SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#402136 - 05/08/15 06:30 AM Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB?
Dnj Offline

Hard to beat sound & style wise! cool2

Edited by Dnj (05/08/15 06:51 AM)

#402141 - 05/08/15 07:24 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Does it have panel memories like the old Technics keyboards?

#402143 - 05/08/15 07:29 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: RMepstead]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: RMepstead
Does it have panel memories like the old Technics keyboards?

My old technics KN5000 was a great Kb for it's time but in no way is it even in the same league as Tyros 5...

#402152 - 05/08/15 08:22 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Having owned both an Audya 4 and a Korg Pa3x, i can state that the T5 as a whole package blows them away in ease of use, soundquallity and playing fun..

I love the styles of the Audya, but Yamaha is not far behind
I love the extra features and edditabillity of the Pa3x..

But the SA2, organ world and ensemble voices are just to much fun to play with to ever move back...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#402176 - 05/08/15 01:32 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
leezone Offline

"what more do U need in an arranger KB?"

Real Live Drums
Real Live Guitars (accompaniment)
Real Live Bass

that's just 3 things off the top of my head,
but I can think of a few others :-)

#402179 - 05/08/15 01:38 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I guess everyone has their needs and opinions, ...but to my ears and Ive tried almost all of them the T5 as a whole sounds amazingly realistic & balanced compared to all the others....it's still MY #1 choice at this time.

#402180 - 05/08/15 01:44 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
mirza Offline

Loc: london,ontario.canada
If T5 had much better editing tools for sounds, samples and styles, drum mixer than I could say it is almost perfect.

TYROS 5,BEHRINGER X32PRODUCER,YAMAHA DSR112,JBL PRX618s XLF,EV ZLX12p,SENNHEISER E945,....ETC

#402186 - 05/08/15 03:21 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: leezone]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: leezone
"what more do U need in an arranger KB?"

Real Live Drums
Real Live Guitars (accompaniment)
Real Live Bass

that's just 3 things off the top of my head,
but I can think of a few others :-)

Just get some professional VSts and they will convince you that audio drums, guitars and basses are something of the past...

as far as styles go, i am quite happy with my Tyros sound, almost on par with Ketron styles, ... And when it comes to solo sounds it blows the ketron away with its sa2 and ensemle sounds

#402187 - 05/08/15 03:23 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: mirza]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: mirza
If T5 had much better editing tools for sounds, samples and styles, drum mixer than I could say it is almost perfect.

I agree with you... Actually i would have loved the same options as on a motif, because it is the same sound engine...( actually the T5 engine is more advanced.. But they never added the edditing options..

#402188 - 05/08/15 03:24 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

Best part in about 5 years you can pick up a T5 for $1000.00 on eBay...just sayin'.. coffee

#402252 - 05/09/15 03:46 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
Songman55 Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD USA
Donny I agree with you. This is the most amazing KB I've heard in a long time. And, of course, Peter Baartmans is an incredibly accomplished musician. This is the best of the best. For me at this point in my life, it's too heavy and takes up too much real estate to use on the road. However, there is my studio............... Just saying.

Joe

#402253 - 05/09/15 03:59 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Songman55]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Songman55
Donny I agree with you. This is the most amazing KB I've heard in a long time. And, of course, Peter Baartmans is an incredibly accomplished musician. This is the best of the best. For me at this point in my life, it's too heavy and takes up too much real estate to use on the road. However, there is my studio............... Just saying.

Joe

Joe I agree the T5 sound & style wise is hard to beat....
I also ditto your size remarks & would be better suited in studio or home use,..especially for us who are gigging every day in and out. The S950 & hopefully it's NEW successor is more then enough to cover all the bases on a gig.

#402261 - 05/10/15 06:27 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
hammer Offline

Loc: Texas
Joe and Donny,
I had 2 S950s and eventually went back to my Tyros 4 and bought a 2nd one.
Why? Because EVERY time I play my Tyros 4 on gigs I have gotten outstanding reactions and comments about how wonderful the keyboard sounds. That never happened with the S950. Yes, it is heavier and yes I often wonder "what was I thinking?". But it sure does sound great. By the way, I tried the T5 too and did not care for it any more than my Tyros 4s.

