job I do the same. Two chairs / keyboard on the seats of the chairs / open the bag / lift the keyboard on to the stand. Lifting the full weight of the keyboard happens two times. The distance is short and my arms are straight with a straight back. The system works great and the only time I have a problem is when I am rushing and get careless. Once when I was done playing I placed the keyboard on the floor, I paid a price for what I did.

There was a time when I would grab the handle of the keyboard and walked it to the car, that time has passed.

I hope this helps, John C.

#402832 - 05/27/15 05:47 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: J. Larry]
Dnj Offline

[quote=J. arrangers are pitched largely to us old fogies, as some have argued, then you’d think the manufacturers would be keenly aware of the weight and size issue of their keyboards. [/quote]

why should they? .....unless your a pro gigging player...the weight shouldn't matter if the KB is always gonna stay in your living room.

#402838 - 05/27/15 07:39 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: Dnj]

Donny if the keyboard is going to stay at home why not have an organ; you don’t have to use the pedals. That’s what I’m going to do when I no longer play out.

John C.

#402840 - 05/27/15 07:48 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: bruno123
Donny if the keyboard is going to stay at home why not have an organ; you don’t have to use the pedals. That’s what I’m going to do when I no longer play out.

John C.

I guess that would work John if you were an organ player...
good luck to you.

#402842 - 05/27/15 09:17 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: bruno123

John C.

I guess that would work John if you were an organ player...
good luck to you.

Current day organs like wersi and bohm are quite expensive...

And then there is always the Nord C2D, but then thats not really a piece of furniture.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#402843 - 05/27/15 09:29 AM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: guitpic1]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
The problem I have with a "home" instrument, like an organ (with arranger features) or Clavinova, would be service. These are huge instruments to ship for repairs etc. unless the maintenance people make house calls.

I think building a portable arranger into a nice cabinet (from which it can be removed) would be better, if you (or your significant other) want a more homey/furniture look.

Ian

#402849 - 05/27/15 12:43 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: ianmcnll]

Ian, great idea, I’m into building stuff. My thought was to purchase a used quality organ.

In the past I bought two Wersi organs for a fraction of the original price. Working in a major piano I had a chance to get the shell of an organ – the amplifier was working but the rest had seen better days. Having two top-of-the-line keyboards built in a piece of furniture with a more than adequate amplifier was a dream, I'm sorry I passed it up.

John C.

#402857 - 05/27/15 03:30 PM Re: Keyboard weight [Re: ianmcnll]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By: ianmcnll
I think building a portable arranger into a nice cabinet (from which it can be removed) would be better, if you (or your significant other) want a more homey/furniture look.

Ian

Don Mason already did that many years ago, Ian.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online