#402761 - 05/25/15 09:30 AM Re: GUESS [Re: john smies]
rosetree
Unregistered

Ha, I'm proud of having nailed the Ketron trumpet wink

#402762 - 05/25/15 09:32 AM Re: GUESS [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By: DonM
Drums too good to be Yamaha. Probably Korg. KMA? Or Ketron with midi drums.

I had it pretty much right. smile

#402788 - 05/26/15 09:45 AM Re: GUESS [Re: DonM]
john smies Offline

Loc: koudekerke, Holland.

You were both pretty close which should not be surprising knowing your experiences Don with several Korgs and the fact tht Rosetree owns (among others) the Ketron SD1000 module.
It was just a spur of the moment thing to finally combine my two keyboards via MIDI and use only one clock. I could have taken more daring styles or played a real song instead of just extemporizing with five chords but that was not my goal. At the risk of invoking the wrath of Ian, Donny, and others I would maintain that the Ketron drums, even those on the 1999 Ketron X1 model exceed the drum sounds on virtually all Yamaha models with the possible exception of the audio drums with which I am not familiar.
I recall owing a Solton MS50 (= ketron) in 1996 and that already in those days their drum department was way ahead of the competition. They also had outstanding samples for musette, breath sax and a few more, while lagging substantially in other sections, noticably piano and guitar.
As such I am looking forward as mentioned to the experiences of those acquiring the Ketron SD7.

regards,
John

#402789 - 05/26/15 10:40 AM Re: GUESS [Re: john smies]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
The audio drums on the S950 and T5 or of course very good. They are, however, pretty specialized for the particular song or genre for which they were created. I really liked the jazz and swing audio drum styles. Problem is they make the Yamaha midi drums pale in comparison. It's probably just me but without a LOT of tweaking Yamaha drums just don't sound live enough.
Captain Russ, who can afford to buy any arranger every made, or all of them for that matter, still uses Solton (Ketron) MS 60's. He primarily only used bass and drums from his arrangers. They have always had the drums right, in my opinion. I remember they blew me away on the old X1 even.
I have no problem with drums on Korg or Roland. Yamaha and Casio need work. They should sound good out of the box!
I'm going to catch hell for mentioning Yamaha and Casio in the same sentence aren't I? smile

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online