Deane

#402262 - 05/10/15 07:11 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: hammer]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: hammer
Joe and Donny,
Why? Because EVERY time I play my Tyros 4 on gigs I have gotten outstanding reactions and comments about how wonderful the keyboard sounds. That never happened with the S950. Yes, it is heavier and yes I often wonder "what was I thinking?". But it sure does sound great. By the way, I tried the T5 too and did not care for it any more than my Tyros 4s.

Deane

I dont really think the difference in sound quallity is huge in a live situation..

But in my home on my studio monitots the difference is huge, guitars sound so much better, double the number of sa2 sounds, .ensemble voices that can make you sound just wicked, the organ sounds...

But then in a live situations, will people hear that?, i guess they mostly base their opinion on your singalong voice quallity...

#402263 - 05/10/15 08:00 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I own the T5 and I would like to see a couple of things

as a Guitar player I would like 1 extra mic / line input so I can tap into the great guitar effects and still use the mic setting I would like to see the Demo button go away better Piano sounds on board EQ buttons for real time edit on the fly cubase intration like motief

256 poly , and a case that fit it. that is not 50 lbs

Ron

#402265 - 05/10/15 08:59 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: hammer]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Originally Posted By: hammer

Deane

I've spent a lot of time on a friend's Tyros5-76, and it does sound pretty damn good, but the extra features weren't anything I'd use very much, so I stayed with the equally great sounding Tyros4 and couldn't be happier.

I also found a significant distinction between the S950 and my Tyros4, especially with the latter's SA2 sounds and its ability to use SA/SA2 voices in the styles ( a marked difference for sure).

I don't sing on gigs, and since sound quality of the instrument is even more important when doing all instrumental music, I feel the Tyros4 is well worth the extra weight and cost...not to mention the higher quality FSX keyboard, better feeling pitch/modulation wheels and an extra pedal input.

If I was to go back to gigging steadily, I'd probably pick up another Tyros4 as a backup, so I could have one set at home, and one in the gig bag ready to go.

Ian

#402279 - 05/10/15 07:41 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
J. Larry Offline

Loc: University, MS 38677 USA
I agree with those who gig with the S950 and leave the Tyros 5 at home. That’s exactly what I do. Why can’t the T5, 6, 7, or whatever the name, weigh about like a PSR model? Maybe Yamaha feels like we’re getting more for the money with weight and larger dimensions. What exactly is in the electronics and sound components of the T5 over and above the S950 that adds to the weight and size? Maybe that’s a ploy of Yamaha to encourage players to purchase one of each.

#402280 - 05/10/15 09:49 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: J. Larry]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: J. Larry
I agree with those who gig with the S950 and leave the Tyros 5 at home. That’s exactly what I do. Why can’t the T5, 6, 7, or whatever the name, weigh about like a PSR model? Maybe Yamaha feels like we’re getting more for the money with weight and larger dimensions. What exactly is in the electronics and sound components of the T5 over and above the S950 that adds to the weight and size? Maybe that’s a ploy of Yamaha to encourage players to purchase one of each.

Both these boards arent meant for gigging... they are meant to be home players toys, and with that in mind, Yamaha develops them..

For Yamaha gigging is an aftertought..

#402281 - 05/10/15 10:09 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

#402283 - 05/10/15 10:32 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
My Tyros4 weighs about 38 lbs with the case, so I'm not too concerned with weight, and, like Deane (Hammer), I much prefer it over an S950 for gigging.

The overall sound is beefier, not to mention those wicked and very expressive SA2 voices.

It's an instrument that can be used equally at home, on stage and in the studio. I would put the S950 as more of a "home" instrument than the Tyros, mainly because of the former's built in speakers, although it does manage to find its way on many stages, at least for several SZ'ers.

Part of the Tyros4's (and T5's) heavier weight can be traced to the FSX semi-weighted keybed, and, I for one, don't mind the extra pounds when I can have such a fine action under my fingers.

Tactile response is important to me, equally as much as expressive sounds, and the Tyros4 (and T5) excel at both.

Ian

PS...my buddy with the Tyros5-76, Johnny Coy, does solo gigs at least three times a week, and he just turned 76 years old...the weight is no problem for him either.

