SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#401918 - 05/01/15 07:10 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Wow! What incredible talent. After watching the last batch of performers, it kinda makes me wonder why I continue to play at all. They were absolutely fantastic, and they obviously knew how to make those keyboards jump right out and grab the audience's undivided attention - they sure got my attention.

Thanks again, Donny,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#401919 - 05/01/15 07:14 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
124 Offline

Had the pleasure of meeting Kevin K. down on Fisherman's Wharf a few years ago. What a player, and what a gentleman. Thanks for putting these up, Donny.

#401921 - 05/01/15 08:19 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: 124]
Dnj Offline

I'm glad you'all enjoying it,...... there is so much OMB talent out there too many to ever post here. We can all learn something from each one....after almost 50 years I still find something to learn from when I listen to players of all kinds of music. No one knows it all, many think they do, just sayin' wink.....keep an open mind and always be ready to absorb NEW things musically, and ask lots of questions, you won't regret it. cool2

#401925 - 05/01/15 10:16 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: tony mads usa]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
As a duo with female singer we got more BIGGER better paying jobs than I have as a single. She developed a serious medical condition that caused her to quit singing. I was fortunate that many of our clients kept me as a single for a number of years. Now there are multiple male/female duos in the market. I still get some of those jobs but not as many. Had to do a little re-inventing and go after different clientele.
Still....all is good.
Eddie

#401933 - 05/01/15 07:48 PM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
ianmcnll Offline

Loc: Cape Breton Island, Canada
Thanks for posting these videos, Donny...some real good talent out there.

Ian

#401940 - 05/02/15 07:11 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
Listening to Kevin is like listening to Dexter Gordon to me. It's not good. As a matter of fact it is downright depressing!! It makes me want to get up, take everything I own music wise, lay it in the driveway and run over it a hundred times with my 3/4 ton pick-up truck !! Yes! Even my sax. I could play for 300 years and not come close to those 2 real musicians. Some are geniuses and some are entertainers. To me it a very huge gap.

I'm going to listen to some Elvis, Jerry lee Lewis and those entertainers and gain some of my confidence back if at all possible.

#401941 - 05/02/15 07:20 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

I hear ya Boo...personally although a very good player.....
all those constant runs Kevin does give me a headache.....just not my cup of tea...

#401969 - 05/03/15 11:39 AM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
Dnj Offline

#401971 - 05/03/15 12:52 PM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
There are lots of street corner and subway OMBs in this country, and from what I can see, none seem to make enough to cover their transportation costs to and from the place they're playing. Obviously, they are very talented, but you have to make a living as well. The best thing I ever did in this business is get the Hell out of the nite club segment of the business, and jump into the NH segment with both feet. Most of the time I can make more in one hour than many club entertainers make in an entire evening of playing, including tips. I guess all those street and subway performers have fond hopes of being discovered by some talent agent who just happens by while they're playing their hearts out.

Some of these guys have more musical talent in their little finger than most of the folks on this forum have in their entire bodies - me included. WOW! However, most of them DO NOT sing, which I consider an integral part of the entertainment business. Sinatra was not a player, he was a crooner. Same with Deane Martin, Perry Como, and a host of other famous entertainers. Now, Liberace, Ricki Ricardo, Montovante, Ferante and Ticher, and a short list of other musicians were quite famous for their musical abilities, but only a handful made a fraction of the income from the business that those singers made.

Sorry to somewhat derail the thread, Donny - it's a great thread and I love listening to and watching those OMB guys perform.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#401972 - 05/03/15 12:56 PM Re: The LIFE of a One Man Band...... [Re: Dnj]
brickboo Offline

Loc: Fruita, Colorado, USA
If I bet $100 would I win if I said I was the only Person on this whole forum that listened to every note of the guy at the bottom of the staircase
? No offence to Chas, but he didn't listen to every note because he is more of a Funk, Fusion, Modern Jazz. Although Chas is doing Jazz it is different then this bebop, sort of progressive jazz. Of course he may have. If so, he's the only one. Too many notes for entertainers.

Edited by brickboo (05/03/15 01:02 PM)

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online