#402286 - 05/11/15 06:35 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: ianmcnll]
tassiespirit Offline

Loc: Devonport, Tasmania, Australia
It would be nice if the Tyros 5 was $2000 cheaper here in OZ, so it was in direct competition to the Korg PA3x, even though the Korg is older and has been out for a while now. Still a hard pill to swallow then add the extras on top of that ( if you need them).

Allan taz

#402289 - 05/11/15 08:09 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: ianmcnll]
musicforyourday Offline

Loc: So California, USA
I gig with my T4 and T5 5 to 6 times a week I think if yiou are a giging musican then use you best product why leave it at home and use a lower unit just saying

#402290 - 05/11/15 08:13 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
Tyrosman5
Unregistered

Hard to beat Tyros 5-76 or 6l for that matter. What I hope for
in the next Tyros is a simple way to adjust the drum sounds
I sometimes would like the brush sounds to be louder or a cymbal or whatever. Why should that not be an easy thing to do. Lloyd

#402296 - 05/11/15 09:37 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: ]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Tyrosman5
Hard to beat Tyros 5-76 or 6l for that matter. What I hope for
in the next Tyros is a simple way to adjust the drum sounds
I sometimes would like the brush sounds to be louder or a cymbal or whatever. Why should that not be an easy thing to do. Lloyd

How about adding the true edditing system, thats in the Motif, because essentially it is the same engine as the motif, they just dont give you all the voice edditing functions on the tyros.. ( sa2 voices are different )

#402325 - 05/12/15 04:05 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
For about a year we alternated between the Tyros. 4 and S950 at gigs. The Tyros is just at the next level sound wise...just seems to fill the room.

We gigged again last night with the Tyros..many compliments on the sound. We don't miss the S950.

#402342 - 05/12/15 08:45 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: guitpic1]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Considering the difference in price, I would hope there would be a difference in sound, unless the T4 has so many other features ...

#402346 - 05/12/15 09:15 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: tony mads usa]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: tony mads usa
Considering the difference in price, I would hope there would be a difference in sound, unless the T4 has so many other features ...

The tyros 5 has one feature, that makes it the only possible choice among all yamaha arrangers for me.... 76 keys.

The fact that the s950 has no sa2 voices, not the great organ section, not the awseome guitars including effects and amps, not the ensemble voices. Makes it an instrument in a whole different cattegory

#402350 - 05/12/15 09:56 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By: Bachus

The tyros 5 has one feature, that makes it the only possible choice among all yamaha arrangers for me.... 76 keys.

The fact that the s950 has no sa2 voices, not the great organ section, not the awseome guitars including effects and amps, not the ensemble voices. Makes it an instrument in a whole different cattegory

I disagree the S950 in capable hands sounds AMAZING on stage!! keys
I have owned Tyros units also & performed with them...it don't matter it's all in the players skill to sound good. Although the T4, T5 are wonderfull Kb'sDon't be fooled with the smoke & mirrors & fluff. cool2

Edited by Dnj (05/12/15 09:57 AM)

#402353 - 05/12/15 11:50 AM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By: Dnj
Originally Posted By: Bachus

I disagree the S950 in capable hands sounds AMAZING on stage!! keys
I have owned Tyros units also & performed with them...it don't matter it's all in the players skill to sound good. Although the T4, T5 are wonderfull Kb'sDon't be fooled with the smoke & mirrors & fluff. cool2

Noboddy says the 950 sounds bad, its a great instrument..

However i am virtually certain that a top knotch player can archieve so much more on a T5... But then as long as you are happy with your 950 there is absolutely no reason to burn dollars on something different

Edited by Bachus (05/12/15 11:53 AM)

#402440 - 05/14/15 07:56 PM Re: Tyros 5 what more do U need in an arranger KB? [Re: Dnj]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Sorry! to throw a wrench in here, but I detect 100 percent Yamaha loyal fans,going from a Tyros 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5 etc; I've had all the brands(KORG,ROLAND,YAMAHA,GEM,KETRON,TECHNICS) of arrangers and for the money and the flexibility that you get the KORG PA3x is still KING for me, for the moment, hmmm I wonder what's around the corner? Now, if only YAMAHA would be more competitively priced to buy, maybe more keyboardist would buy it and not just their fans?

Edited by vangelis (05/14/15 07:56 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online